I have 14 year old daughter with anorexia problem I think. She is so skinny and I wonder if there’s a way I could make her think that she’s not fat. She isolated herself spending most of the time by herself in her room and not allowing me to talk to her. I know she needs urgent help and I’d like to hear what the anorexia treatment is and how anorexia problem treatments are successful? Thanks

I also had the same problem with my daughter. She is now 29 but when she was about your daughter’s age she also had anorexia problem meaning I was having that problem for it affected me basically for I always thought anorexia has something to do with bed relations inside the family and I was actually one of those moms that was really worried about every aspect of my child’s life. so it’s not like that anorexia is only caused by family condition, but of bunch of other factors including the world trend-everybody needs to be tinny and the teenagers are first to be caught in this trap for they want to be pretty and the best in everything. No matter all this, anyone who has anorexia problem needs urgent treatment for if anorexia is not treated than the result is usually fatal and it is death of starvation, but also anorexia may lead to some others serious conditions such as kidney failure. And it doesn’t affect only physical but also mental condition for the teenagers with anorexia problems are usually depressed, anxious and isolated and the psychological treatment is the must in solving anorexia problem. This might take a while but usually results are very good especially when the help in form of family support is provided.

As a 17 year old with anorexia, i know what your daughter is going through, she won't open up because she feels like no one understands, which is usually true because it is very difficult fora person without an eating disorders to fully understand eating disorders. I'd suggest group therapy or a supprt group, they are really helpfull places that would help your daughter open up and talk about things.

Id look more into one on one therapy as opposed to a group setting, at first anyways, until you feel that shes being helped.... group settings tend to become competitive, after all it is an illness that they DESIRE in that they are already feeling threatened by peers appearances, you put them in a circle of girls all Very thin and they want to be as thin as 'that girl'. They need to realize its a problem first so that when they get into the group setting its not about being competitive but, 'you gained a pound, way to go!'. One on one therapy gives them the opportunity to not be (or feel they are being)judged by family and peers while being able to open up. You can be as open and understanding as anyone possibly ever could be mom, but shes scared, of everything right now. Of not fitting in, not being good enough, not measuring up for you... being a burden, etc etc.

Give her a place that takes all of those things away for her and it gives her a good chance of coming around and being receptive to help.

Good luck!!

my best friend has anorexia....i get so mad at her sometimes because she passes up her favorite meals every night at dinner. we all know that they are her favorites but i am the only one who knows that she has a eating disorder. Her parents dont know because they dont pay any attention to her..i know because i just came out and asked her one day. Now you being a mother i dont think it would be such a good idea to just come out and ask her if she is the kind of person to blow up at you or the type that hates when people get in her business without being asked...you could try talking with some of her real close friends..they might know...or take her to the doctor and see if the doctor can get any type of answers out of her!

Why girls always get try to be thin. I think it is all for to get attention. and it is mostly for guys. So maybe a little potion of love make her to stop hurting herself. Although seeing that boys don't like very thin girls can make her slow down.

Anorexia is a disease, a very serious and very deadly disease. If your teenager is not eating, or seeming to eat then using the restroom immediately afterwards it is important that you seek her not just medical attention but also a therapist.

No, anorexia is usually not a call "to make other people happy". It is however an attempt for many teenagers (and women), but not all, to find something they can actually "control" in their lives. There is no honest "recovery" and there is no "cure". Once someone has this disease it is something that often stays with them, haunting them, for the rest of their lives.

Wtf guest???? it just shows how ignorant poeple can be! anorexia or any eating disorder, are NOT about trying to impress anybody or getting attention. People do not WANT an eating disorder, infact i'd give up anything to NOT have one.
So in future guest. Do ur research before u type up sh*t u don't understand.

If they didn't want to impress anyone even there selves than how did they get the eating disorder anyway just because it's fun and they like it. I think not. People with eating disorders only do it so they are skinny and impress other people and get attention. No one wants to do it but they think they have to just to get skinny and most kids with eating disorders must have some kind of self-esteem issue or else their just crazy and do it for no reason. People think it will make them look better and they'll get more attention and boys/girls will like them but really it doesn't they might get skinny but it's just gonna get to the point where they keep on throwing up meal after meal and they'll end up starving and not having enough nutrients and get a worse disease. This is whats happening to people in the world today because parents don't pay attention to their god damn children. They let them do what they want and do nothing and show no care at all. You might get pissed that your parents always check up on you but if they didn't there are worse things that could happen like you start smoking pot and drinking so your parents will notice you coming home sh*t-faced every night and they catch you with pot so you get some attention but it just gets worse and worse. Trust me I've seen it happen to my brother. My mom and dad didn't pay much attention to him and he was being made fun of and torture by kids in school than when he got to highschool he started drinking and they noticed him a little but not enough because he started smoking pot and got arrested 3 times. Now that they pay attention to him he's more happy and isn't so miserable. I'm not gonna let that happen to me either. I have yet to feel like my parents don't pay attention to me. So really Sarah_212, your ignorant. You say you have an eating disorder and you say you really do it for no reason. Why'd you start? You wanted your family you friends to pay attention to you, get skinnier because you don't have much self-esteem, impress boys so they'll go out with you, if not than why? You just got bored and felt like it? There is only one key way to cure an addiction like drugs or eating disorders, hang out with your friends and spend time with family and just have fun instead of trying to get attention or make people like you.

ieatfoodz456

While I can see why you feel that way about eating disorders, that is only about 1/2 the cases. Chalking up women (and men) with eating disorders does not make them "crazy"; many have mental health issues yes, but that does not make them "crazy". Eating disorders are not just about "not eating" either, 90% of American's are overweight because they lack the control to maintain a good healthy weight with proper diet and exercise. We lack the knowledge and ability to accept what is a "healthy" portion of food. We have advertisements, super size meals, and many other things that we are offered daily which contributes further to both over weight and under weight eating disorders.

