I am suffering from anxiety and I have these panic attacks throughout the whole day. It was okay while they weren't affecting my sleep, but lately they are starting to wake me up and after they wake me up, I cannot fall asleep again. It's been happening every night for a couple of days now and if this continues, I will be in a lot of trouble since I know how dangerous a lack of sleep can be.

I was hoping that someone here might know what would be best for me to do, please help me out here if you have any advice.

Hi Guest,

This is not an uncommon thing at all, you can find a lot of conversations on the internet regarding this matter, you can also pick up a lot of useful advice from around the internet.

What I can tell you is that you should give up on trying to fall asleep immediately after the attack occurs because you won't be able to fall asleep again. You need to get up and completely wake up. Once you've done that, try to calm down for a short period of time and then go back to bed. This is rather how to go along with panic attacks than how to treat them.

The user above me is right, one thing that you definitely shouldn't do is try to fall asleep again immediately upon being awaken by a panic attack. You have almost no chances of falling asleep and even if you happen to fall asleep, you are most likely to be awaken by another panic attack so I think that the advice that EatingBoss gave you is indeed a good and a useful advice.

Walk a bit through the house, get some fresh air, clean your head of negative thoughts and go back to sleep, you should be fine after doing these things.

Hi guys,

Sorry for taking so long to respond but I had a lot of things to do in the meantime and felt so tired that as soon as I would get home, I would end up in bed. This actually helped me a lot because since I was really tired and immediately went to sleep, I did not have any panic attacks so I finally had some good sleep.

My panic attacks are probably going to get back after all these busy days pass so I am going to try and do what you people here suggested and I'll get back to you then.

Exactly the same situation happened to me and I was not so sure what should I do. Those panic attacks were killing me literally Especially two years ago, when I had abnormal panic attacks and I was in such a huge depression. So, of course, fighting with myself during the night was just one of the problems. I couldn't sleep and whenever I think that I am going to fell asleep I start to panic because I am afraid of something. I went to see the physiologist and he really helped me a lot about this issue. Thanks to him, I am pretty much OK now. 

Talking to someone who can help you in this is not something that you should be scared or ashamed of. At all. Those people can help you at the same way they helped me. I had a huge problem with anxiety and depression and I just couldn't sleep and trust me, I wanted to sleep but without any success. Anyway, I went to see someone who is an expert and thanks God because that person was my good friend. He helped me a lot and I started to sleep. Now I have some nightmares, sometimes I am waking up during the night, but not that much as I was waking up before. It is worth of trying.

I remember those days. I was waking up during the night, in sweat and I didn't know what this all was about. I started to look up for some good answers on the internet and I found out that this is because of the panic attacks and constant depression that I was dealing with. I agree that some help is necessary in this case because there are rare examples who were able to deal with it by them selves. I was not one of them, I was against medical help but at the end I went to see the doctor. 

That is the main point! I had a huge fight with my two good friends about this because they keep telling me that depression and problems with sleep are something that it is not that dangerous and that there is a possibility that you deal with it alone. I disagree, because I was trying to fight it alone and I didn't have any success. People generally do believe that it is a shame to call someone to help them, but I don't think so. Drinking some therapy is not also a big deal. It can help you to feel much better and I am sure that you are going to sleep well again.