Just wondering i am a mostly healthy mother of 2 who when having a period gets bad pain when having a bowel movement. It is like a sharp pain either in the stomach or my bottom. It is only really the first 2 days of my period. Any ideas?

Health Advisor
Well, as far as I know, painful bowel movements during periods are one of the common symptoms of endometriosis. I wonder that you haven’t been already diagnosed with it or that you haven’t suffered any other symptoms before. The most common endometriosis symptoms are: pain before and during periods, pain during sex, painful urination during periods, fatigue, frequent yeast infections, bloody stools, etc
Endometriosis is a condition in which the cells that make the uterine ling grow on other places beside uterus like ovaries, Fallopian tubes, bladder or bowels. The condition is rather annoying and there is no cure beside hysterectomy or menopause . Some women may have many problems conceiving while others may not have any.
I would suggest you saw a gynecologist a few days before you are about to get your period to see if the cells are growing elsewhere.
The condition is very painful because this lining also breaks down during periods (what we perceive as menstrual blood) and would like to get out but has no place to go.

Thanks Heidi,
I have never been diagnosed with endometritis. I never had a problem conceiving and have never experienced any of the other symptoms.
I will see the gyno though...
I wonder if perhaps it could be something to do with my iron levels?

Hello!

I have a pain in periods during passing my urine ,stool and even gas.I have very terrible periods.I have pain in my body specially in my legs,back and tummy too.this was very much panic 'cause i hardly stand up.I also having migrine.I am unmarried and virgin and 27 years old.sometime i missed my periods,and this year i missed my periods very much.also i am feeling tired but i do my job regulary.I have body pain and migrine commonly.I also have flu which is inner means droping in my throat.very rapidly i lose my hair.but my period side really i am very worried abt that.plz suggest me something,'cause our society or in our family this is felling very bad that someone examine there daughter who is virgin or unmarried.there is no permission to examine gynochologist.so suggest me any general thing which is good for my periods.

yes one thing more during periods my face is looking pale and my eyes also. and in the first days of my periods or before starting of periods just before 1 or 2 days my hand and my foots are swollen.

my collegue is a doctor, he suggest me some iron drops due to my rapid illness like fever,body pain weekness, every month i was ill or feeling of tiredness.

so plz suggest me something very common which i easily do.plz..

Thanks.You are always listen our problems and give suggestions.
Thanks again

Hi, I know exactly what you are talking about. I get very sharp pains up my anus during a bowel movement. It's the worst feeling, I just wanna yell and its only the first day or 2 at the start of my periods. It even hurts to pass wind sometimes. Weird. I think because at the start of your period everything is swollen inside which causes pain. Then once you are passed the heaviest day, everything goes back to normal.

Oh yea...I feel so scared to have a bowel movement during that 1st or 2nd day of my period because I too have this sharp stabbing pain. It is awlful! I have 2 kids and have never had this problem until after I had my last baby a year & 1/2 ago. Now my periods are much heavier and I get this pain. I wish there was an explanation for it. I heard that the birthcontrol pill might help, so I am going to look into that.

hey there! can't believe SOMEONE knows what I'm talking about! i'm a healthy mother of five and the pain that we experience has been so bad i actually passed out last month....woke up on the bathroom floor! a few things I've noticed...diet and excersise are VERY important ..when I am diligent about eating right and excersising regularly...the pain is NONEXISISTENT! I promise....give it a try...i'm getting my butt back on the treadmill...people ask me how I can stay in such great shape....THIS IS THE REASON! I don't want to experience this pain every month! it really helps...no medication...no tricks...this is the answer!

Im so glad Ive found others with the same problem, I have the same pain and it only started after the last miscarriage I had. Excruciating.
I have 2 children and Ive had 5 miscarriages (beforwe and after) we have been trying to concieve for 11 months now and no luck, all other times Ive fallen in the first month of trying. ??? So could this be due to endometriosis????

Oh ladies, I am so glad I found this!!!!!! About 1 year ago I started having this exact same experience. Has anyone had a medical diagnosis? I'm somewhat afraid to go.

Like everyone else, I am so happy to see that there are other women who can sympathize with my pain! When I feel the sharp, contraction-like pain I just have to steady myself because there's nothing that I can do. The pain is paralyzing! I have passed out because of it. I am only 20 years old! haha if this is a small taste of childbirth then I am terrified!! I went to the doctor, and he said that it was probably endometriosis, so he put me on Birth Control (Lo-Ovral) to see if it helps. It really works! The past three months I have not had any trouble with this whatsoever. However, my third month (time to come off of the pill for a few days to have a period) it has been excrutiating. No medicine will even make a dent on the pain. But i think that experiencing this four times a year opposed to twelve is a great thing.

i never thought there was other people that has this problem except me. im only 17 and have severe anus pain during my period i find it extremly hard to sit down. when i stand up and trying to go for a poo. i scream the pain is that bad. i cannot go to a doctor as theres no way anyones looking at my ass and im so shy. :-( %-) o.O :$ >:(

I have had severe, stabbing pain only on my right side. The pain gets much worse during menstruation. I have had two children and two c-sections. Comparible to labor, my pain during menstruation is about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. I have had numerous ultrasounds that have found small cysts. My doctors say these are not big enough to cause the amount of pain I have. The pain is extremely sharp and makes it hard to talk even breathe sometimes.
My doctors recomend birth control, but I get severe headaches when on them. I am at a loss. Either I suffer from severe pain in my abdomen for 2 days each month or suffer from terrible headaches 3 times a week from the birth control. Any ideas?

Oh my gosh I can't believe other people go through this. I'm so glad I found this. I seriously thought I was the only one in the world. I have been dealing with this pain for 6 years now. It started my senior year of high school. Later that year my first semester in college I got excruciating pain in my right abdomen and went to the ER. They thought it was appendicitis, but did a scan and told me I have cysts on my ovaries and that one ruptured. Since then I have seen 3 different gynos and no gyno has ever seen any cysts on my ovaries. I had been on birth control regulary this entire time. I have also gotten annual paps and never had any abnormalities. I have told the gynos about the pain (it never went away it comes and goes) and she suggested the GI doctor. So now I have my first GI appointment next month. I don't think mine is endometriosis because wouldn't they have found some sort of abnormalities by now? Every pap comes back fine, as well as every ultrasound they've done. I've seen 3 different doctors and same answer every time. Is there anything GI related that could cause this?

I am so relieved to see that there are actually women out there with symptoms that i experience. I am 17 years old i have endometriosis which during my surgery they removed, and i had to have a "chocolate cyst" removed. since my surgery i have had horrible pain with my bowel movements and urinating when i am on my period. i also have functional cysts which are VERY painful when they burst, i get them ALOT. i have tried birth control but i had a very severe reaction to it. i have unbearable menstral cramps. could there be adhesions from my surgery or could my endometriosis be back?? please any advice would help!

Guest - The only way to diagnose endo is through Lap surgery. I never had an abnormal pap smear and the only thing I was experiencing was very painful periods. Trying to go poopies was excrutiating. Ouch! I would scream out in pain. I was also experiencing infertility. I just had lap surgery done last Thursday and was surprised that they found quite a bit of endo and scar tissue and removed a couple of ovarian cysts. I think they found endo on my colon as I am experiencing extremly painful poopies right now. I called the dr. and he said it was normal considering everything I had done inside of me. I wish you luck and would look into having a Lap.