I miscarried two weeks ago but I am still very troubled. During the first week of the diagnosed miscarriage, I had two hcg tests and each test showed a slight increase in hcg, but not enought hcg to support a healthy pregnancy. I had heavy spotting and cramps the first day and heavy spotting for a week. 6 days after the miscarriage, I passed a few walnut sized clots that did not appear to be tissue. I called my ob/gyn, I was told that this was normal and bleeding should soon subside. It is now a week and a few days later and I am still bleeding. I took a home pregnancy test today to see if it would register as positive and it did. I am going to the ob/gyn tomorrow for yet another hcg test. I fear that the levels will be increased and I will have to have a d&c which terrifies me. Do my symptoms seem normal for a miscarriage? Is there some medication out there that can help me release tissue (if needed) without having a d&c? I just want the bleeding to stop and I want this over with.

Hi, I am really sorry you have suffered a miscarriage. You should know that your organism went through some changes while you were pregnant and you can’t expect it to get back to its normal state just over the night. The levels in your body are still changed and it will take time until everything settles down. The level of hcg is still increased and it will get lower and lower until it finally reaches the level when your body is a normal condition. Here I can help you with a chart of hcg normals:

Days from last menses
34.8 +/- 2.2
40.3 +/- 3.4
46.9 +/- 6.0
Beta - hCG mIU/mL
914 +/- 106
3783 +/- 683
13,178 +/- 2898
Vaginal ultrasound findings
fetal sac seen
fetal pole seen
fetal heart activity seen

As you have done the pregnancy test once again after you have had a miscarriage, you should know that it could just be due to the increased level of hormones that could be found in the urine when you are pregnant. So as hcg has still not got to normal, that could be the answer. However, you can always have the ultrasound and check if everything is fine in there.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hang in there!!

Make sure that you get an ultrasound before having a D & C. It can take a few weeks for the HCG to get out of your system after pregnancy.

Good luck

I also just had a miscarriage 1 week ago and my dr. gave me a prescription for what you call Methergine it helps get all the internal blood released from your body and I didn't have a D&C It's been 6 days and I've already stopped bleeding I stopped on the 4th day talk to your Dr. and see what they say about taking this you should also know that with this medication it causes severe cramping but I had pain medication with mine which helped with the cramps hope this was helpful.

Ok, so on Sunday I found out I was pregnant. I went to the hospital on Thurs about some cramping in my side. They did a hcg test and said I was at a 34, meaning I'd only been preg for about a week, maybe less. But I hadn't sone the "do" for over a month, so this was impossible. So the doc says that maybe I miscarried and the levels are on the way down. But this seems improbable because he said that the levels have to be at least 50 for a home preg test to work like it did on Sunday. Plus, other than that one day, I have had no cramping, and I never did bleed or pass tissue. Does this sound like a miscarrage to you? Please email me at my username at yahoo. Thanks