I workout at a local gym, 4x a week  , 1hr each session. Lately my body has become very muscular and my weight seems to be as dense as my body is muscular. Why cant I lose weight currently? I'm trying to increase my workout to 1.5 hrs each session, but I dont have any energy left by the end of my hour gym workout  I do eat more, since I've been working out at the gym. I am careful of what I eat. But I will eat cereal after my workout, or a hotdog, or a boost smoothy with flax seed and nf yogurt and a fruit. I am in my mid 40's, but should age really matter. I have seen really tiny older women at both the pool and the gym, so I cant use my age as my excuse. I still feel really young, even though in my mid 40's. Its just a state of mind, age that is.

Hi Bluerose,

Muscle weighs more than fat.  It's common for you to put on weight working out at a gym.  Your body fat ratio will change though.

It does sound as if you are working out very hard.  Remember, it's OK to take a break occasionally.

Yes, age is a state of mind.

Celebrity

Cereal or fruit after a workout is not a good idea. Both are quality food and both are good for you, especially rolled oats - but not if you workout in the evening. Both cereals and fruits are highest in carbs, and fruits are particularly high in sugars (fructose) - so you don't need that before you go to bed. 

As I said in my previous post - try to focus more on proteins - such as lean meat, and eventually some veggies (a bowl of lettuce, or cucumbers, or tomatoes... or brocolli as side dish etc.)

Also, what kind of workout do you do?

Do you lift weights, or do you focus more on carido workout? If your goal is to be "smaller" you should focus more on easy cardio - like easy jogging ... I am not saying though you should quit weights totally - they are beneficial too, but in terms of looking smaller you should focus more on cardio.  

I totally agree about the age. 

I do circuits , weights with the bars only for thighs and abs, and upper arm strength o and leg curls too. Then I do the stairmaster 15 mins and bike warm up b4 everything else for 20 mins, total about 1 hr gym workout evenings after dinner.I cant workout during day too hot, and Im too sluggish during the early morning too do any thing that requires coordination.

workout doesn't give the weight decrease mantra it depends upon how's is your diet is & what workout did u do in gym that's key thing...

Celebrity

your training is good - there is nothing wrong with your training - it si balanced - both weights and cardio, and I think you get enough cardio workout...have you ever tried HIIT - intervals of sprints (either running, cycling... ) with short breaks of jogging (easy cycling...) - this burns more calories and and shortens a bit time spent in the gym... perhaps you should try combining "hiit" and classical endurance cardio workout.
Regarding time for workout. I can't workout in the morning during the week because of my schedule, so I workout in the evenings too. it is perfectly fine if you workout in the evenings... you do however must understand that after burning calories your body needs energy back - it needs to rebuild muscles - and it does that with rest and of course food. usually best food would be some type of fructose right after training (half to one banana) and about one hour after training one piece of protein (fish, poultry...) However for evening trainings I would skip fructose (due to insulin levels...) and would go directly to protein. As I wrote in the other post - try splitting your dinner - eat half before and half after your training. And most importantly get that protein after training - not carbs.
Have you tested your blood sugar levels? Thyroid function? Hormone levels?