Has anyone had a similar experience??? I had hammertoe (2nd toe )and bunionectomy surgery Thanksgiving week 06. Had no problems or pain w/the bun. but persistant pain w/the other. After the pin was removed, the toe popped up the next day and has remained elevated above my other toes. I also have trouble walking as the toe feels it has a tight string tied at the base, an intermitant burning and shooting pain. There is still swelling in that toe and the big toe has moved back underneath the toe. I have done all the doc has told me including a cortizone shot on the top of the foot near the toe. Doc. said it will get better when the swelling subsides but it seems to be getting worse. There is line in the skin where the swelling begins at the base of the toe where it hurts the most. Thought this surgery would make my life better not worse!!!

This reply is from Mahsue: I had the same surgery in July 06 and got along extremely well--have not even had to have the cortizone shot BUT like you, I have had the burning and the pain in the hammertoe area. The toe has not curled back up nor has my big toe moved back under the toe. I have what seems to be like a corn or either a bone protruding at the ball of my foot under this toe which makes it extremely difficult and painful to walk in basically any type of shoe. I have periodic swelling in this entire foot and the top part of my foot where the hammertoe was seems to look like a raised strap that is tight and is quite tender to the touch most of the time. When I was released from the podiatrist in 09/06, I was told that it would be 9 months before was foot was back to normal, which is fast approaching and I don't see it getting better. I returned to the dr. in 12/06 due to the continued pain and was fitted with some shoe inserts($59 which my insurance did not cover) but cannot wear because it makes my shoe too tight on my foot. I am going to wait until the 9 months is up and then return if my foot is still in the shape it is in. BTW, I initially went to the dr. because I had been plagued by toenail fungus for 12 plus years and no medication(oral or topical) would correct it. The dr. told me I had "nailbed trauma" caused from the bunion which seemed logical at the time. And, I must say, that the toenail fungus has cleared up which is one success to report from my surgery. I need to have my other foot done but have seen some bunion correction gadgets in some health magazines that I am going to try before I go thru this again. Also, I could not drive for 6 weeks because it was my right foot that was done.

Thank you for your response. I called the Dr. last week after daily severe pain in my 2nd toe. This is a feeling of something being shoved between the big and 2nd toe. He is going to do another surgery as he now believes the pain is due to the big toe moving back over. I will lose another 10days of work which is very frustrating but I have to have this done. The pain gets worse by the day!! :cry: You are very couragious waiting 9 months!!!

Was your DR a Orthopedic Surgeon (M.D.) ? or a Podiatrist. ?
I have had experience with both. (3 DPM's), and (2 M.D's) and I can infactictly state that you NEED to ask yourself, "Do you feet deserve to be treated by a (5) year educated NON-MD Podiatrist who's only concern is "Finding additional business in your feet", or seeing a MEDICAL PHYSICIAN, M.D. that has (9-10 years of MEDICAL training) before they can touch your feet.!

Podiatrists are like Chiroprators.! They Are NOT real Doctors, they are NOT an M.D. Beware.!!!

mahsue wrote:

Singingknowles wrote:

I beg to differ; podiatrists are most definitely board-certified M.D.'s

Copied from Massachusets Podiatric Medical Society

"Podiatry is a field of medicine that strives to improve the overall health and well-being of patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing, and treating conditions associated with the foot and ankle. Doctors of Podiatric Medicine (DPMs) are physicians and surgeons who practice on the lower extremities, primarily on feet and ankles. The preparatory education of most podiatrists includes four years of undergraduate work, followed by four years in an accredited podiatric medical school, followed by a hospital-based residency. Podiatrists are licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico to diagnose and treat the foot and its related or governing structures by medical, surgical, or other means. The majority of practicing podiatrists are men, however, an ever increasing number of new podiatrists are women. The current classes in the podiatric medical schools are comprised of about 50% men and 50% women."

