I am 34 years old and have normal periods that last for about 7-10 days. I shpuld start in about 5 days but today noticed a brown discharge when I went to the bathroom but it is only when I wipe. What does this mean? My pants are too tight and I haven't been feeling to good. I took a home pregnancy test and it said negative. I am worried. What does this brown discharge mean?

It could indicate implantation bleeding when the fertilized egg is being attached to the uterus lining. This procedure may involve mild spotting and even cramping that may or may not be present. Considering it happened just a few days before your period, it could be implantation as it happens anywhere from 6-12 days post ovulation and ovulation happens +-15 days before your next period.

To be honest, I think you did a test too soon. Placenta does start producing hcg hormones as soon as the egg attaches to the endometrium (uterus lining) but correct results are available at the time your period is about to arrive, or a day later.
HCG hormones are hormone that pregnancy tests use to detect pregnancy because these hormones are produced only when a woman gets pregnant by placenta.

The bleeding you experienced could also indicate the beginning of your period, so I reckon you should wait for another few days and if you are late, then get tested.

I hope everything turns out just fine.