I could really use some input. I also have very itchy legs, around the ankle and calf area. It doesn't only itch after a shower, it itches all throughout the day. The skin is very dry and harder then usual and I am getting little dark spots which is really annoying me. I can even wear shorts without feeling embarrassed. Has anyone been through this and know what this is or know any good remedies for it? Please help. Thanks.

I have developed the same type of condition. At the beginning, it started with a very extreme athlete foot, after I stepped on a slimy wet floor while barefooted. Apparently, the slimy floor was perhaps, under my suspicion, contaminated with wild pigeon's fecal droppings. The athlete foot went away after a few weeks after applying good care to it, but the sensation of ants crawling all over my lower extremities, in sporadic fashion, its still an issue that I deal with on a continuous basis.

Despite the disappearance of the athlete's foot, I have also noticed that, ever since then, the appearance of random but permanent darkening spots have become apparent on my feet, ankle, and lower to mid calves of both legs. At the beginning, I thought of them as varicose veins, but then later realized that was a strange skin disorder that seems to be spreading up my legs. I'm also noticing that the skin sorrounding the darkening spots it's turning more dry and harsh as time goes by.

I have not gone to a dermatologist as of yet, but plan to go to one, soon. I guess my reason for procrastinating, its due to the little discomfort that one feels, nevertheless, this might be to be a the type of condition that if left unattended, one might regret later.

Please, if someone has any type of feedback that can provide both of the bloggers here on this forum, with crucial information we'll be greatly appreciated.

Tony

i need help also. at first it was the itching. would drive me mad. now the skin on my calves is growing increasingly darker. don't know if it's part of condition or a result of scratching so much.

I have it to. It is on my legs and the top of my feet. I'm trying to use nizoral shampoo to wash the legs and athletes foot cream on them. First tried yeast infection cream (monestate) and it did well stopping the itch. but not the spots. Have you all tried anything else that worked?

The dark spots are most probably hyper pigmentation. I have random dark splotches on my calves and feet. If this is what you have, it's just some of the pigment cells have begun to malfunction and turn darker. It's harmless besides being embarrassing. The itching is probably very dry skin. Does the itching stop when you put lotion on it?

"Lichen Simplex Chronicus (LSC) is actually more of a symptom than a specific disease itself. The skin eruption is created by habitually scratching a certain area over a long period of time. This scratching causes characteristic changes such as thickening and darkening of the skin, and an accentuation of normal skin lines. These changes are called lichenification.

Lichen Simplex Chronicus is seen in people with eczema. Although eczema can affect the whole body, the eruption of LSC in usually found in one area. The nerve endings in this area are irritable and trigger an itch-scratch-itch cycle. The more the eruption is scratched or rubbed, the more it itches, continuing the cycle."

pulled this info from a site about dermatitis... I started seeing symptoms about 2 months ago.

I believe mine is from sun damage. When I was young and living in Phoenix, I walked to the store in the 115 heat and my legs blistered. Now as I get older I have blotches from my ankles to my calves. I am proud that people ask me about it cause, I can show them the effects of sun damage.

I have this very same condition. I have went to a dermatologist and he prescribed Chloebetasol. I put it on the affected area twice per day. It still hasnt went away, but he said that it is coming form me standing all day and fluid build up on my legs..which is correct. I do have alot of fluid build up on my legs. A fellow employee came in just yesterday and he has the same issue. His doctor says that his legs are not getting enough oxegyn to them. I try to stay off of my feet because I reefuse to wear the stockings that the dermatologist said I need to wear.

as for the dark, dry, and itchy part..i also have one due to the ankle weights that i used back then. it was very itchy and dry..i even considered it as scaly at time when i scratch it so hard.

then, i had an idea to use VASELINE petroleum jelly just last week, after 3 days of using it, i noticed that it was less itchy and the dryness lessened too. im still not sure about the darkness part though (i should have taken a before and after shot) it seemed to lighten on a few spots. i'll drop by again sometime if my condition improves or not.

im also adding a little massage on the part, i just feel that the blood does not circulate well in that area ...that's just my speculation though hehe.

Hi I've also had similar problems with itching around my ankle area on my right leg. It happened after summer of 2009 and has continued till now. I went to the doctors and they gave me cream called Celestone-M Cream. The cream sort of worked but didn't help as by that time it was at a very bad stage. I have some skin discoloration and there are also spots. The itchy bits looked like little pimples when tey first grew but i would scratch them so bad it would bleed etc. Im 22 years old, young, fit, same diet, same lifestyle habits, nothing had changed although the doctor did tell me that she had seen a few people come back with it after going to the beach for some reason. Anyway recently i went to another doctor and she decided to put me on anti-biotic along with the Celestone-M Cream. The anti-biotic is called DICLOCIL Dicloxacillin capsules and it helped! It has slowly been getting better and im on my second round it has been about 1.5 weeks and it has worked really well. I use the anti-biotic together with the cream and its doing well. I don't itch it at night anymore and it doesn't feel itchy anymore. The little pimple looking things haven't grown back and the skin is starting to get better I am so GLAD! So I just wanted to let anyone else with a similar problem know so that they can try this good luck!

hi ,i have dark black spots on my feet which goes upto the ankle.....it does not itch but is very embarising as it is dam visible when contacted my skin doctor he said use the medicine provided and it is due to my body wiehgt that the nerves are slashing blood which are to be seen as these dark black spot.this is continuing for the past few months i cant see any results....does anybody out here has the same problem?

If you don't scratch, the dark spots will disappear soon, so the problem is how to stop scratching now.

Your problem is caused by dry skin, but most of the moisturizers don't work at all.

Eight years ago, I was facing the same problem as you, it took me 3 years to find the final solution-a home remedy for itchy skin, check my profile for details.

As a nurse, I see many people come in with cellulitis. The legs/feet swell, and the swelling cuts off the circulation, which leads to skin eruptions and poblems, discoloration and sensation changes. When you deprive tissue of oxygen, there are many changes in it, and some small areas will even "die" off... leading to a chain reaction of other events.

The way to combat this:

1. loose weight

2. watch your blood sugar if you are a diabetic

3. keep legs elevated to reduce swelling

4. keep skin dry and clean

5. reduce cholesterol if it's due to poor circulation and take your meds

I have/had dry black patches on both ancles. So dry I could take a nail file to them to SAND THEM DOWN. I went to two (2) doctors... One a top rated Harvard doc; the second a general (find him in the phone book doctor)... BOTH of them blew me off and told me it's 'just a rash' and it will go away. It's been four years and it hasn't gone away. It's gotten better, but never gone. I purchased a pumice stone and scrubbed it while bathing. BUT HERE'S WHAT I'VE NOTICED... and, I can not seperate the two. Recently I needed to purchase athlete's foot spray for my husband (I used sprayed it on my ankles about three times) - AND - I am in the process of losing weight. I am eating more fruits and veggies (and tons of water/lemon) MY THREE INCH DARK SPOTS ARE LITTLE QUARTER SIZE PATCHES NOW.

So is it the weight loss or the spray? I don't know, I don't plan to use the spray again right now. If the spots keep going away with the pounds then I'll know what to do. If they come back, I'll use the spray, eitherway AFTER FOUR/FIVE YEARS I AM SEEING THEM GO AWAY!

It could be folliculitis