I really do not know what to do! My son, 7 years old has been diagnosed with bells palsy. How serious is it? Is bells palsy in children dangerous? Doctor tried to assure me that he should be all right in several weeks and that all we must do is wait, but how can that be. Should not there be some therapy, treatment?

When we talk about the Bell's palsy in children, we must say that condition here will pass on its own in a period of 2 – 3 weeks. Usually, in vast majority of cases, there will be no consequences for a child, but still, sometimes, in a small percentage some residual effects might remain. And in very, very rare cases, paralysis might stay. Yet, if your doctor is certain that your son will be ok, then you can feel the same way freely.

My daughter has had Bells Palsy twice now. The first time she had it she was 3 years old, and she got it around christmas following some type of virus. Then the following year at about the same exact time of year she got it again. I'm concerned b/c not only has she gotten it twice, but it's wierd that it has been at the same time. she does not have it right now, but i get scared this time of year when she gets sick thinking she's going to get it again. Her face looks pretty normal for the most part, but when she gets tired or cries you can tell that her muscle tissue has weakend. I would really like to do some kind of physical therapy to gain strength back in her face, but i don't know what to do.... any suggestions?

I have had Bells Palsy where one side of my face was paralysed. It seems to be related to C7 nerves so you may want to see if there is a nerve compression in that area - C7 spinal nerve.
Mine has cleared - I had to tape up my eye at night and do some face exercises. Its a case of IMAGINING that part of your face moving - that way tiny muscles will actually be working even if nothing appears to be moving. I think it took about 3-4 weeks to get moving again.
I am now researching my nerve problems connected with overload excitary nerves (I got my Bells day after trying an electric toothbrush) avoid mobile phones as they are proved to excite the brains cortex and naturally will excite the nerves (yes that would be good to get moving but in this case it may be too much excitement)
Good Luck and don't worry it's not life threatening or disabling.
The Slug

o.O My grandson has been admitted to hospital today with bells palsey. Have you any advice you can give me on a personal level as i dont know what to do to help. he is only two.

thank you.

Hi, I'm a journalist with a national television news company. We'd like to talk to families whose child has or has had bells palsy.
Please contact:
_[removed]_

r u sure ? coz im twelve and have it

MY SON IS 11 AND HE HAD BELLS PALSEY LAST JULY HE NOW HAS IT AGAIN AND IS SEEING A NEUROLIGIST TOMORROW AND HAS SEEN AND ENT AS WELL AS HIS PCP. WE DONT KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING HIM TO GET IT SINCE HE HASNT BEEN SICK OR AROUND ANYONE WHO IS SICK THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION OUT THERE ABOUT THIS.

My son is 3 years old. He was diagnosed with Bells Palsy Jan 8th 2012 one day after by birthday, He was on steroids etc but nothing has changed yet.... His is a bad case. He cannot blink, or move his mouth. I feel so horrible for him. I was told to try acupuncture but what 3year old will sit still to have needles in their face. Has anyone tried aything that helped?? Im begging. 

Hi there, my daughter is only 6 and I took her to the doctor last nigh because I noticed her face on the one side was not functioning, she cant blink and when she talks her mouth is shifted to the side. Her one eye keeps watering cause its hard to blink. I feel horrible for her, but unfortunately they have not discovered exactly where this is caused by so there guessing its a virus. I think more research on this needs to be done to fix the problem. It just doesn't make sense to me how my daughters face out of no where goes like that. Something needs to be done about it, shes on steroids, but I hear in a couple cases it comes back again, and never goes away completely. That's very upsetting.

My son is 9 and had BP in december and now here it is May and he has it again. All the Dr says needs done is for him to take steroids and wait it out.

My son is one year old and has BP but his eyes blink its just when he's crying you can tell that he has it. It happen over night I was so upset I didnt know what to do I cried and cried but he has seen the doc and the report was good news cuz it could have been worst so I thank the man up above just hold on and have a little faith

Could u let me know how this went . My son is 7 we seen it yesterday wait to see specialest She gave him sum meds . We live in Tennessee . Im jimmie .

My name is Sandra . I had Bell's palsy at the age of 12. It lasted for long time. I was eventually taken to an ENT where I received electric shock treatment to my face to stimulate the nerves. It cleared up lot after much treatment Im now 54 years old . Every now I then I still get that facial twitch or. slurred speech, and a slight crooked smile.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I just thought I would share my story with BP. I was diagnosed at the age of 3 and was told I would most likely only have it the one time. I did not however, I got it again at age 6, at age 9, and once again at age 13 for a total of four battles with it. Mine came on so quick the first time my parents did not know what to do as I was fine one minute and when I turned around the next I had it. I do not however remember this as I was only 3. I also don't remember it from when I was 6 either. I do remember what it felt like coming on though both when I was 9 and 13. At first it felt like little needles were poking me in the face then my face felt funny and started jumping. Soon after that I stopped feeling just about everything on that side of my face and I stopped tasting things too. My eye would not close so I had to wear an eye patch as well. The physical pain however was not as bad as the pain of the other kids laugh at me and calling me names. I am now 18 and understand that having BP is not the worst and I could have been sicker as a kid or I could have had something worse. My cases have lasted from 3-4 months up to almost 9 months when I as 9. I have had it switch sides between cases as well. The best thing I know to do for it is rest and un-stress to relax. Also if your child has it the best thing to do is treat them like normal because just because they look different on the outside doesn't mean they are different on the inside. a