Hi, I am worried about my daughter. She has acute bronchitis and respiratory infection for a week. Yesterday, she started spitting up bloody mucus from the lungs and throat. A doctor said that she should just continiue with the treatmant. But I’m still woried, and I would like to know a little more about bloody mucus.

Hello, coughing up bloody mucus from the respiratory tract is medicaly called hemoptysis. Acute bronchitis with respiratory infection is just one of the causes. Conditions like blood clot in the lung, lung cancer, tuberculosis and laryngitis can also be reason for spitting blood or bloody mucus. But don’t worrie too much if doctor knows abot this, and if he examened her. When she cures bronchitis, coughing will be gone too, right away, or few weeks after. The blood is not clear but bubbly and mixed with mucus and air. Your daughter shouold rest and drink plenty of fluids. She should also wash her hands often to avoid spreading disease.

That is common with infections in the lungs and if you have borchitus. Just keep doing what your doc says and she will be doing fine.