have a sudden headache when having bowel movement and the bowel movement is soft.

Same thing happened to me after post surgery X one week, I had extremely painful headaches which would start during each bowel movement.

Sorry I don't have an answer to this topic. I too have been suffering from this problem for the past month.

I KNOW MY WATER IN-TAKE HAS BEEN LESSENED. This I intend to get back on rack, that is drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. If I get improvement I will write about it. I am to see my MD. 10 days.

I don't have an answer either, but I suffer from this as well. I feel it coming on and is usually during a bowel movement, which is normally set off by rolling of my stomach, loose bowels, then the pounding of my head. It's to the point where it scares me. I fear there's either going to be a stroke/blood clot passed, etc......Not sure of the water intake even though that's always a good thing because I eat 2 packets of oatmeal everyday in order to keep things moving. I have had this episode as recent as yesterday and today I'm still experiencing a "sore/slight" headache. Definitely wish I could get some answers to this mystery as I have suffered with them on/off for the past 13 years. My sister has also experienced these, but not as often as I have. Please pass along any information if you have any suggestions/diagnosises. THANKS!!

Me too. Bowel movements (loose) can also cause me to feel ill in general and fatigued, sometimes for a few days. I have being visiting a GI doc for almost year about this and have been scoped from one end to the other and have had an abdominal MRI, and other tests. The only thing of signifance found so far is that I am malabsorbing fat. This is usually related to problems with the pancreas, but the MRI looked good. I've been experiencing this problem for at least 15 years and it is usually eposodic with peroids where it happens frequently followed by periods of less activity.

I have been having the same exact problem. Started Sunday night, happened again on Tues and Wed. I got very scared considering we have Fam HX of Aneurisims(sp) Went to the ER and had a CT HEAD and it was norm. They then wanted to do a Spinal Tap to see if there was bleeding in my brain but i wouldnt let them. If it happens again, i will def. be seeing a neurologist.
This is by far the weirdest thing!!!! Going to the ER and trying to explain this one was making me look like a loonatic!!!

same thing has been happening to me, no help from docs. My mom actually had an interesting idea. She suggested it could be a sudden drop in fluids or electrolytes after a loose BM. I have no idea, but it sounds plausible. My headache was scary bad. Head stays sore for a day or so too. Makes me nervous about having BM's, coughing or sneezing :-(

I have been experiencing this for a few years now. Whenever I have a BM, I feel the head pain coming..........the sharp pain shoots up the back of my head, and then ends in my head with a throbbing headache. Yeaterday, it was the most excruciating pain ever; I held my head and called out in agony. However, it subsides within minutes, and then it's gone the rest of the day. It alarms me quite a bit. My husband told me last night that he's heard many stories of people dying on the toilet from aneurisms. This makes me not want to go to the bathroom anymore! I am a 40 year old otherwise healthy woman. Normal weight; no other health problems. This happens with most BM's, but not all. I am really worried, confused, and scared. If anyone gets any answers to this, please post them.

Very interesting. I too have same problem and have had for many years. Been tested and scoped from one end to another, including neurologists, gastro and primary docs......nothing. Makes me feel like a fool to go to the doctor and know something isn't right but they never find anything wrong. At least it's good to hear I'm not alone. Seems to be getting worse too as it used to happen once in a while but lately every day - BM, headache (which doesn't go away) and sometimes terrible abdominal pain. Frustrating

This recently started happening to me too..no answers yet either. I am also terrified of having a bm and even leaving my house!!

Got my brain MRI cleared..will start doing more testing this week I assume.

I get relief when I am on the toilet and I slightly hunch over the bring my head forward until my chin is pushing into my chance. Once I have passed the BM I slowly return to an upright position. This seems to make the headache less severe and last less(maybe 10-15 min versus 1-2 hrs) But I have also vomited with it the last 3 times??

Anyone know anything???? I guess if some of you have experienced this for years, we won't die from it?
It is still very terrifying!!!!!!! Prayers for you all!!!!!

Hey all,

I'm getting this too. I'm curious to know if there is any similarities between stories?

I've had Crohn's disease for years, but it's been very dormant. I don't think it's related to this.

I had surgery to get me gall bladder out a couple of months ago.

I sometimes feel dehydrated, but not overly so.

No real change in diet. I live up in Alberta Canada, and it's dry & winter.

I have had the same thing for years but they stopped and all of the sudden it happened but this time with more pain than I had ever felt before, I seriously thought I was going to have to call a ambulance but it slowly went away, the pain eased up but I needed to hold very still for awhile, talking even hurt. Today my head is very sore and I can still feel it when I'm moving around, it came with horrible stomache cramps and a very explosive BM. I've been hospitalized with small bowel blockages and the abdomianl pain and BM movement was the same but never a headache so horrific as this. Has anyone found anything that might help?

What the hell is this problem I have it too. I'm 48 yr old female and never ever had a massive pounding headache when passing my bowels ever. I don't get it now yes, I have been under a great deal of STRESS for a while now. But, my stool was soft NO STRAINING. Hell I'm confused too. I was fine before going to the bathroom I check my pressure DIYAMN it was 165 over 113 and was normal before going to the bathroom hell yeah I'm confused. Pain lasted for about 10mins. Then started to calm down re-check my pressure now it's down to 130 over 98 norm for me 111-127 over 74-85. That sh*t is not having pain like that when you're not doing anything to make it happen.

Just had the same thing. A THROBBING headache right at the top of my head. I am a little constipated, but everything came out somewhat well. This has happened maybe 2 months ago for a few days period. WTH, this is really bad when it happens. I need to go lay down, while wincing in pain with these throbbing headaches. I get all sweaty and nausiated. I told my Mom about this, and she kind of laughed thinking it was just a hard bowell movement.

Let me tell you this, This is not a funny thing in any way, shape, or form when it happens to you. I also thought about having an anurism on the toilet. It is that bad.

I had to literally run to the bathroom suddenly with explosive diarrhea. Immediately, it felt like I was slammed in the head with a brick. I work in a hospital and after awhile of trying to get back in my office, I felt no better. So my blood pressure was taken and was 218/111 at which time I was taken to the ER. 3 days in the hospital, cat scan of head, mri of brain, kidney artery scan, follow up cat scan and neurology appt., follow up primary care appt, and two more appts. to go I don't have an answer. No history of personal hbp but family history. I was not put on meds since it was normal during my 3 day stay in hospital. Next I see kidney and vascular specialist. I have searched the internet, combed through every word in my reports and began some lifestyle adjustments but have no idea why yet. Just rather large mounting medical bills. This was a one time occurence, however several days later I had a similar but much lesser experience. Neither the headache or diarrhea remained for long. But I too fear the next time. Any help?