Hi. I'm 24 year old female and I have some questions about styes and boils. About a month ago, some big bump appeared on my right upper eyelid. My mother told me that this is called styes and that I shouldn’t worry about it because it isn’t anything serious.
So, I contacted my doctor which prescribed me some erythromycin eye ointment which I should use for two weeks.
So, I did, but it didn’t help me at all- my bump just become bigger and itchy. One friend told me that this could be also one another condition called boil, and that’s why my ointment didn’t help me.
I don’t know anything about this so, if anyone has more information about this- feel free to write about it.

Well, I don’t know a lot about this but I know that much to say that your friend was definitely wrong.
A friend told me that boils are can erupt around an inflamed hair and they could be filled with pus and that synonym for it is a boil.
A stye is an infection in the root of an eyelash. It is quite simple bacterial infection, in most cases caused by Staphylococcus.
You are doing the right thing with your erythromycin ointment, but there are types of styes which are located deeper in the tissue and they need extra time to heal.
Hot compresses may help to ease soreness and clear the pus. Keep on with your antibiotic therapy and remember- always wash your hands after touching the affected eyelid.