It gives me so much strength to read the articles on bells palsy and how others have endured this horrible illness. It truly is a faith walk and endurance with patience to remain positive.   I have had palsy for 6 months now.  It came on from stress of being terminated from my job and not able to pay the bills woes; other upsets in my home, and things going on at the church where membership dropped so low (my husband is the pastor) ...  I have to believe it comes from stress related but I also feel it is related to needing dental work too. I had put off getting a root canal done and the gum and tooth is really sensitive on side with bells palsy.

I am getting better after a long 6 months of this stuff; but I still have NO movement up and down of my eyebrow;and I am not able to smile with my teeth showing yet.  I had prayed so hard to wake of Christmas and be healed... 

But the reason I'm writing is about 5 months in with bells palsy I now have  'eye twitches' which closes the eye on bells palsy side whenever I chew or eat.  It also has left the bells palsy side 'higher' that the normal side of my face. It is like the drooped face reversed it self.  At first the bells palsy side was dropped but now it is the opposite side of my face that looks like it is drooping.  If I smile on the 'good side' it looks kinda normal now. 

I really hate my eye closing and twitching like whenever I chew or drink.  And it feels so wierd.

Has anyone else experienced this with bells palsy ... if so what can I do to stop the involuntar eye closing or twitching?   

Enduring Bells Palsy Edna Lea from NC

Hi, I am also recovering from Bell's and I experience the same 'twitching' of the eye that you refer to. I have went through physical therapy and I am now visiting an accupressure expert, to get work done on my face.

I don't know how long this will last, but I do know I'm doing everything possible to 'help it along'. I would recommend visiting a physical therapist to see if they can help with you. I've been recovering for seven months and, thank God, I am to the point I can go diving this year. That worried me more than anything, not being able to control my mouth enough to hold my snorklen in place.

I have see an optomalogist with a background in neurology. He said that if my twitching was bothering me, he would inject it with a small dosage of botox. It does work but is not permenant. It would probably need to be repeated every six months. It's just an option to look into. Best of luck to you....hang in there.

Are you recovered? I have the same symptoms.

Are you recovered? I have the same bell palsy symptoms where you mentioned... I have 'eye twitches' which closes the eye on bells palsy side whenever I chew or eat. It also has left the bells palsy side 'higher' that the normal side of my face. It is like the drooped face reversed it self. At first the bells palsy side was dropped but now it is the opposite side of my face that looks like it is drooping.

Can you me if you're recovered and if you did anything to remedy it?

I am a 29 year recoverer of Bell's. I have had it on both sides (unusual). But the eye twitching stills happens on occassion. I have taht the twitching rears it head when I am deeply stressed. And having made that correlation, I take measures to rid myself of the situations for the sake of my health (some unavoidable , but manageable). And I have better learned how to leverage techniques that give me immediate relaxation while I focus on giving my body what it needs - mentally, physically, emotionally. This has worked for me.

Fortunately (I guess) I had my episodes on each side - each began with eye twitching that progressively got worse until paralysis symptoms set in. Right side episode (29 yrs ago lasted 6mos) worst and that side doesn't smile as broadly shows my tiredness quicker. Left side (26 yrs ago lasting 8 wks) is where the now recurring twitching always happens sometimes accompanied by the "stopped up" ear.

I hope this helps,

Hi! I’ve had Bells for a week and two days. I was put on prednisone the same day I care down with symptoms (which was also 4 days postpartum after twins). It was/is really scary but I’ve seeb improvement already and the eye twitches seem to be a good sign- after having them I’ve had more feeling / ability to move my eye than after. Also strangely, the numb side of my face is feeling bruised yesterday/today (though it doesn’t look it) which I’m hoping means some feeling is coming back. Best of luck everyone on here. Such a strange condition we’ve been afflicted with.

Thank you for sharing. I was diagnosed with Bells a few months ago, it was minor, got better within weeks. Today it occurred on the opposite side and Dr said that was rare, I try to maintain a less stressful environment, but obviously it's not working too well for me. I am happy that you are a 29 year Survivor

I have experienced constant and intense eye twitching on my left lower eye lid for 5 months now. Sometimes it also feels as if my left side of the face is sort of tight or tingling. I am scared that This may be a sign of upcoming bells palsy. Could you tell me if this is the same you experienced with your bell’s palsy onset? How long did the eye twithching last before bells palsy actually hit?
Thanks so much!