Hi everyone. My friend is having problems with her dog. She is panicking, she went to see the vet twice today, even though I saw her dog two days ago and immediately told her what was the problem with him. It’s the anal glands. The day I went to see her and calm her down, I saw the dog licking and biting his under tail area. He pulled his bottom down the carpet and the problem was pretty obvious. I know a lot about treating anal glands in dogs but apparently she doesn’t find me reliable. -.- So can you please  tell me what is the best way to take care of your dog’s anal glands so I can show her your answers? Thanks!

Hi, Mia.

I remember you talked about expression of dog’s anal gland on this forum. As I recall, you gave great walkthrough for all of the people who want to do that by themselves.

It really seems that you know what you are talking about, so it’s a bit of mystery why your friend won’t believe you. It would be a good idea to introduce her to our board and show her your previous posts.

And, I’m 99% positive you are right, and her dog is having problems with his anal glands.

But, if she wants vet’s opinion, it’s up to her. Maybe you did everything that is in your power.

Hello. Yes, like Corgi_craze told you, it is pretty obvious that her dog has problems with anal gland. I know that some people are a little bit skeptical, and they trust no one, but themselves or their vets – that is more logical. But, I am really sad because she doesn’t believe you, and I am pretty sure that you do know a lot about this problem. In this case, I am really sorry, but if she doesn’t believe you, you should let her to take care of his problem alone. I think that this is the best option in this case. I do know a lot of ways to take care of it, but I think that you already know a lot of them.

Hey there. You have a lot of experience with this, I am really surprised because she doesn’t want to listen to you.I had this problem as well, like a lot of other pet owners. The best way to treat anal gland is to empty them. If you are doing this for the first time, you should ask your vet to tell you and show you how to do it. Anal glands carry some pretty smelly fluid and they need to be expressed. Many dogs can express them by themselves, every time when they poop. Maybe this will happen to your friend’s dog and everything will be OK. 

Hello Mia’s friend. I don’t know anything about these posts that everyone is mentioning. I completely understand your skepticism since I have fears of my own when it comes to my pet’s health. I believe no one.
I don’t know what Mia told you about anal gland care, but if she told you that they sometimes need to be cleaned, she is right.
Usually when a dog has problems with emptying his anal glands the owners do this procedure at home that includes draining the glands. If you’re anything like me, you will leave that procedure to the vet to do it.

Hello. Ugh, I do know the feeling, because I have dogs as well, and one is one day fine, the other one is sick. So, now, I can say that I have experience with anal gland in dogs. Like everyone told in here, this is very common problem in dogs, and you can stop this and take care of it only when you empty anal gland. It is not hard procedure, it is nothing complicated, but before you do this, you need to learn how to do it. It is not hard, but you need instructions. If you don’t know how to do that, you should ask your vet to do this. 

Hello. I have some tips for your friend, I don’t know if you’ve already told her this before, but here are my two cents:

First of all, you need a higher quality food for a dog that has anal gland problems. The food should contain no cereal fillers (or very few). This will help your dog to have firmer stools and that will lead to natural expression of anal glands.

You should also know that there are some supplements that are made to help dogs with anal gland problems. For example, there is this product called ‘’AnalGlandz’’. Of course, consult with the vet before you start using it.