Hi.  I am a 24 year old female that occasionally wets the bed.  I don't know what to do about it, and when I did mention it to a doctor, he told me that since it isn't more frequent there really isn't much he can do.  I am engaged and it is embarrassing to wake up with a wet bed on occasions.  This is happening maybe 3-6 times a month (6 at the VERY VERY most).  I'm not under too much stress and no more than usual, and I don't drink more when this happens.  It happens maybe 1 time after intercourse but the other times, there is no foreplay, intercourse, or anything else involved.  I never really get into that DEEP REM sleep, but when this happens I am usually up every 30 minutes to pee.  I've told the doctor this and he said there isn't much we can do because his suggestion would be to set an alarm for every 30 min but that since I am already up that much and I don't know when it's going to happen, I can't be put on meds for it.  I looked up to see why medicine couldn't be used for less frequent bed wetting and found nothing, so next time I went to see him I asked and his reasoning was because it would cause me to not have much output during all times of the day.  As to if it were a more frequent ordeal, I would be able to take medicine about 7 or 8 at night and it would just effect me during the nights because I would pee the medicine out during the first two urinations of the day.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.. PLEASE HELP ME.  It is very annoying and embarrassing.

Adults who wet the bed at night often have problems in the daytime as well, such as having to rush to the lavatory (urgency). It is not really known why this occurs. It may be a mixture of reasons. If you have always suffered from bed-wetting, you may:

• lack the necessary muscle and nerve control
  • produce a lot of urine at night

If you have only recently started to wet the bed, it could be caused by:

• urine infection
  • alcohol, coffee or diuretic medicines
  • sleeping tablets
  • diabetes
  • stress and anxiety
  • other conditions

Lack of necessary muscle and nerve control. Your bladder may not have developed the necessary nerve and muscle control, so the bladder muscle contracts and empties the bladder when it is only half full of urine. If you are a teenager, your bladder may soon learn – it is just being a bit slow.    

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Producing a lot of urine at night. You may be producing a lot of urine, because the mechanisms that reduce urine production at night have not developed. Again, if you are a teenager, the problem may resolve itself in time. Urine infection. A urine infection can irritate the bladder, and make it more difficult to hold urine. Alcohol, coffee or diuretic medicines. Diuretics are medications that are used to treat high blood pressure and some heart problems. They encourage the kidney to make more urine. It is best not to take a diuretic at bedtime, because you will need to pass urine in the night and, if your bladder control is poor, this could cause bed-wetting. Alcohol and coffee have a similar effect, so avoid them within 3 hours of bedtime. Sleeping tablets can make you sleep so soundly that you do not wake up when your bladder is full. If you take sleeping tablets, discuss with your doctor whether you really need them, or try reducing the dose. Diabetes is a disease in which the blood sugar is too high. The kidneys try to lower the sugar by making lots of sugary urine, so you pass more urine in the day and during the night (you are also thirsty). If your bladder control is poor, this could cause bed-wetting. The problem goes away when the diabetes is treated. Stress and anxiety can cause bed-wetting. Other conditions, such as expansion of the prostate gland, neurological problems and sleep apnoea can result in bed-wetting. Dr Phil Hammond looks at the frustrations of bed-wetting, with a little help from ‘Henry’, in his informative and entertaining guide on bed-wetting (click on video below).

But I don't have that urgency through out the day and nothing has changed in my life recently. This is something [new] that has just started in the past 2 years

Dear Friend,
Please try homeopathy for the same along with KEGEL exercise / Yoga. miCROMAN.