Hi, my son was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I am so worried, I can’t think of anything else. I’m asking my self all the time is this really happening, and have I done something to cause this? Please tell me at least what the symptoms of this condition are, because I could never guess that my son suffers from borderline personality disorder.

Don’t worry so much, because there is a chance nowadays for recovery from borderline PD. It was more difficult before for people who suffered from this condition. There is a new psychosocial treatment called dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and it was helpful for many patients. Symptoms of borderline personality disorder are mood instability, impulsive aggression and drug or alcohol abuse. These things often lead to self-injuries and suicide attempts. It’s not easy to deal with all these symptoms, so people with BPD often lose their self-confidence and start avoiding the others. The symptoms can also be related with feelings to the others. They can range from idealization to devaluation. There are also some tests for borderline personality disorder your son can do, to be shore of this diagnose.

im wondering does this diagnosis qualify a person for social security ?I need it Ive not had work in years