Hey all,

I got PPH done this afternoon. I'm gonna write about it here.

I'm a male in my midforties. My 'roids started when I was in my early twenties, smokin' weed and coughing my lungs up. I could tell you where I was and the names of the peeps with whom I was coughing when this evil began to afflict me. I've lived with them now for too long.

My prolapse was such that I had to manually push myself back together every time I defecated. That gets old, and has been old for about fifteen years.

The worst part, though, was the pain that came with sudden flareups. And also the way the prolapse would protrude when I did active things, like run and hike. The suckas had to go!

Right now, I'm in very little pain. I've eaten some food, drunk some water, and will keep you posted on my recovery. If you have questions, please ask!

Best,
swishcat

Day 1

It's been about 24 hours now.

I'm just a little bit uncomfortable, but not in what I would describe as 'pain.' I'm taking pain meds, because I have 'em, and I figure, why be uncomfortable? They make me a little weird in the head, but I kinda like that, so that's okay.

Urination has been really easy. No probs there. That's supposed to be a big deal, because if you can't make it happen, they'll catheterize you, which I don't imagine is very pleasant.

I've used an icepack to try to keep swelling down. Swelling doesn't seem to be a problem either.

I have not really defecated yet, in a major way. I've had a strong urge to, three times. In each case, all I expelled looked like blood, without any real discomfort. My doc told me to expect this, so it's not alarming. The urge that precedes it is quite strong.

I ate some pretty heavy-duty fibery cereal stuff this morning. So, inevitably, poop will come. Probably sometime tomorrow. I'm also drinking quite a bit of water. 3 liters a day at least, plus other stuff, like tea and Diet Coke. I'm steering clear of my usual strong-as-death coffee for now.

I am taking a few days off work. If I absolutely had to go in, I'd be able to tomorrow, I think. But it's proably best not to stray too far from a bathroom. When the urge to poop comes on, it comes on strong.

I'm sitting in a normal chair right now, with no problems at all.

So far so good, I'd say. I will keep following up on my recovery, because I know how frustrating it is to read stuff like this that ends up incomplete.

I am booked to have that procedure done in Oct. of this year. I am trying to find out how long I need to be off work. What time frame did you take and what do you do? Is it a desk job or one you strain to lift etc? What was the worst part of the surgery and would you do it again if you had to?

swishcat thanks for your updates. I am having the procedure done on Wednesday morning and your post have been very helpful to me. I plan on being off work for at least a week to facilitiate my recovery better.

my surgeon had said that i should plan on a week...I will follow your updates. thanks again

I had operation 3 days ago pain medication work well but if you try to stop using them it will get very unpleasant and painful
Still have some sort of bumps on outside, like little roids I'm going to ask about them my doctor. Still bleeding a little bit after deification.
But I 'd rather be miserable for couple days and forget about freaking hems. Operation it's self was easy you don't feel or remember anything staff made it very comfortable i was never exposed or anything so do it lads and enjoy new live. Good luck.

Did any of you check out or get offered other proceedures befroe you choie the PPh method?

I had PPH surgery 11 days ago. I had three large internal hemorrhoids that were not painful, but were bleeding and popping out every bowel movement. I was recommended to a specialist who works out of a clinic. When I visited there, he told me of several different methods to treat these. Oh, and just for the record, they did do a colonoscopy first just to make sure sure there was nothing else wrong. They did find a polyp but it wasn't a bad one. He recommended the PPH surgery as it would be the least painful and recovery time would be quick (seven days). Plus it would be outpatient surgery.

Anyway, I was told that I would be out of action for about a week if I had PPH surgery. The doctor said he had done this surgery close to 2000 times and had two problems where the staples came out and they had to go back in. One required hospitalization, the other did not. Seemed like pretty good odds, though after reading a lot of testimonials on the web I was a bit nervous.

My appointment was at 8:00 in the morning. We arrived at 7:40. I signed in and was taken back before I even sat down. I changed into the customary gown, they took me to a bed, inserted the IV and I was in the operating room by 7:55. They gave me a shot in the lower back they said would numb me from the waist down. As soon as they gave me the shot, they rolled me over onto a table that had me almost in a 'praying' position. I was bent at the waist with my head resting on my forearms. I was awake. I was talking to the nurses in front of me. There appeared to be a lot of people moving around in the room. Then all of a sudden I heard someone say, "All done." I didn't even know they had started. They rolled me back onto the bed, and wheeled me back to recovery. It was between 8:05 and 8:10. By 9:15 I was getting dressed and then being driven home.

The first day was uneventful. Zero pain, but I felt some pressure in my rectum. They had prescribed vicodin and valium. Fortunately I had gotten generic forms, so it only cost me about $7 for both. My only concern the first day was urinating. They said I wasn't going to be having a bowel movement that first day, but it was important I urinated. They also said it was important that I ate. Urinating was a little slow the first couple days, but everything was working. I took a vicodin and valium and was fine the first day just to deal more with fear. There was no pain.

The second day I expected to have a bowel movement and was nervous about it, but I didn't have one. I had been taking stool softeners and psyllium husk, but again, no bowel movement. There still was no pain. In fact, day two was incredibly pleasant. Almost normal. But they told me to relax so I did not do anything.

