Hi, Susan is my best friend for five years. We are even going to high school together. Anyway, I don’t like the way she’s acting lately. She thinks that people will love her more if she acts and talks like movie stars. I think that is bizarre way of life when you need to be someone else. How can I help her?

This problem is very common nowadays. There are more and more kids and young people with this personality disorder. I agree with you that it is a bizarre way of life, and it should be treated. However, I don’t think the cause of this problem is in the kids themselves, but in the whole system, especially in America. If someone is not satisfied with himself since childhood, and when he thinks that it’s better to imitate someone else than to act naturally, he usually have the same problems when he grows up. It’s bizarre that most of parents don’t react to this problem, as if it doesn’t exist at all. When you look like Marilyn, talk like Marilyn and walk like Marilyn, you are not yourself anymore, but you’re not Marilyn either! You’re just a copy of other person. If you don’t accept yourself as you are, you will never achieve anything in your life. This is a message for all those kids who think they’re not good enough for this world
“ Don’t try to impress other people by imitating film stars, just be yourself as good as you can!”