Can you tell me what to do for my mother as she is having diffculty urinating the day after the surgery for Hemroids. She had them stapled.

I think your mom should see either a doc who did it or an urologist and see what is going on. There are some risks associated with the PPH procedure.
They are usually have to do with the back side of the body but one never knows and she should be evaluated.
Urinary retention and urinary tract infections are also possible after hemorrhoids removal but there are also other possible side effects.
During the PPH procedure, an internal muscle called sphincter, which opens up during bowel movements and lets waste go out may get damaged. This damage may result in pain and incontinence. This sphincter doesn’t have anything to do with the urinary tract.
Infection and inflammation in the rectal area may also occur if the device used in PPH takes too much tissue and damages it.

I just had this done. What happens to the staples? Removed, dissolve?

What happens to the staples after surgery?

I just had this done a day ago and I'm sometimes having difficulty releasing urine too. It takes some time to release it. But once it gets moving, it's fine.

According to my doctor, the staples will pass during bowel movement in time (a few months to a couple of years).

I had this procedure done a couple of years ago and I had the same problem. It should clear up in a few days as the effects of the surgery and anesthetics wear off. The reaction is not uncommon after such procedures. A nurse warned me about it in advance, so I wasn't surprised when it happened. Caution: My GP gave me Detrol, thinking it would help. Big mistake. It only made things worse. I was on a catheter for 10 days, an unmitigated horror! Best wishes to you. I hope you feel better very soon.

I believe your doctor is misinformed. I was told they never come out. It's not like banding - they are there for ever. Whatever the case, it's unacceptable that patients don't know in advance. How can we give informed consent when we're not informed?

My story: I was due to have this procedure and was given no useful information at all but like you I was under the impression that they would pass out eventually.

Because I was given so little information by the consultant (and the leaflet they gave me only referred to the conventional haemorrhoidectomy op) I called the hospital to find out more. They were useless - nobody knew a thing. I left a message with the consultant's secretary but never got a call back and nobody in the nursing staff seemed to know the details of the procedure!

On the day of the surgery, before they got me gowned up, I asked the doc taking me through the consent form how long before they come out? He seemed genuinely surprised that I didn't know this ring of staples stays there for life in a circle about 1.5 inches diameter (or smaller if it shrinks). Apparently this can sometimes be a problem if you produce large, solid stools.

Well I cancelled right then - not because I think this is a bad operation but because I was not prepared to consent to something I clearly didn't understand and had been misinformed about. I don't know if I want a ring of titanium staples inside my butt for the rest of my life or not but I do know I wasn't prepared to consent without thinking it through - and certainly not under time pressure.

Even though the doc kept saying this was not the time to be asking those questions he was really cool about it. I think he was kinda shocked that I hadn't been better informed. He certainly didn't try to talk me into it.

Well, maybe my doc was wrong, maybe I misunderstood, maybe the staples remain but some tissue comes out later or maybe the staples eventually pass out too... but he was very clear that the ring remains restrictive at around 1.5 inches diameter.

There is very little detailed information available on the web but I now know the staples are tiny titanium things. They shouldn't cause irritation if it's done properly but I also read that anybody engaging in any anal sexual practices should check with their surgeon before proceeding and exercise caution due to the possibility of staples tearing condoms etc.

Hope this isn't too much of a shock for anyone.

If you are in any doubt, go back to the surgeon who carried out the procedure. Call his/her secretary and keep on until you get a satisfactory answer.

I had traditional surgery to remove extreme thrombosed hemorrhoids and peeing was a big issue the first six days after the surgery. After that point it became much easier. Unfortunately this probably wont work for your mother, but what helped me go was to lie down, relax all my muscles as much as possible, and go into a pee bottle. If I ever tried to go standing up or sitting down on the toilet I was never able to.

In reference to the response from "Guest" regarding PPH staples remaining in the body forever, I was told differently. My surgeon told me that there were around 50 very small staples and that they would eventually pass over time.

Yes, depending on the type of staple used, they will dissolve or pass over time. The staples will not stay in your system forever. That would be a foreign object in your body and would cause major complications. If the doctor did not schedule a follow-up visit to remove the staples than rest assured, they will remove themselves. If you are concerned, please by all means, ask your doctor.

ta sadly I was given no info just told how wonderful it was although like yourself could not find any information on it prior to op I was bullied into it and regret it total waste of time worse than ever now and not keen on no doubt a toxic metal up my but forever

Please please please, if you are about to or had had this surgery done. write all you know. I am considering having it done but all I read so far

is sooooooooooooo bague and it seems as everyone contradicts each other.  specially about having sex after.  I dont care about the pain but do want to stop this embarrasing situation I find mineself in.  PPH surgery sounds toooo amazing to be true. 

no website can give you a guestimate on the cost even if you had isurance.  I want to see if I am able to affort it.

there is sooooooo many questions and no answers anywhere.

I had the surgery  done 2 days ago.  Hemmoroids were hereditary for me so I thought it would be best. I find that the pain is the worse when pressure starts to build from having to go. I saved some of that nasty drink they make you take the day brfore to clean you out.  I have been taking an ounce in the morning along with senekot(stool softener) and fiber mix for water. Have been drinking alot of water just to make sure everything stays soft till it can have some time to heal. Their hasn't really been any pain other then when the pressure builds up.  It may sound gross but I have been sitting in hot bath water about 3in and sit with your elbows on your knees and just relax. I find that the hot water helps me start to pee and to check my backside as to make sure im not pushing to hard since there are not many nerves up there and you cant really tell because the soreness( Haven't gone on the toilet yet,sounds gross but just trying to be as gentle to my body as possible), if you rip something you might not know. Going to the bathroom feels kinda weird the first couple times, till you learn how to relax and it will come out with minimal pushing.  My doctor really told me nothing, so I read up and have found that dialating yourself helps with scar tissue and stretching out the sphincter muscle so it dont hurt so bad when the stool turns solid. Rubber gloves, vasoline and start with you pinky finger 4 or 5 times a day for a minute or two to just where you feel the finger tip stretch out the muscle. Continue this until you can insert your index finger with no pain. On my second day im useing my ring finger. It might sound gross but from experience I can tell you it helps with the discomfort for a while right after. Given a script of lortabs but not really needed to many. Doctor also gave me a tube of lidocaine ointment which will help with numbing the outside. Just remember the lack of nerve endings might make you think you are healed when you are not, so take it easy for a few weeks. Limit walking and sitting.

Been a month now, and everything is just fine. the staples stay in you for life. As long as you stay hydrated and dont get constipated everything is fine. 3 weeks of pain to never have to deal with it again was totally worth it!

The staples fall out. The purpose of the staples are to cut off the blod flow to the hemorroids, which in cause, eventually die and fall off with the staples. I've had this done and am finding staples when I clean up down there. Pain is off the chart, but hopeful a worthwhile sacrifice for a future of being hemorroid free.