I had a total hysterctomy about a week ago and I have not had a bowel movement since. Is this normal after surgery? I need some relief! Can someone tell me something I can do to bring me some relief.

The hospital gave me milk of magnesia and a suppository 2 days post-op. I didn't work. So, 4 days's after surgery I took a mild laxitive. I had gas pains all through the night, but the next morning it was worth it. I felt so much better.

Hallo,
You have to know that constipation is not that rare after having hysterectomy. You have to know that this procedure is not a simple one and you will need time to recover. How much water do you drink? You know that water is necessary for recovery, but it is also necessary for having normal bowel movements. Have you had any pain during urination? This also might be an issue after hysterectomy. Do you feel bloated all the time? Sometimes you will be having gasses and you have to know that this is normal and happens to many who undergo the hysterectomy. Have you considered some over the counter medication to ease this issue?
I hope this helped a bit

I had a hysterectomy and had a bowel movement on the third day after surgery. My physician advised me to drink plenty of water and take a stool softener. I am five days post-op and feel great. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of the right ovary, because of past surgery I was not a candidate for vaginal or laparoscopic surgery. I am taking motrin for pain and get my staples removed on Monday.