ttc. negative hpt. menses heavy with clots this is not normal for me. could this be an early miscarriage?

Honestly, I reckon that the pregnancy test would have showed positive if you had a miscarriage since the presence of hCG hormones may still be present in the urine. Hcg hormones are hormones produced by placenta after the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterus lining and is used for pregnancy detection.

If you period was late for any reason, you could be experiencing a heavy period and blot clots are connected to heavy periods most of the time. When there are blot clots, it means that the flow’s too fast and heavy and there is not enough time for the anti-coagulators to do their job, so the blood just coagulates and we see it as clots on out pads.

Although it is true that these could also be miscarriage symptoms, the bleeding is usually bright red. You won’t know for sure until/unless you see a gynecologist!

You could have had a 'chemical pregnancy' when the egg is fertilized but for some reason it doesn't progress very far. These are very common, about 25% of pregnancies end in the very early days, right around the time the period is due. It could also be just a heavy period, just keep trying and I am sure you will get a BFP soon. Good luck