I am 34 year old female.
For the last three days I’ve had a swollen eye. The eyeball itself isn’t red or inflamed but the eyelid is swollen. It looks a bit strange because it seams like I'm always sleepy.
I thought it would pass by it self but it didn’t – symptoms are just getting worse day y day.
I contacted my general practitioner and he prescribed me some antibiotic crème called Chloramphenicol.
I used it but it didn’t relieve my symptoms. My upper eyelid is constantly swollen and was wondering what could be the cause?
Any advices on this subject?

Well you probably understand that your doctor thought it was some bacterial infection because Chloramphenicol is one of the best antibiotic based drugs for eye infections.
If your drug didn’t help than you must consider that you maybe suffer from some viral infection like conjunctivitis for example.
Several different viruses can cause conjunctivitis.
Some, such as enteroviruses and adenoviruses, can spread rapidly and cause conjunctivitis while others primarily cause skin infections (molluscum contagiosum, herpes infection), and the eye can be infected if the eyelids are involved.
As you probably know-there is no specific treatment for viral conjunctivitis, and the condition gets better on its own.
Antibiotic eye drops prevent secondary infection from bacteria.
So, your doctor did a right thing. You should be a little more patient because your symptoms will probably disappear in a week.

Hi there I am writing to you in order to share my friend's experience with swollen eyelid. He was very concerned about this issue and he decided to see a doctor as I said to him. When he came into ambulance doctor asked him does he see goo, and when answer was yes, doctor told him to start using some creme three times a day for one week. actually his issue was some infection and it was good that he saw a doctor on time and I truly believe that it is your case but I am not expert and doctors know the best

this use to happen to me a lot when I wore my contacts often or when i swam a lot, eventually though the skin under my eyelid would peel off. It looked really gross and was extremely uncomfortable but then after the thing came out i felt so much better. I showed my boyfriend once and he said he'd never seen anything like it before. You should lift up your eyelid and see if you have a bump of skin or something that looks like a slimy layer of skin and try to pull it out.

My eyelid just started swelling up today. I am guessing that the cause is when my friend accidentally dropped a small piece of plastic into my eye (from my dog's chewtoy). I rinsed it out, the next day or two it was slightly painful, nothing unbearable. This morning it was swollen on the side the plastic had been dropped into. Should I go to a doctor to get something to treat it immediately, or should I try visine for a day or two first?

It could be a Sty (stye)
It could be an ingrown eyelash
It could be bacteria that has caused the pore to clog up and oil build up within
It could be a Chalazion.

Google Sty or Chalazion for more info.

If you use oily eye makeup remover, it's probably a closed pore with oil building up and can not get out. Be sure next time after you use the make up remover to use a soap and warm water so it doesnt clog another pore.

The BEST way to know for sure what it is, would be to see an OPTHAMOLOGIST (they are the ONLY ones that can do surgery, except for a plastic surgeon....do NOT waste time or money going to an optometrist or a regular doctor.

Tobrex can be applied and may help. But in many cases surgery is necessary, although you could have it re-occur so you really need to be careful about washing your eyelids more carefully OR if you sweat alot to wash well as soon as you can. Keep dirty fingers off your eye lids. Wash your hands often with anti bacterial soap.

Yesterday I felt my eyes feeling heavy and I thought I was sleepy. So I tried to force myself to sleep early last night, and this morning I woke up with a swollen upper eyelid.

I am in Ecuador and I usually sleep with the fan, but I keep my head under the covers. Should I try Chloramphenicol first to get rid of this?

after researching and reading this post i think i have Chalazion. it's incredibly painful. it started this morning, and now my eye is shut to where i can barely open it. i went to the nurse practitioner at school and she said that it's most likely viral, and that the only treatment is warm compresses for a month.

a month! i can't live like this for a month! seriously - i can barely see out of my 1 eye it is so swollen. is there anything we can do to speed up the viral cycle? like frequent eyewashing?

i can't live like this for a month...

I receive the same problem from time to time and went to the doctor's many times and the thing they gave me was a different cream each time.
After the tenth visit I decided to do my own research and out it was a food Allergy Symptom

I started to right down everything I ate and drank the day before my eleylid swelled up.
And looked up a list of common food allergies
Milk and Eggs is number one
I use to drink alot of milk and once I stopped it went away

Usually if you have food allergies its more than one type of food so do some own research.

I woke up Saturday morning with a swollen eye, It is very red and it kept getting bigger. The redness went all the way to my eyebrow. I took a trip to the Dr today. I had an allergic reaction, to Mucinex Dm. I thought it could have been a stye, but the Dr. said You would have a tny spot on the eyelid. The best bet is to see the Dr. It could be anything. Good Luck!

HI IM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD FEMALE, IM IN 9TH GRAD. tHIS HAPPENED TO MY EYELID BUT NEVER BIG AND SWOLLEN LIKE THIS. iT WAS LITTLE WHICH YOU CAN BARELY SEE IT. iT WAS LIKE AN INCOMING EYELASH WITH A SMALL TINEY BUMP. SO AS OF RIGHT NOW MY EYELID HURT SO BAD AND ITS SWOLLEN. aS THE YOUNG LADY SAID SHE HAD A FOOD ALLERGIC REACTION. i THINK THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED. iM ALLERGIC TO MILK, EGGS, CHEESE, AND WHEAT. MOST LIKELY MILK BECAUSE I LOVE MY CEREAL AND MY MILK. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME SUGGEST THE CURE FOR MY EYELID BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO DO IT. PLEASE!!! SHOULD I GOT TO THE DOCTOR. I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!

Stop drinking milk!

I'm 13 years old, almost 14 in a few weeks, a guy. I woke up yesterday morning at around 9 o clock. I had eye pain in the left upper eyelid the entire day...when I woke up this morning, at around 5 am, my eyelid was almost halfway shut, it hurt quite a bit, and sand was stuck to it. I thought it was just the eyes and making it stuck down, and the pain was just there like normal. But I washed it up, yeah it hurt, and relieved all the sand. But my eye was still painful and it was very swollen. It's exactly how I'm describing as I write this...and I have school tomorrow, I'm not sure if I can go like this. I'm used to being a "pretty boy", and I can't find myself to not be self conscious about it...

Someone please help, I have no idea what this is or what caused it...

Hi, my daughter of 6 has been for the past 2 days with a swollen eye lead.
went ot see the nurse yesterday and she geve an antibiotic cream to apply 3 times a day.
This morning the eye is still swollen if no more an all this is without any particular reason or cause.
Anyone knows what it causing the swelling and what remedy to do.??
Thank you

I am 18 years old and I am female.
I have been staying at my friends house and will be for about a week, my eye started swelling up yesterday and now I can barely see from it.
I don't have insurance yet due to the fact of my past family life and current situation.
If anyone knows some home remedies to help this could they tell me?
Its just sore to the touch, I thought i got some dirt or something in there, maybe dust which I'm allergic to pretty badly