Recently I started to do trainings to increase muscle mass. My training partner insists that we have to do both regular-grip and palms-in dumbbell curls. I wonder if it is necessary to work the biceps both ways. I don’t know if that is going to lead to biceps hypertrophy or not? Can anyone tell me more about this considering I can’t decide on my own?

Your partner is right to include this exercise--called a hammer curl, but not because it causes biceps hypertrophy. Hammer curls don't target the biceps directly, but rather the brachialis. Those are the muscle that lies between the triceps and biceps. This significant muscle is often overlooked in the arm training. When you do hammer curls, you're loading up on the brachialis and putting the biceps in a slack position. To perform them properly, you should tense biceps with your palms facing upward. Maintaining that tension, rotate your palms so they face one to another. You could feel the tension dissipate from your biceps, transferring to the brachialis in the center of your arm. If you look at someone with great arms, their biceps look large because they have peaks. The best exercises for targeting the brachialis are reverse-grip curls, with either an EZ-curl bar or a barbell. You can do any, whichever is more comfortable, together with hammer curls.