I am 17 years old boy and three years ago I got acne on the face, specially on cheeks and forehead. My skin is always oily and wet. I’ve already tried everything from cosmetic products for cleaning face and preventing acne based on salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide... to taking medicine Vibramycin for two months, which is indicated for severe forms of acne. The problem had diminished, but when I stopped taking the drug it worstend again. I heard from a friend about Hibiclens. Has anyone tried it? How does it work?

Hibiclens is antiseptic cleanser and it is indicated for acne as well. Hibiclens contains chlorhexidine gluconate, which destroys germs in the ducts of oil glands. The pimple is result of clucked oil gland duct. The oily skin produces more sebum, then normally and if the bacteria on the skin surface start to spread from inflamed duct, face can become covered over with acne. By destroying bacteria in oil gland ducts, Hibiclens prevents it’s inflammation which is actual cause of acne. It’s not a wonder why the usage of cosmetic products don’t turn out well, because most of them contain comedogenic substances which contribute to the spreading of bacteria. The cause of increased oiliness of the skin in the puberty lies in augmented level of sexual hormones, so it is completely inappropriate to treat it with antibiotic like Vibramycin. As soon as the adult acne treatment stops, skin gets greasy by influence of sexual hormones and acne occur again. So, the real aim is to keep bacteria away from problematic, greasy skin and acne will be gone away. Hibiclens is the right solution for that task.

I use hibiclens as a general body wash. When I first started using it, I seemed to break out more than usual, but after the first month my skin cleared up and has stayed clear. I also don't use it every day any more.