My grandfather is 76 years old and pretty much health for this age. Anyway, he started to worry me lately because he’s complaining about dizziness. I can’t see any logical cause of it, so I wonder if that is something serious. My mother wanted to take him to neurologist, but before that I would like to know what could be the reason for unexplained dizziness.

That is one of the most common causes that people over 75 years old ask for help of neurologist. That unexplained dizziness is called disequilibrium. Determining the cause of disequilibrium is often complicated by the effects of medications and muscle weakness. Some studies determined that patients with unexplained dizziness or disequilibrium have more white matter in brain. Also there can occur and atrophy of the brain, as reason for unexplained dizziness. Fact is that these white matter lesions are small brain damage areas. Those are caused by a gradual blocking of small arteries in the brain. These brain lesions create balance problems that make walking more difficult and cause unexplained dizziness. Magnetic resonance imaging MRI exam can be performed to role out some possible causes of balance and walking dysfunction.