Hi, I have a baby son who is 9 months old, and I have a question about bathing him. I think that a proper hygiene should involve retracting his foreskin, but my husband thinks it’s not a good idea. What do you think about this?

If your son is only 9 months old, you might not be able to retract his foreskin at all. If his foreskin cannot be retracted, don’t try to do that by force! You could hurt him easier than you think. This could cause bleeding, tears in the skin and pain. I think that bathing with warm water and some mild, baby soap is just enough for your son. He really doesn’t need retracting, especially if his foreskin is not yet naturally separated. You can bath your child with sponge and always be very careful that water isn’t too hot or too cold. I don’t think that you should use too many cosmetic products on your child, because babies are very sensitive. Use only the things that are really necessary like baby powder, mild bathing soap and baby shampoo.

Listen to your husband-you could ruin your son and seriously hurt him!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 3 sons and i was always told to rub their foreskins with baby oil until it was easy for them to pull their own foreskins back my kids are 16 14 and 12 i still bathe my 12 year old daily and my 16 and 14 year olds i bathe them on alternate days and on the off days they bathe themselves

I have a 16 year old son, and I have pulled his foreskin back since he was 1 year old. I only pulled it as far back as it would go , since he was about 14 I have been pulling his foreskin over the head of his penis. I pull it it back when he is flaccid and also when he's erect. Before he goes to bed I rub the tip of his penis with some petroleum jelly, so the tip of his penis isn't so sensitive.

The beginning of this thread is ancient but it's nice to hear from the last two. I was beginning to think I was the only boy in the world whose mother pulled his foreskin back beginning when he was a baby. There sure seems to be a lot of resistance to that by folks around here.

I was born in 1940 when they circumcised anything and everything that was sticking out/up. My mother objected and the doctor told her she had to pull it back and clean under it at every bath. She did that faithfully and I never had any of the problems we read about quite a bit on this forum, of difficulty pulling it back. She turned the job over to me when I was about 6, but she still checked in quite regularly when I was bathing to make sure it was getting done, by doing it herself.

She never lubed it up though. I think that's a very nice thing to do for your sons.

njoylife - What do you think about those guests stating that they are still doing this on their sons who have already started puberty - and when they are erect at that? I am not prudish at all...and am very much ok with nudity...and all... I have seen my step-son (14) naked since he has started puberty...and I don't want him to feel like he has to hide any part of his body...or be ashamed.

But I don't know that I think it's appropriate for a mother to be still touching her son's penis after puberty...and even more so when he has an erection. Just curious as to your opinion!

I don't feel there is anything wrong with it, unless the boy doesn't like it. I think there is a huge range of the amount of togetherness that is felt in families. I was probably about 8 or 9 when she stopped checking. That was because my father told her it wasn't appropriate at my age, not because either one of us was feeling awkward about it. Actually I was kind of disappointed that she stopped, because it was reassuring to have her checking to be sure everything was OK. I didn't feel I knew everything about what might look wrong but I felt sure my mother did.

Thinking about that a little more, I was older than 10 when she stopped. My father remodeled the kitchen and put in a new bathroom the summer I was 10 and I remember I was in that new bathtub when she told me she wouldn't be checking me any more. I don't think I ever got an erection when she was checking, or if I did, it wasn't a source of concern. By that time I was quite familiar with erections.

My earliest recollection of having an erection and knowing it, was when me and the neighbor girls began checking out our differences. I was about 7 when they thought of that game. Actually it was the older brother of one of them who caused it. He had told his little sister that girls had two biscuits and boys had a bat and two balls. Well, the next day when we were playing, she told the other girl, and me, and they both wanted to see. Of course I wanted to see those biscuits too. That was the first time I remember actually seeing my pee pee do anything other than leak water. When they looked at me she said it didn't look like her brothers, but after I pulled back the foreskin she said it did. They wanted to move that foreskin with their own hands and when they did it stood right up straight which surprised me as much as it did them. For the next few years that became an interesting thing to see, and they asked to see it often. Whenever they had a female friend or cousin visiting, they wanted to show her. That side show I had between my legs was much more fascinating to them than their biscuits were to me. The biscuits didn't do anything, but they sure had a lot of funny looking pieces of skin inside, like a firecracker went off in there. I couldn't understand why grownups made such a big deal out of hiding those girl parts from us boys. Boys actually had things to see and adults didn't seem to expend any effort hiding boy parts from any girls who might be nearby. I thought it was quite a double standard that it was OK for me to leave the bathroom naked and walk past any girls who happened to be in the house on my way to the bedroom to get dressed, while if there was a girl taking a bath, I was locked in my room until she was dressed.

But in my life, boys never got much privacy. From the 7th grade on we often encountered female teachers walking through our locker room/shower room. The locker room was on one side of a hallway/corridor and the showers were on the other side. We crossed that corridor naked all the time after gym class. Even in the grade school books, there were pictures of statues and cherubs with their boy parts hanging out but all the pictures of girls had skirts or something draped over them, and breasts were always covered. What the heck would they have to see, without the skirt, a little line? It just seemed so stupid. But it certainly promoted the idea that boys parts were practically public property while girls parts were very private.

So I don't think it would have seemed unusual to me that a mother might be taking care of her sons parts right up to the time he left home and probably her daughters too.

Maternity is an amazing thing, just do what your heart tells you is right.

I'm divorced. When my daughter turned 4 - I'd make her shower by herself. But I'd stand outside to make sure she cleaned herself. I'd ask, "Did you clean your thingy." She already knew it as her thingy. The thing is, she would play with herself, and her fingers smelled funny.

My mom brought it to my attention, and didn't know what to do. So she played with you thingy. So did I. Irish Spring works good.

The point, follow your heart -- you are a good mother.

To all the parents who still bathe their teen boys, thats disgusting. That isjust gross. Im 14 and I would NEVER let my mom see me naked. Let alone rub my thing every night. How perverted are you people. If thy cant clean them selves bye the age of ten then somethings up. Let do it them selves instead of being a wierdo and rbbing their penis for them every night.

David... While I personally agree with most of your points...it's also important to acknowledge that everyone isn't the same - and does not have the same believes! We can share our feelings without attacking the thoughts of others...

Its ok bathing with your sons as long as you keep it ok. Since they are boys you need to teach them to shower/bathe themselves. best wishes

Yes I remember this happening to me at bathtime when I was a child in the 1960's. My Mother would always bath me bath me at night and wash my hair, then afterwards she would dry me and before putting me in my pyjamas she would pull my foreskin back and rub it with baby oil. Afterwards she would put me to bed usually around 7pm I think this continued till I was around 14yrs old.

I am a mother of 3 boys..My eldest being 15 and my youngest 9.. I bathe all of my kids also. If you anyone wants to percieve this as being perverted than I hope they dont have kids. Sick minds breed sick intent!!

It is great that you take care of your children and you know they are clean and healthy.As a mother you have seen their erections all the time.And think nothing of their excitement.