I was wondering how your toes are doing since your surgery over a year ago. You said the toe raised up after the pin was removed. I had same surgery Jan. 07. I also had tendon repair at the same time. Had 3 incisions on foot. I was in a hard non walking cast for 8 weeks. My second toe which has now been fused has raised higher than the other toes and the big toe has started to turn back in again. I'm so scarred that the big toe is going to go under the second toe and bunion is coming back. I also have pain on the bottom ball of the foot when I walk. I was curious about your elevating toe.

podiatrists go through 4 years of undergraduate education followed by 4 years of graduate podiatric medical education at an accredited school of podiatric medicine. after that, they are required to do a 3 year surgical residency followed by optional fellowships in orthopedics, vascular surgery etc. they have unlimited diagnostic scope of the lower extremety including a DEA number for prescribing any narcotics and unlimited surgical procedures of the foot including complex reconstructions of the foot and ankle. before finishing residency they complete more than 1500 foot and ankle surgeries.

compare that to as little as 3 months for orthopedic surgeons, whos own fellowships in foot/ankle are more often than not left vacant, and filled by podiatrists. todays graduating podiatrists are the EXPERTS on foot and ankle surgery.

graduates from the past decade are far better trained than older podiatrists, so look for membership in the american college of foot and ankle surgeons or the american board of podiatric surgery.

Hello All,

Please, please, tell me, there is hope after this horrible ordeal!! I just recently had surgery on my left foot, for a tear in my planter plate, which caused my 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes to curl ( Hammertoe). I had the surgery on 14 July and had stitches removed 2 weeks later on all three toes, but the pins were left in and still had 4 more weeks before removal. I was placed in a hard, non-walking cast and did NOT weight walk at all for the entire time. Well, three (3) days ago, I had the dreaded pins removed...there has NEVER been any pain in my life such as what I experienced with that. The whole entire 6 wks, my pins had NOT budged at all. They pulled them out without using any numbing agents, topical or injections and he pulled them out with sterile looling plier type tool. I thought I was going to pass out in pain. I have had 3 children and have had kidney stones numerous times and NOTHING compares to how that hurt me.

All three of my toes bled after pin removal and the 3rd bled even after I arrived home and until the next morning. That 3rd toe is extremely sore as well. I am wondering if there wasn't some damage done to the toe with the pin removal. Has anyone heard of such a thing happening?? I have the same concerns as you, my 2nd toe goes to the right and it touching the ground, like dipping down but that 3rd toe is upward and the 4th in somewhat normal position. My toes feel hard and numb and deadlike...the incisions on all three, run along the top and all the way down each of the three toes. In fact, my toes are now, plain ugly and look as if they belong in a science lab!

I put on the special shoe and attempted to walk with the help of my crutches and the pain was unbearable!! I could not even put any weight at all onto the front of my foot. I had to adjust all of the weight onto the back of my foot. What am I to do??? I read on here that some are walking at 2/3 days and I feel like such a failure!! I am in the Army and my feet are very important to me and I have to be able to walk and to wear my boots. I am afraid this is going to ruin my career!!! I realize this is only day #3 after pin removal, but my foot looks dead, feels dead and is of no use to me and I am scared of what's to come.

Any advice at all?? A Podiatrist did my surgery and I have no complaints against him, other than he wasn't there when my pins were removed, he was on Leave, and his tech got them out the best way he knew how...by pulling them out and using all of his strength. I am thankful my husband was there with me to help me get through that horrible, haunting experience!

~Kimberly~

My daughter and I both had the surgery within 2 months of each other. We both had very successful surgeries. She had one hammertoe; but I had corn and hammertoe surgery on toe 4 & 5 of the left foot and toes 2,4 & 5 of the right. Stitches were removed 2 wks after surgery. For two weeks after that they all felt limp like. It's now almost a month. I can barely see the scars. Mederma" is the best topical cream on the planet!!!! In addition to that I took Vitamin E gel pills twice a day to help with the healing process. The scars on my daughters toe is practically invisible. Mine are so minimal that all I've bought are flip flops and it's November. I cannot wait for the summer to come. I've hidden my feet for 30 years because of the way my feet looked and it's so liberating to finally wear open toed shoes with my summer dresses. I honestly feel that the surgery was a success because I took a long time to do my homework and select the best orthapaedic surgeon in town. I tried to have the same surgery about 18 years ago and was a complete wast of time and money!!! He was a podiatrist but there was no difference in the appearance. This time was so successful all I want to do is buy nail polish and flip flops to display my toes as often as I can. My advice would be to take your time in selecting a surgeon and when you go in for your consultation, ask as many questions as you can think of and ask for photos of your surgeons work. It's worth it! If you're not satisfied, go elsewhere until you get the satisfaction you wand and deserve.

