Hey everyone

Just wondering if this problem is familiar to anyone else.

I normally have normal skin, not dry not oily nothing like that, no hassle, no special care needed, no acne.

Well summer came round and my skin is a MESS. I got zits everywhere, great big ones, around my forehead, my jawline, in the crease of my nose you know, and blackheads as well. They hurt and look terrible, p***y.

What can I do? This has never happened to me before. What products do I buy to get rid of them, do I need a facial or something, and why am I suddenly getting acne in summer?

OK, a few thoughts for you. One is to try one of those cleansing brushes for the skin. There's manual ones and they remove an awful lot more dirt, makeup, sebum and all that stuff compared to just washing your face with a cleanser, but the other alternative is to get a Clarisonic brush, which is marvellous at declogging your pores. Then, contrary to popular wisdom, some people actually swear by putting oil on the skin for summer acne rather than trying to go all oil free. Google natural oils and acne and you will be able to read all about this. Then yes, use benzoyl peroxide because that stuff is awesome. Combined these things should help you out a fair bit.

Yes! When the weather is hot and humid, you sweat more, your sebum production goes right up, and there you have it... I'm not even usually acne prone, only when it's really hot do I develop breakouts. I do sweat excessively, more than other people, and therein lies a very large part of the problem. I try to use blotting sheets, use a moisturizer without oil, use benzoyl peroxide... and I know that in a month or so things will be back to normal now.

Mind you, some people, the ones with inflammatory acne, actually find that summer and hot weather dries their breakouts out a bit so they get better. Acne isn't worse in summer for everyone, just for some people.

Yes, I have those irritating buggers too. I do use some stuff to get rid of them. I use honey so much. It definitely helps the acne out.  So you could use honey.  Yogurt works too. Now, I know this sounds weird but milk helps. Sometimes I use Papaya.  Actually  I just read that oranges help. Tea tree oil is awesome for acne. I've tried Aloe Vera too. I heard that if you just rub some lemon juice on the acne that helps. Oatmeal is always helpful. So avocado is great too.  Mint the acne up. Wash your face and rub a potato on, and then wait for a few minutes.

My spots seem to be mostly, actually almost exclusively now in my late 20s, related to the menstrual cycle. I get 'em just before my period pops round and by the time she's gone the spots seem to go away again as well. I haven't noticed that this is worse or better in summer vs winter but do know stress makes my break outs worse and taking very good care of my nutrition, as well as exercising a few times a day, seems to help my skin come in to its own, if you know what I mean. Drink plenty of water, of course. That bit goes without saying. If your normal treatments don't seem to have an effect do check in with your GP though.

Now that you mention it, my skin has been terrible lately, and I am wondering if it is because of the season. BUT I will immediately say, as well, I've been on vacation, eaten fast food pretty much all summer, broke up with a boyfriend, feeling quite depressed about it all, and yes, here come the pimples to make me feel better... nooooot. I'm thinking if I improve my diet, everything else will just take care of itself. But the one thing I have done right is use a sunscreen on my face and it could also be that is clogging up my pores. Something to think about.

Yes! As always... summer's drawing to a close, temperatures have fallen where I live, and like a Swiss clock, my skin is automatically beginning to clear up.

(Insert weird smiley face.) This has been a great mystery to me for years. Though I sweat more during summer like everyone else, not everyone else has summer acne. Of course I do take care of my skin during this time as well! I use blotting sheets, micellar water, use masks frequently, exfoliate... so what's with the summer acne?

I have no idea. If you have the cause, please let me know so I can avoid it for next year. For now I am happy it is going though.

I know that this thread is a little too late for many of us by this time but I hope that it is acceptable to turn this around and ask if anyone tends to experience more acne in the winter? Given colder temperatures, drier air due to heating, and the like, this is often overlooked but it does happen. People also tend to stay less well hydrated in the winter I would guess, purely based on what I do myself. I actually have a few pimples right now and I would like to discuss how to treat acne in colder weather if anyone has any tips.

Of course I do take care of my skin during this time as well! I use blotting sheets, micellar water, use masks frequently, exfoliate... so what's with the summer acne?