Hello, I am new to this forum. I had hammertoe surgery about 5 months ago on my right foot. The surgery was done on my big toe, and 2nd digit toe. The calluses are now gone, but my big toe is still swollen. I am afraid that something gone badly during surgery, but my surgeon said that swelling can last up to a year, but he also said the swelling could never go away!!! That did scare me! Should I take anti-inflammatory pills, cortisone injection or get an MRI? Please help me.

I was young, only 17 when I had hammertoe surgery. I was wondering whether hammertoe surgery has any affect on human growth. They fused my big toe and transferred tendons in my 2nd and 5th digit toes and they shaved off a bone spur and other bone in the toes. Maybe I am paranoid, but it seems to me that bad surgery has been performed on me. I wish I could help you, but I can only advise you to find another doctor.

Please tell me how you are doing now that several months have passed. I had my surgery 3 months ago and have been miserable since. My toe is much worse than it was before the surgery being elevated over my other toes, shots of burning and pain, and of course swelling and discoloration. I can not finish a shopping trip w/o severe pain like a string is at the base of my toe strangling it. Please tell me it gets better or should I request more work....already had a cortizone shot.

I had surgery almost 8 years ago and my feet look....not good. If it wasnt for embarrassment I would have sued the Dr. for this "botched" surgery. Like you, he told me that the swelling could last years. What kind of sense does this make? Well here I am 8 years later and my feet look worse than they did b4 the surgery.
Though I love warm weather, swimming, nd sun bathing - I have come to dread it b/c that means 'feet out' season and for me - not so pretty.

I had bunion surgery 2 years ago and the Dr. did me a favor & fixed my hammertoes 2nd & 3rd toes. It's 2 years later and I am in pain 24/7. he cut too much bone out of my second toe, so the end of it just hangs thereand sometimes bends backwards when walking. 3rd toe sticks up and don't bend but at least I can move it. my only option left is amputation. I have tried everything. taping my toes, taping popcicle sticks to my toes. you name it I have tried it. I work 12 hr days in steel toes & I have 7 pairs of shoes and it is useless. I tried to sue I contacted a few attorneys one said if I can get a letter from another dr. stating the surgery was bad he'll take my case, one said since it's not a life altering problem (which it is) he wouldn't take it. It does not get better only worse.

I am so sorry for all of you.

It was only well after my surgery and complaints and suffering and struggling to bend my frozen toe that my "doc" informed me it was never going to bend cuz the whole point was to stiffen it up so it would not "buckle". Whhhhhhhhhaatttttttt! Are u f-ing kidding me! All I had was a blister!!!! Why didn't u tell me this before!!! Oh, because NOONE would ever have the surgery and none of u quacks would ever make money???

Over ten years later, in a lot of pain and discomfort tonight, I did my first google search to find others finally. back then no blogs to go to. Only my pillow to sob into every night for years. I had been so active that my boyfriend used to say if we got married i would jog down the aisle. This changed me forever. And like you i taped and made fake toes and got orthotics and wide shoes and basically it is not going to get better. If we use our feet the way we want to all that changes is that other problems develop from compensating. Arch, hip... But it did lead me surprisingly to become religious bc I realized what a gift and miracle it was that other things about me worked so right--seeing as how no doc could put my foot back to the way G-d had given it to me once it was botched by man. I had really never thought so deeply about the way bones and renin lengths mattered! And having a child many years later has thank G-d made life worth living again--so find the thing u find worth it that is not tied to the look or performance of your foot and just try to move on. And don't give up on the lawyer bc some do know how life changing this is.

My doctor only wanted to make money and cut all my hammer toes(9) my little toes, and "Burnions" (4) both feet with 15 days apart.  Now everything is a disaster, she cut too much bone in two areas, my nerves are not the same (constant pain) and I developed arthritis.  I am so depressed and I should have not done anything.  This is the worst surgery one can have.  If it hurts a little it is better than the pain one can experience during the recovery and after the surgery.  Now, I have to take medicine GABAPENTIN for the rest of my life for the pain. IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE, I BEG YOU DO NOT DO IT.  THE DOCTORS ONLY WANT TO MAKE MONEY AND DO NOT CARE IF YOU ARE GONNA SUFFER AFTER.  I made a horrible mistake please donot do make the same mistake

Seriously mmiamor?   Sorry you are in pain but what was the mistake?  If you have hammer toes and bunions and your life is closing in on you because you can't walk anymore what is wrong with fixing it?   I would not have let both feet operated on at or close to the same time.   Now if you have minor aches and can do everything you want to do then sure, why have surgery.  

Hi:
I know, it was not worthy to have the surgery.  It is a way to risky and I am in worst shape.  I am suugesring everybody to be careful & to choose their surgeon very very carefully.  Check for red flags such as a doctor recommending too much surgery too soon.  get the surgery in a hospital, and try other methods before surgery.  Thanks
mmiamor

It will go away if everything was on the hands of a good surgeon. Elevae your feet and get x-rays to check everything was done right. Good luck

Hi. Can someone tell me how the pain symptoms feel for hammer toes? I believe i am in the "earlier" stages of hammertoes, just havent been to my doctor yet to confirm. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows how it feels... :)

I just signed up so i'm reposting again lol. Hi. Can someone tell me how the pain symptoms feel for hammer toes? I believe i am in the "earlier" stages of hammertoes, just havent been to my doctor yet to confirm. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows how it feels... :)

Hello, Had my surgery last monday, only one hamer toe. Everything seems good! I can already walk and i had only a little bid pain monday. Took some paracetamol monday and tuesdaymorning. I think it is better to do the surgery when the problem is only one toe. When there are problems with several toes, it seems more complicated and the risk seems higher. Tomorrow i start working and after 3 weeks the pin is removed. The toe looks already perfect.

be careful do not have hammer toe surgery unless it's life or death. I had it done now i have a space in between my bones on bothe of  my baby toes.  you hear me a space what kind of sense does this make.  don't do it ---- leave hungry doctors alone they do this job in our best interest.   haha ha!

I just wanted to inquire about your toes. Did you get the problem fixed?I'm facing a similar problem where my toe is sticking up in the air and not laying flat on the ground. Thankyou