My sone is 6 years old. An only child, very well natured and liked with lots of friends both girls and boys. I know that all boys get erections from birth and infact even before birth however I am seeking advice as to what would be considered normal in a boy of 6. We have found that if in the company of a girl of similar age he will often seek to gain privacy with her often in his bedroom however it could be anywhere where only him and the girl is present. I have watched this without him being aware and whilst his games are harmless and innocent he often gets and erection. Sometimes he will ask the girl to lay on him (we will be face down) or sit on his back which will result in him getting and erection. We are very concerned that in later life as he necomes more sexually aware that he is unable to easily control his sexual appitite and be forceful with girls or women. To this end we are looking for advice as to whether this is normal and if not what we can do about it.

Up until now we have started to make sure that he is not in this situaltion at all by monitoring play and where play takes place.

I look farward to any advice that can be given.

Im not a child expert but do know this. when i was 9 years of age i got an errection with another 9 year old boy when getting changed after swimming and before and after that i used to have dreams about naked kids my age. At another time a girl of around this age at the time asked me if had done it before and what seemed to me with my limited understanding of sex at the time was her trying to get me into the girls toilet for sex. We never did it of course as i was reluctant but that shows how early things like that may happen. I know don't ask but its true, i have lived it.

When i was 11 years old i had the most painful crush on a girl that i would ever have for the first and last time. I even started masturbating at that age only because of what i was feeling for her but i never tried to touch or rape her or anything. I was just becoming sexually aware a lot sooner than most. I remember talking to that girl when we were about 17 and she said that she never even started liking boys until about the age of 14. So it really varies.

Maybe it is just how some of us kids explored sexuality without knowing what we were doing, before other kids knew that it was possible i really dont know. But its not something you can stop and i dont think your son will be like jack the ripper or anything, he is just like my type very very early even though his, what seems to be sexual playfulness, is more early than i thought possible. I unlike most people have a very good memory from the age of around 5-8 so i know what i am talking about.

i can easily say that i am not a pervert lol and i got hard ons and things from a very early age so i dont think ur son will most likely be a bad person. I know a guy two years younger than me who is gay and said that he used to play with little boys his age at 7 and called it playing a game of "doctors" were he and them liked to touch each other. He told me that he would do just about everything if possible and as far as i know at 17 he isnt a rapist.

So no dont worry i dont think ull have any major cases on your hands thats just how it happends. Some kids are early some are not and im not saying your son is going to go around having sex at age 6 - 7, but he is more aware than most his age although like me back then and my friend it is clear that we didnt fully understand as far as your kid is aware its just fun.

Hope that helped

Now im only 14 so i might not be right but when i was younger i'd get an erection just while having fun. If i remember sex ed correctly an erection is when ur joyfull not neccicairly sexualy.(please excuse my spelling)

Listen,dont b affraid or b worried. He is a male and the male is the penis-owner and knows how to use and when. Let him do whatever he wants but do tell him about sexualtiy, pregnancy,condoms(even if he is small).
If you are still worried,follow him one day and catch him mastubating and tell him the pros and cons of masturbation and tell him the correct way as you did(ofcourse dont tell him like this "that i used to do like this" but)tell him the correct ways so that he doesnt hurt him. Dont stop him dude, or else he may fell very bad and turn out to be sumthing else.Also take him to doctor if necessary.

My son will be 8 soon, and is in the same stage. He even told me that his penis gets big when he sees a pretty girl. I did a bunch of searching, and I guess it's normal. I'm just going to monitor him with girls, and make sure he is educated age appropriately. Your Pediatrician can give you more advice on that.

hey, i'm an 17 year old female and i have a 9 year old brother. i know what you're talking about. i searched google and found this website trying to find out whether it's normal or not for a boy so young to have an erection. after reading a few websites, i've came to the conclusion that it is normal. i don't know when my brother started having them i just noticed this morning when i went into his room to wake him up, his penis was sticking straight up and moving in his underwear. to be honest, i was kinda freaked out. :/ he's only 9 i thought. but i'm thinking it's completely normal.
i wouldn't worry about it too much. ha, and if it makes you feel any better, he's not the only kid that does it. :-)

hope this helped any. :-)

