Hello all,
I have been suffering from very severe itching on the soles of my feet on and off for many years. Sometimes it disappears completely but it always returns. It seems to be invisible and has stumped many doctors. There is no swelling, no hives, no redness just insane itching that makes me want to scream and scrape a sharp object repeatedly across the soles of my feet! As well, it prevents me from falling/staying asleep, sometimes makes it difficult to concentrate at work and often makes me very irritable (probably in part from the lack of sleep). Two years ago after an incident on a ski hill (red raised welts all over my buttocks and back of legs which appear every time I go skiing), the emergency doctor believed that it was "cold and pressure urticaria". After doing some of my own research, I believe my itchy foot symptom is due to the related delayed pressure urticaria. I am seeing a dermatologist next week and hope to get some help. In the past I have tried cortizone creams and injections but they did not work at all. The only thing that seems to work is taking sleeping pills at night so that I can at least get some sleep! Here's my question: has anyone ever heard of severe itching as a sympton WITHOUT ANY OTHER symptom? I would really appreciate hearing from others who have suffered from this particular symptom.

I have been suffering from severe itching in my ankles and feet. There is no rash or any other visible symptom. Nothing seems to alleviate the itching except time. I usually experience the itching in the evening after I remove my shoes and socks, or while I am bathing. It gets really bad once I start scratching, but it's so miserable I have to scratch. I have tried cortisone creams which have no effect whatsoever. I empathize with you. It is driving me insane!!!

I have the exact same thing where the itching is insane on the soles of the feet and can last for hours with no other signs. It feels like there is something like a bug inside my soles trying to get out and I will drag my foot across carpet or objects as the intensity of the itching goes up and down. After scratching hard it will stop for a few seconds, then it returns with a vengeance. Then after all the torture it fades away and stops until the next time. It occurs maybe once a month. I thought maybe it was from getting pedicures???

Wow! I have the exact same thing. I found this when trying to see if I could find out what my problem was. The lack of sleep is driving me crazy! I haven't told my doc yet because I kind of thought I was just being silly, but it really is a problem!

Supporter
there is a good chance that is could be restless leg syndrome. I have it and it causes my legs and feet to uncontrollable itch and it prevents me from sleeping I would try suggesting this to your dr next time you see him

I have this too. In my case, it's almost like it goes beyond itch into pain, it's not just an

"ordinary" itch. It also has no other symptoms, no redness, swelling, etc. Some research I've

done in the past points me to a couple of possibilities, neither of them too much fun. One

is diabetic neuropathy and another is a liver prolem. I don't know why a liver problem would

cause intense itching on bottom of feet, but I read something that convinced me it could be the

case. I've never heard of INTENSE itching being associated with restless legs syndrome. It's

usually more of a dull pain or "creeping" sensation, or a visible muscle spasm. Often treated

with electrolytes: calcuim, potassium, magnesium, etc. Be careful about electrolytes, though,

they can be dangerous if used to excess. (Gatorade is good, but be careful). Hope this helps.

my husband has the exact same problem, this is why I am on the internet looking for answers. I wish there is a solution for you and him!

I have had it for years, intense itching on the soles of my feet and sometimes the palm of my hands. My family doctor says it's allergies. He put me on Claritin 10 mg. As long as I stay on it and don't miss or skip my daily pill I don't have the intense itching. Hope this helps you!

Allergies to what though? I have it too and I end up making my legs bleed at night from the itching... my doc gave me the alergy pills too but it didn't help me much at all...

If its on legs, that could be a symptom of Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Same thing here! Exactly. The after removing shoes and after bath is exactly the time I get it.....also after a pedicure. The only thing that offers me some relief is Desitin. slather that on your foot and put on a sock. I wish I knew how to prevent it.

I have been having terrible itching on top of my feet...mostly 1 foot at a time..mostly on top of the foot.. no rash or any visiable symptoms.. only thing that relief is soak in hot water for a few mins.. sometime i can go for 24 hrs some times only 3 or 4 hours before it starts again..most of the time it is the left foot... 25 percent the right foot...

It seems to be more common than I had thought. Its the same with me, when I take my shoes and socks off to take a shower, both of my ankles on and right by my ankle bone, itch a lot. I noticed that if I can keep from scratching them, it subsides soon. If some one finds out what is causing this, let me know and I will do the same.

I am itching all over but the bottom of my feet was unbearable. It is winter in Michigan and I am assuming it has to do with dryness, but my humidity in the house is 40% this really came on suddenly and I did not eat or do anything differently.

I don't think it's allergies. My husband gets it when he is overtired or stressed.

My father is reading a book about Dr Weary Dunlop and it mentions this itchy feet. Dr Dunlop seemed to think it was a lack of one of the B vitamins (my father recalls it was B2).

I was just trying to find something to support this theory and thought someone on this thread might know.