My father had some history of balance and strenght when walking. Back in 2000 I try to dance that when I first noticed the change that I lost my balance. And now I can not run or walk at a steady level. I feel like I'm loosing balance and strenght in my legs as I get older. Currently I'm 42 yrs, 6'2" tall, and slim weight about 160 lbs. How can I improve my condition?

You may have a neurological disorder or a muscular disorder or both. You need to see a neurologist to get to the bottom of this.

Yes, definitely investigate getting an MRI. I have vestibular dysfunction resulting from a neurological disorder known as NF2. As tumors grew larger on my acoustic nerve, they invaded the vestibular nerve and also compressed my brainstem. I have had radiosurgery and brain surgery for one tumor and now I need another brain surgery on the opposite side of my brainstem.

Walking for vigorously for at least an hour at least 5 times a week, strength training, water aerobics, and practicing standing on a BOSU balance device has helped me GREATLY! In 2005 my blance was so horrible that I would fall over like a tree just closing my eyes and standing in my kitchen! It was very discouraging because I am an active person with many hobbies.

In 2007 I became a member of Gold's gym and have been strngth training and going to water aerobics since then. AMAZING RESULTS! This summer I began scuba diving again and hiking in the mountains on difficult terrain. I have not been able to do those activities for years! It has been a breath of fresh air!

So first seek the source of the problem and see a neurologist and push for an MRI. While searching for an answer, try to be in the best health possible by engaging in walking 3-5 miles 4-6 times a week, lifing weights, and I would REALLY recommend water aerobics! It is fantastic for people with balance problems and also safe. Good Luck!