Hi well this is my story I had broken my little pinky toe in 2 places and dislocated it so I had to have a hammertoe surgery 6 weeks ago.
Had the pin in it for 2 weeks and stitches taken out also. Toe looked like it went through a fire pit was so red and hot. Doc said it will go away. I couldn't walk on my foot the first week hurt so bad I was crying had my hubby get me a walker from where I work. I am a physical therapist assist. I have been out of work 6 wks now and have to have surgery again. Toe still red and 2 weeks ago had
infection in it also was on antiobiotics got a little better then stopped my dose and toe got red again. Doc says mayb bone infection
need to do surgery again so now will be out of work again til Jan 2011 that will be 9 weeks in total was told be back to work in two weeks when I had it done at first SURPRISE didn't happen. Doc said in his 25 yrs practice this has never happened so it must be me
prone to infection. This is my story but please don't stop having this procedure because of my story this is just a fluke I guess and this can happen. Good luck to all who do go for a hammertoe procedure all will be good. ;-)

Hello, I have the same problem and was wondering how it all turned out for you. I had a bunion and hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago and my pins from second and third toes were just removed and my big toe is still under the second toe and the doctor said I need another surgery for the big toe. When I came home I discovered that my second, third and fourth toes don't touch the ground. I also have the pain and feeling that there is a string tied to my second toe. Was the corrective surgery successful for you?

I am so sorry to hear someone in my situation. I had the surgery & the doctor damage my feet, kept telling me that everything was right, but, like you it is getting worst. Now, the my doctor disappeared & do not want to hear from me. I suggest you to get x-rays and if possible and MRI. Foot surgery is too risky and dangerous and with a very experienced doctor one has more chances. Otherwise, is like playing Russian Rulette, and foot doctors need real people to practice and make mistakes.
I am gonna need reconstructive surgery & everyday regret about my decision of getting my toes cut!
Few doctors are very careful, honest & sincere; others just care about $$$$

I recently had hammertoe surgery on all four toes on my left foot.  Of the four toes, two were shortened. I too, have shooting pain in all four toes and am still limping around after 8 weeks. My baby toe is on crooked and the nail bed is slanted to the left.  When I wrap my toes, which I do twice daily in order to apply the scar creme, they look different every time.  Almost scary.  I can't go to town or be on my feet for more than a half an hour with out experiencing pain.  My Dr. tells me I am healing slowly but surely.  I still need to have my right foot done.....no hurry here!  Just wondering if I can have the left foot reconstructed as I believe the Doctor did not do a good job on my toes.  Oh, i also have two toes that do not touch the ground.  This is sooooo depressing!  Anyone know how to find a reputable Podiatrist?

I am so sorry to hear of your experience - I am 75 years old, live in Australia, and had bunion and hammertoe surgery just 8 weeks ago, in hospital, which I feel is most important. Had a plaster sock cast for 2 weeks, then x-ray and new plaster sock cast for 4 more weeks. Then had an orthopaedic shoe which is the most comfortable, however last 2 days have been walking in a size larger shoe with box toe. I have put toe protectors over bunion and each toe, which I feel keeps toes in correct position and seems to make walking comfortable. I do hope that by now you are well on the way to rexcovery. Good luck.

I so wish I had not had this surgery . I developed lymphedema . Surgery was March 3. Still with pain. Physical therapy for 6 weeks ....then weeks of wraps ...now permanent hose that covers full leg and toes which cost 225.00 and will need to be replaced every 4-6 months. Nightmare !