i'm only 24 and have a decent memory of my younger years so i have a point of view most parents have lost but it seems to me that the biggest mistake parents make is denying children sexual information leading them to find it else where at 6 i wouldnt go giving him lectures but if he asks a question answer it (use the stork if you want but answer with something other than i'll tell you when your older) you want him to come to you for information because if you deny him information he'll look else where to find it and who know's what he will find then

ok....im not very old (25y.o)but i know that the sexual apetit not for sex just for masturbation is coming after a crush around 11-12..y.o or anything that includes a girl same or older age......when i was around 11-12 years I got a crush on a girl same age but that girl didan't loved me and loved another boy.....then i got pissed of and i beat the sh*t of him:D.....thats not the point after that i started masturbation thinking at that girl or another girl........the point is that after a painful crush the heart is barcked and we must do something and if the girl rejects us then the masturbating remains......................................................................................
MY LUCK WAS THAT THE GIRL DIDAN'T REJECTED ME(BUT IT WAS FOR SOME MONTHS)AND WE BECOME LOVERS AND EVEN TODAY WE ARE LOVERS AND WE MAKED SEX MANNY TIMES AND WE HAVE A NICE RELATIONSHIP................AFTER 2 MONTHS I WILL ASK HER IF SHE WILL MARY ME 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

[My son is 8 years old and today I just experienced that my son has had sexual intercourse with a boy a couple of times, and it also scares me and I don't know what to do. I have never thought that I would have this problem also. I was also wondering if anybody could tell me if that means he is going to be gay or if he is really just experimenting. I talked with him and explained that it isn't right what he is doing, and that he needs to not be doing that kind of thing anymore. Was I wrong for what I said to him?"] My sone is 6 years old. An only child, very well natured and liked with lots of friends both girls and boys. I know that all boys get erections from birth and infact even before birth however I am seeking advice as to what would be considered normal in a boy of 6. We have found that if in the company of a girl of similar age he will often seek to gain privacy with her often in his bedroom however it could be anywhere where only him and the girl is present. I have watched this without him being aware and whilst his games are harmless and innocent he often gets and erection. Sometimes he will ask the girl to lay on him (we will be face down) or sit on his back which will result in him getting and erection. We are very concerned that in later life as he necomes more sexually aware that he is unable to easily control his sexual appitite and be forceful with girls or women. To this end we are looking for advice as to whether this is normal and if not what we can do about it.

Up until now we have started to make sure that he is not in this situation at all by monitoring play and where play takes place.

Hi, I have a 9yr old boy who over the years has been very anti sex (mainly just mum and dad, cant do it). He does get erections but has been educated that these are normal.
I agree with some of the comments made on here, it is very important to your children if you can be open and honest at all times. I have had some very mind blowing questions from my son from the age of 5, one of which was "where do you put it?" I could have screamed, he shouldnt want to know these things now. All I could do was ask him where he thinks he puts it, somehow he knew the correct answer to it.
It does help, as I said to be open and honest with all questions that they ask of you, but remember to not go too far. You dont need to give them the ins and outs of how to do it but merely confirm or deny their own conclusions. This way they feel comfortable to approach you about anything.
One thing I have always maintained though that this information is for him only, that it is not his job to tell other children, as in my days at school thats where I learnt most of it and most of the time it is incorrect.
Monitoring play between the 2 sexes is a great start, but when you are giving your child answers to their questions reinforce it with sexual assault education as well, even though we think it is harmless, it is a form of assualt and the parents of those children involved could possible take it further than just experimenting with each other.
I have always told my son that he is not to touch anyone in the privates and no-one is to touch him unless it is a doctor or myself and ONLY if he is experiencing troubles in that area.
As for one of the question about will my child be gay because of this? - Not necessarily, but this is unacceptable behaviour and it should not be allowed. This is where educating your child comes in what is right and wrong for their body and the body of others.
Someone else was also right about how to talk to your child about these tendencies - It is very important that you are able to develop a way to educate them without making them feel Dirty or that it is wrong to have these sensations and feelings, it is just something that they shouldnt be doing right now but later with someone special.

Hope this helps everyone or at least given you something that you can use and adapt to your own methods.
Good Luck, raising children is not an easy feat, and seeing we dont get issued with a user manual we need all the help we can get!