Day three I woke up early in the morning and had to use the bathroom. I had about four bowel movements in about two hours. There was some blood in the stools, but nothing else. The tissue wiped clean which surprised me. I wasn't used to that with the internal hemorrhoids always popping out. There was no pain, and I felt good. I had several more bowel movements that day. All fine. No pain. Still was taking one vicodin and one valium each day usually if I was walking around a lot. It was awkward to sit for lengthy periods of time, so I would walk in the back yard. Then things would feel tight, so that is when I would take the vicodin and valium.

From day four on, the only thing that bothered me was that I was getting anxious to do things. But the doctor said seven days, and I wasn't going to mess this up. Bowel movements were the best I'd had in years, and everything felt fine, though again, a little tension in the rectum. No big deal. I felt better than I had in years.

On day seven I went back for my check up. He said I was a little swollen, but that it would take a few weeks for all the swelling to go away. He asked if I had any blockage or constipation. I said 'no'. He then said I could resume all my normal activities with the exception of heavy lifting for another week or so.

Currently, it's been 11 days since the surgery. It was a breeze. No pain, ever. I'm 50. I do recommend that you take psyllium husk regularly (two to three times a day) not only because of the surgery, but because it's great for you. Bowel movements have been fantastic. No bleeding. An occasional patting of blood when I wipe, but it's faint and nothing more. Mostly when I wipe, there's nothing. The tissue is literally completely clean.

My experience was fantastic. I highly recommend you do the surgery if you find someone who specializes in this. No hospital stay, no pain, just success. Doctors wanted to do this surgery on me five years ago and I was too afraid. I had gone to another doctor and he said I was fine. So I preferred to believe that.

The only thing now is whether the internal hemorrhoids will come back. I was told there's a 10% chance of that happening. Other than that, I have zero concerns. A lousy place on one's body to have surgery, but overall, this was a walk in the park.

It's been nearly six weeks since the surgery. Got my final 'okay' from the doctor. Three weeks after the surgery I went on vacation. Flew for four hours, drove for four hours, and absolutely felt like my old self. The pressure I felt after the surgery was simply swelling. By the time I got on the plane, there was no more swelling. There's been zero blood since the last post. No where, nothing. Absolutely enjoying things now. The psyllium husk is great. I buy stuff from a health food store, and not Metamucil. Huge difference in effect.

Anyway, I should have done this five years ago.

Got to agree with you there pipesmoker. It's bloody amazing what we put up with when a thing like HEMS gradually grow over time. If it happened over night you'd be worried like hell and want it dealt with straight away. It does go to show you there is a light at the end of a quite painful tunnel. Now it's down to keeping up the good eating habits so this never happens again!! and no matter what surgery you have the HEMS can come back!!

cheers and good luck

I, myself, also had PPH. Per my surgeon, he also had to fix up my fissure. That might be the cause of the swelling of my anus. It is like Large External Hem. My first week was painful but not as hellish as regular hemorroidectomy. And yes indeed, having a first BM was horrible experience. But next one after another, mineral oil and Milk of Magnesia was the call to my BM answer. Those made my BM pleasant. I am currently in my 9th day and i opted to stay home and do work at home on my bed which is good thing for me. It feels like i can walk a little, not much but a little. Hopefully, my swelling will subside as the time goes by but, im now hopeful for my recovery as i was not until yesterday. lol. Of course, I cannot do it without a help from the med, but my post surgery recovery guide line from the hospital said, no Aspirin containing med for 2 weeks which only leaves Tyrenol(I believe) and that does not kill my pain that good, so im still with Hydrocordon, but I havnt been constipated since i ate almost all fiber food, Mineral Oil and Milk of Magnesia. once I am done with my stock of Hydrocordon, I am going to start w/ Advil which will also help me with swelling. Hot Sitz Bath is also Def necessary. It will definitely sooth you pain. my God.. Whoever invented this is my savior.
It was indeed hellish week for me. Never again, I want to go through this again. Ill definitely be controlling my diet with more fibers.
I just really hope this Swelling to go away....... man... it is just bad.........
And as others say, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is true.

Pipesmoker,
You said you take psyllium husk. I bought some of the stuff at GNC called Colon Pure. It is similar to metamucil, but the GNC brand. I took it once and it gave me horrible gas. I get gas anyway with certain foods, I have tried Fiber Choice chewable tablets and they give me gas too. How do you take you psyllium husk and what kind are you using? Does it give you gas?

Hi. I just had PPH this morning and have had a very very strong urge to poo since waking up. My normal bowel movements happen at the same time every day. Is it safe to poo today? Seems like forcing myself to wait would cause constipation.

I have to say everyone is different!! I am 11 days out, ended out having to be In-Patient Hospitalized for 8 days, and I am still in tons of pain.
I'm in amazement and awe of SWISHCAT!
If I had planned my life around what the Doc told me to expect, I would be doing cartwheels in my backyard right now. Excuse me while I take yet another Dilaudid, cry a little, and wonder, "Why Me?"