Hi, my son is 20 years old, and he had a bad injury. He tore his bicep tendon off the bone. He had a surgery, where the muscle was reattached, but when we finally thought that everything was fine again, he noticed a gap between the elbow joint and the muscle. What should he do now?

I couldn’t believe when I read your post, I thought I was the only one with this problem! I had exactly the same injury, and a doctor told me that it’s very rare. He had only two similar cases ever. I was in high school when I tore my right bicep, exactly near the elbow. It was a horrible experience. I remember how happy I was after the operation when I thought that it’s all over, and how disappointed I was when I noticed a gap between the muscle and the elbow. My arms were asymmetrical, and all that doctor had to say is that I had atrophy and that it’s normal after this surgery. I hope your son will be luckier than me, and that his gap will go away soon.

This injury is quite common among us baby boomers. I suffered it while wrestling with pool equipment, a story in itself. I believe the tendon becomes a bit shorter because of the reattachment process. Personally, I like the larger gap, because now my right biceps has an impressive peak! :-)

I have a gap between my elbow joint and muscle also...I hate it!!!
I had surgery on my right arm Jan. 10th 2011 and I got hurt on Dec. 26th 2010... I got surgery 15 days after my injury which happened while slipping and falling and catching all my weight with my arm extended. I also had the same surgery on my left arm about 8 years before the right arm... I hurt that arm lifting granite with 7 other guys... 6 let go and I was alone with 1100 lbs. of granite hanging my 1 arm down. The left arm healed with NO gap at all. The surgery on that arm was about 10 days after the injury... So, who knows... I just hate the gap on my right (dominent) arm!!! This sucks!