I was diagnosed three years ago with celiac disease. Since that time I have been extremely diligent watching my diet and usually have no symptoms. However, in the last year or so I have found that my stomach/abdomen becomes extremely bloated and distended plus lots of pain and gas if I lay down after a meal. I notice the symptoms after standing back up or rolling over to my other side and then I am miserable and in pain for about one or two hours afterwords. It reminds me of my symptoms pre-celiac diagnosis, but I know it isn't my diet as I have not eaten anything with gluten. Does anyone have similar problems? Any ideas/suggestions for me would be extremely helpful!! Thanks.

I have never heard of anyone else having this issue. I am sorry for your pain but exited that I am not the only one. I have had this condition since I was little. No docter or test has been able to tell me anything!! I have always tried to control it by eating little and NEVER laying down during the day. It sucks!!! I can't lay out at beach, lay down for afternoon nap with kids, even if a docter ask me to lay back for exam...I am in pain for several hours. Please if your docters find anything...let me know!!!
Good Luck

Hey. I have a similar situation because something like  that happened to my aunt who, unfortunately passed away three years ago. All I knew is that she was in extreme pain, also had celiac disease, and my brother took her to a specialist. All I know is that she managed to successfully get past it and cure her distended abdomen. I suggest you go and see a specialist too, or your doctor. It might be appendix, or a hernia, also have you eaten something out of the ordinary recently? It may be an allergic reaction to some particular ingredient or something like that. Let us know what you did.

I can't believe I'm reading this. I have suffered with this for years and years. Absolutely cannot lay down at ANY time during the day or end up suffering for the rest of the day with tremendous gas and bloating pain. Doubled over in pain. Can't lay down for a nap, cannot go to a dr. appt. during the day, in fear that I will have to get into a horizontal position. Please, please if anyone knows what causes this and a solution to this problem,, please respond.

I can't believe I'm finding other people with this problem! I googled it as a last-ditch effort to try to find out what has been causing these problems for me for YEARS! I cannot lay down for naps or even just on the couch to watch tv... my doctor seems baffled, and I finally saw a gastroenterologist who wanted me to take some anti-gas medicines, but I read about their awful side effects, so I just gave up! I've had ultrasounds (they thought it was my gall-bladder), and scans of other sorts... Do I need to have an endoscopy? How can I find out if I have a food intolerance? I've never heard it was as simple as a blood test. Isn't an upper GI the only way to see if you have celiac? I don't know exactly where to go from here, but I feel like I'm the only one working on my problem, so I want to go to my dr. armed with information, since she doesn't seem to have any!
Any help is appreciated!

I have suffered the exact same thing all my life except that I've found that the pain only comes if I lie down on my back (or any reclining position no matter how slight) after eating; there is NO PAIN if I lie on my stomach. Doctors originally thought it was acid reflux but that doesn't explain the lack of pain when lying on my stomach. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what causes this?

I used to not be able to lie down on my back without experiencing pain (though on my stomach was fine), though mine was not as severe as some of what has been described. After being treated for a stomach ulcer, though I still have other issues, I can lie down on my back now.

I have been suffering from upper abdominal pain since I was a pre-teen. I had other symptoms and was diagnosed with crohn's when I turned 40. My crohn's is under control with Humira but the upper abdominal pain is as bad as ever. No doctor has ever been able to explain it nor has any doctor seemed to care. I can't ever recline, ever! I am completely sleep deprived as the pain creeps in when my home-made prop fails me and I slip down as I doze. I wake up about 8-10 times /night. I've become so used to it that I forget to mention it to my doctor when I see him. If anyone out there has any ideas of what it might be let me know.

I have had the same problem since I was a kid. Nice to know I'm not alone, though wish we could all find out more.

Sometimes, drinking hot tea right after eating helps some. Discovered this when camping by accident. Try no lieing down after eating when you've hiked all day and you are so cold an tired you HAVE to get in that sleeping bag.

I can lay on my sides or stomach all night but the moment i lay on my back I get tremendous pain in my stomach feels like extreme hunger or gas perhaps it's an ulcer?

I have had a pain right in the middle about 3 to 5 inches under the radius of the breast bone. It comes on about 5 hours after I lay down to go to sleep. I have had scopes, for the last year I have been taking Nexium, recent blood tests, catscans, It is weird because I will feel absolutley normal going to bed but like clock work wake up at around 3:30 am with a sensation there. It is becoming more frequent nd will last up to a few hours after I wake up and eat, then pretty much normal again until the middle of the night. I have tried water fasting for a day and it still comes on. I have yet to make a food distinction, because I can eat a Mexican dinner and it does not come on, but I also could have oatmeal for dinner and it will. ny thoughts? Thank you.

I am reading all these posts and am also amazed I am finding others with a similar problem as mine. My problem is most similar to the Guest post from 8/28/08, i have suffered for two years now with intense stomach pains/distended belly/massive gas production if I lie down in the evenings about 1 - 2 hours after a meal. I had not correlated it to the lying down part until recently, I almost always lie down with my children to put them to sleep around 8:00 every night. After I get up I have horrible gas and related stomach pain for about 2 hours. Then it is gone and I sleep fine and it is fine every day during the day, unless I take a nap within 1 - 2 hours after a meal, and then I am sick. I had a CT scan, blood work up and upper GI two years ago and they found nothing that would be causing this. My gastro doc recommended probiotics. The one he prescribed did not work and after that I went on Digestive Advantage for Gas and it worked great, my symptoms almost disappeared. so I stopped taking the probiotic. Here we are almost 2 years later and I am having the symptoms again. This time my mom recommended Sustenex and it had been working very well, but the pain is back again and so I am going through another round of tests again. I suspect they will find nothing. Like the other authors here, if anyone knows of a solution I would give a small fortune for it. From a personal-life standpoint, it is quite sad that my husband does not want to be anywhere near me most evenings as a result of this turbo odoriforous gas I am emitting every evening.

Yes i am 14 and although i havent really oticed hurting i will wake up with the pain in my right or left abdominal and when im sitting on a chair reclined it will hurt as well, the only remedy i have found is laying on my stomach, does anyone know what this is, because alot of people are going through it so there must be something that is up??

I'm 16, and i've noticed than when i lay on my back sometimes i get intense stabbing pains in my lower stomache and er lady parts. I have no clue why, but i can't hartdly lie on my back at all.

khaskins, Where can I get the blood test done?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use