Many women are also pressured to "lose a few more pounds" by parents, spouses, boyfriends, dancing instructors, and other authority figures whom they take the opinions of very seriously. If you tell a woman they are "fat" every day or every week for an extended period of time, then they will view themselves as such even if they aren't. For others, as I said before, it is created after traumatic events (such as sexual, physical, or mental abuse); and they cling to one of the few things THEY can control in their lives (themselves and their weight). It is almost considered a self defense mechanism. For others, dieting from a larger weight can just get carried away, they see the progress they make and hear the praise and feel "just a few more pounds", "just a few more inches here", and that they will get more of that positive praise from people whom they care about.

Additionally, look at the role models that society has deemed "appropriate" for our younger generations. If someone isn't a size 6, and 125lbs, they are looked down upon by their peers and others around them. Women with extra weight aren't desired by many men (not all are that way), they aren't models, or in movies or on television, even video game created women are manufactured to look "perfect". It is this we raise our children to believe is "ideal" and "desired" and it isn't about seeking the attention, it is what we as a society are ingraining into these children from the day they can read or watch television.

Tell me you don't talk about the woman who is 175lbs after having 2 kids, "look at her arms" "she shouldn't be wearing that", "she should take better care of herself". No one wants to be that woman who is talked about, the girl who is laughed at because she is heavy or undesirable because of how she appears. No young woman who over hears someone saying something negative about someone who is a little heavier wants to be put into that same position. Why? Because we are humans, but at the same time animals, and therefore the basic instinct to "belong" and be "accepted" also is a driving factor.

There are many different reasons for women and men to develop eating disorders, however to say it is for attention only is not entirely correct.

Within my past I have had Anorexia & Bulimia. Its hard to talk about it with people beacuse we are afrid that they wont understand or laugh at us. We do it cuase our self image of what we see is ugly & fat. So we want to fix it By looseing the waight.

I am know 20 & I am male it is rare for men to go throgh Anorexia but they do. I Would suggest Sitting down with your dughter & Finding out whats wrong & why she thinks she is fat.

ieatfoodz456 wrote:

ok Sarah_212 its not because they dont get attention. Doing drugs and having an eating distorder are totally different. Not the same. So why treat them like the same? Drugs harm you. Eating disorders harm you. But drugs can make you addicted. Eating disorder you cant help. Its a condition. What happened to your brother is bad yes but you cant say what happened to your brother is like whats happening to teens and adults from a condition. If he wasnt addicted he wouldnt have gotton arrested. If your parents didnt give him the attention a person needs from its parent then he wouldnt have started. Now, its a CONDITION just like a mental condition. You think  you need to lose all of this weight to be that perfect figure. To look like all the girls. To not be the fat girl. As you do it and lose all this weight. You feel a rush and you mind feels like its not enough and your still that fat girl. We dont look at our bodies the same way. You may feel unconfortable with your body that you feel the only way to be thin is to purge it up or take pills. Once they start it may be hard to stop. At first it may be that persons falt, a tiny bit(not a lot like 1%-5% out of a 100%) but later its the mind thats the bad part.

I'm just saying this but I don't have an eating disorder because I want attention. I developed one because I was and still am being bullied at school. They bullied me because they said they hated my body. So after a while I stopped eating snacks and then meals and then all together just stopped eating. I thought if I were perfect they wouldn't talk about me. I was wrong..

U are an id**t. If only u knew the mental torment and living hell that anorexia creates for its victims. Shut the hell up and grow an empathetic and slightly intellectual bone in ur body. Please!!

I have a 14 year old daughter with anorexia. I am learning that anorexia is a very complex disorder. There are so many different factors that play a part in an eating disorder. My daughter is/was a perfectionist, highly intelligent and had it in her genes. She has told me that social media has been a huge trigger for her personally. However, that is only a portion of contributing factors. If you think your loved one has an eating disorder, don't wait to seek out help. At such a young age the damage that can be caused by not properly nourishing their bodies is not worth the wait. The not eating is only a small part of the anorexia, the biggest and most troubling is the mind. A lot of girls with eating disorders struggle with an alternate "voice" inside their minds. My daughter refers to her voice as "Satan". She also recognizes that he tempts her continually and wants her to think negative, eating disorder thoughts. For me I could not deal with it on my own, I chose to seek professional help & realize that it will always be an issue but there are coping skills and family support that will hopefully keep her healthy. I compare anorexia to that of someone who is addicted to drugs as well as possessed by the devil.