Recently I have had a blinding pain in my head during a bowel movement. I am not constipated and this actually happens only when I have taken a stool softener. It happens in conjunction with the stomach cramps. The pain is so severe that I have to use an ice pack on my head until the pain goes away. It happened the first time about 2 months ago and then didn't happen again until yesterday. I have a herniated disc inmy neck but I am not baring down at all when this pain happens. Please give me any advise that you have. I don't want to panic if this is not anything serious, but I don't want to be found unconcious on the bathroom floor either.

any idea what it is ?

I have the same thing- nodody knows why?

I am having the same problem. I have talked to nuro, familly doc er docs everyone and no one listens when I tell them my bowel movements and severe head pain are related. They keep telling me migraine I know better this is no migraine.

same with me. It's only when I have a bowel movement, not after. Doctors just tell me that I get migraines and there is no connection. That's c**p (pun!) because I dont get migraines except for this, apparently.

I, too, get this. It feels like sharp explosions in my head when I go, and I'm actually relaxing the muscles in my stomach, not pushing. I do get occasional migraines, and the pain is completely different. I've noticed this only happens when I have diarrhea and bad cramping. My doctor blew me off about it, but tonight it was so bad I literally thought I might die. I was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and my GI doc is looking into possible colitis or crohn's disease. If anyone has figured this out, please update. I'm terrified, that was the worst pain I've felt in my life, and I've had a spinal headache after a botched spinal tap (unrelated, over a decade ago.)

You need to do a bowel cleanse! The BEST one out there is Dr. Schulze - go to ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed!!

Do his 5-day bowel cleanse....then the Herbalmucil Plus daily. You will thank me.

I have had similar problem. I was once hospitalized for 4 or 5 days the pain was so severe. My blood pressure was extremely high also. I am on propanalol because of it and it seems to work .

I have been told this is due to my disc herniation at l5/s1 and that the bowel passes by this point very closely. I first had it right after an acdf at c5/c6

i wish I had some helpful information for all of you and myself as well.
I finally see that others are experiencing similar horrible pain and have not died during the episodes. My pain occurs immediately after stooling pain radiates from spine all the way up to the back of my head. It's sooo very frightening I think I am having a stroke! Yesterday I actually had an "episode" when I was nervous and was speaking in public. I seem to remember this happening before. I will be sharing this new episode with my PCP.