hey my name is sue im 25 yrs old...I recently had a natural miscarriage may 17th, :'( i was 5 weeks pregnant. went to the ER they ran bloodwork my hcg levels where at 12, the ultrasound found nothing in my uterus so i didnt need a d&c...the er doctor told me to come back on may 19th to see if my hcg levels go up or down which they went down to 3, today is june 23rd and now its been 5 weeks since my last miscarriage and i have not seen one sign of my period... my breast feel sore, i had mild cramping 2 days ago but it went away and i look and feel real bloated. i really dont know whats going on. i took a pregnancy test this morning and it came out negative. me and my husband have been trying to concieve again, so we started having sex a week after my miscarriage till now...also my miscarriage only lasted for 4 days... i really just needed some advice im just so anxious...i dont know if i could possibly be pregnant again maybe i took the test to early?...

Hi Sue! First of all my condolences for your loss! I know this was a hard time!

Due to you miscarrying your periods could be wonky - as you shed the lining! BUT if you were having unprotected sex in those 5 weeks, there is a chance of you being pregnant now - and it is too early to tell! I usually tell women to wait a good 21 days after possible conception date - to have a good reading! 

This is the big question for women whom have miscarried, IF your HCG levels aren't down to Zero, your body still thinks you are pregnant! The ONLY way it knows you aren't is if the HCG is <5mIU/ml. So with your rate coming down slowly, your body will need to readjust before letting things run smoothly again! Eg. Hormones being regulated, menses starting, ovulation starting etc. So your body might still have symptoms of pregnancy - as this is your brains job to regulate!

The other side of this is the fact that your HCG levels weren't Zero! So IF you had produced an egg and your husbands sperm got through, your body wouldn't look at the conceived egg as an intruder - as the HCG levels are already there! Does that make sense? So basically it's like this you are in the army, your side is wearing green and the only way you know the enemy is that they will be wearing black! So later on the enemy changes into green - and you allow him in because he is now green not black! BUT if he was wearing black you all would have attacked him! Does that make sense? And can you tell I have 3 men in the house? LOL So the reason why doctors tell you to wait - is for them to know what your last period date was - to estimate when your baby is due etc.

So basically the answer is "I DON'T know!" LOL It is really up in the air! For now - until either your period comes on or you have a positive test - take your prenatal vitamins (these can help with conceiving as well as development), and IF you are pregnant, helps with baby's spinal health etc. Also use pillows under your buttocks - to help nature out! No use stopping right now, just take as much opportunity as possible!

Please let me know what happens? and I wish you both GOOD LUCK AND HEALTH!

thank u so much and sorry for responding so late...well its now been 8 weeks after miscarriage and still no period..last night i had some dull back ache and my abodmen was hurting on the left side...today i had a little more cramping and my breast feel tender, but something weird happen this afternoon, i had a little brownish/pinkish discharge when i wiped but i have not seen anymore of it...im kinda nervous dont know what to think..i took a pregnancy test right away today but negative...i havent had any more brownish pinkish discharge come out...i just still have dull back pain tho...i have been trying to concieve so i have been very sexually active with my husband...just still kinda confused can this be my period that is on its way or something else

What was your outcome?

I loved your reply!!

Hi my name is rere I just had a miscarriage 5weeks ago.my period is almost two weeks late I recently just went to the doctor and got a positive result on my pregnancy test twice but my hcg level went from 425 to 475 but just two days ago I started bleeding for about 3 fays could I be pregnant again or its just my imagination

Did u ever become pregnant