Back pain / Bowel Movement Hello , I am 42 years old. I have developed chronic lower back pain that is differnt than any other i have experienced. When i wake in the morning my lower back hurts tremndously. The pain is present until I have a bowel movement. Afterwards the pain subsides. It does not hurt during the movement. No pain associated while having the bowel movement. I go regular like clockwork every day. I can however judge by the severity of back pain in the morning judge the size of bowel movement i will have. Higher level pain = larger stool. I excersie , physically active , eat well. If anyone has experienced this please provide some insight. Beau D

I have the same thing. I have to get out of bed if I wake early, regardless of how much sleep I have had, because of the back pain. No change of sleep position will help ease the pain. As soon as get up from bed and move, the pain eases and once I have a bowel movement or gas release, the pain is gone... until the next morning.

I have the exact same problem as Kelly. Zero pain during and after and same problem every single day for 5 years + now. Any Dr's out there see and successfully treat this?

This doctor's response missed the point entirely. The pain precedes any attempt at bowel movement. The patient wakes with lower back pain and is forced to rise from a lying position and seek bowel movement or passage of gas to relieve the pain. I know! I have exactly the same problem. My doctor ordered an MRI yesterday in an attempt to determine the cause of this pain. Why does lying in bed produce the pain? And why does a BM relieve it?

You're right... nothing in the answer corresponds with the question asked. By now, a better answer should have been provided.

hi, Kelly, I am not a Dr., but have the same problem as you until it intensified recently. Anyway, if you have a herniated L-5 disc and or degenerative arthritis in that area, it could be the problem. I was told L-5 area and where the arthritis is has some nerves that correlate with the bowels, and those nerves contract to allow the bowel movement to come down and exit. Anyway, it is if you have herniated.bulging discs (a compromised back) cannot take the weight or pressure of bowel movements coming down and pressure of gas. My gastro is having me do a total clean out with 238 grams of Miralax with 64 ounces of Gatorade for today and then 1 capful of Miralax mixed in water everyday trying to avoid the mild constipation as it has trouble coming down due to my back. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, but she thinks my neurosurgeon may need to talk with my gastro to figure this out completely. Hope that helps you. I am truly sorry you go through this as I know this pain all too well.

New Member
1 post
Any update please as I'm having this too and I'm starting to freak out about it. I too get out of bed and my lower back is in agony until bowel movement.