Ok, the original post is a few years old, so the author has probably long since solved the problem already, but for the advice of other parents who might find this thread:

If a kid is that young and he's getting erections, he most likely only knows that it feels good. There is a chance though, that he knows what to do with it with a girl (as in have sex) either by instinct or by some influence. I once knew a 6 year old boy who went through the motions of having sex with a girl, indicating he knew exactly what to do without actually doing it. This boy was exceptionally bright but I'm sure he's not alone.

The point is, don't try to protect him through ignorance. Withholding information about sex or denying him the opportunity to be alone with a girl, or boy for that matter, is only a temporary solution. Your best bet is to talk to him and explain what sex is all about. Do NOT try to impose upon him your own beliefs about what is right and what is wrong about homosexuality; this is something he needs to decide for himself when the time comes, and he WILL do that even if his decision goes against your beliefs.

Sex play between young boys is perfectly normal and most of the time the boys end up being straight; it's just their way of learning how their bodies work.

For you mothers who are aknowledging your young son's erections and letting them know that what they are experiencing is natural and normal so they don't feel ashamed, I must say that I feel you have to be the most wonderful mothers a boy could ever hope to have.
It must be so nice to be raising a son who can tell you that feeling your tummy gives him an erection and then understand that he needs time alone to enjoy his erection. I can imagine how wonderful it is for him to be able to share those feelings with you.

When I was his age we certainly didn't share that much with our mothers and I think he is the luckiest boy in the world.

I had only girls to play with in my neighborhood. I remember when I was 4 or 5, I would get this very uncomfortable feeling inside my pants at times when we were playing. It usually happened when we were getting physical and touching each other. We were quite fond of tickling each other. Holding someone down and tickling them was a lot of fun and it worked much better if you reached inside their clothes to tickle bare skin.

I also got that feeling with one of the girls who liked to show me her new underpants whenever she got them. The sight and feel of her belly above those underpants caused me to get that feeling in my pants, but it wasn't until a couple years later that I/we (me and the girls), found out what it was, and we still never had a name (erection) for it. They used to like to see my penis rise when they touched it and it felt really good to me when they touched it so I let them do it ---- often. One of the girls had an older brother who was circumcised and she liked to push back the skin that was covering mine to make it look just like her brothers. I kind of liked it when she did that too. It just felt really good when her fingers did that. Much better than it felt when I did it myself in the bathtub to clean it, but we knew nothing about masturbation at that time.

So I say your son is really blessed to have you and you him.

I just read those 3 posts in Erections in young boys - is it normal, I'm glad those 2 pregnant moms were willing to share their stories about their young sons' true feelings. Also I read what that teenager shared about his pregnant mom and his cousin back when he was young, including his grammar school teacher. I love that these posts cover this area on why boys get erections, because it is perfectly normal for any boy of any age to feel the way he does, especially if his mom's pregnant. I read that other post, that just came out, on how this sort of thing was left in the dark, I'm glad people can talk about it now.

I've worked for a photography studio for a long time now, which also specializes in maternity photography, I read the 3 posts on those pregnant moms and each of their young sons, also I read that 1 post on what that 15 year old kid said about his pregnant mom. It's so wonderful that these moms and their young sons can have such a relationship, albeit for just a few months, where the moms are baring their bellies and their young sons are enjoying looking at and feeling their moms' bellies during these times of their moms' pregnancies.

My favorite clients are the pregnant moms and their young sons. Although our clients might wear whatever they feel most comfortable wearing, many times the young sons might wear only their bathing suits or their tiny little shorts while their moms might wear only their bikinis or even their panties and bras, that's entirely up to our clients. Occasionally during some of these photoshoots, I have overheard some of the young sons whispering to their moms that wearing their bathing suits and looking at their moms' bellies makes their penises get large, their moms cuddle them, kiss them, and let their young sons know it's completely natural, what they're experiencing is totally unique, and yes, we maintain strict confidentiality of all photos ever taken of all our clients.

I'm 13, almost 14, I remember as a kid, I'd get hard and enjoy it, though I kept private about it and still do. The thing that stands out for me, was wearing a speedo to the pool or the beach, even at 7yo, I got hard. Even my mom, who's not pregnant and got her tubes tightened right after she had me, says it's all perfectly normal. Now I get hard alot because I'm going in puberty, especially in my speedos.