I had surgery on both bunions and a lump on my heel the end of April. I had gone to a two podiatrists for several years because of the heel pain. They said it was plantar fasciitis. I finally decided to have surgery and I went to an Orthopedic surgeon and he said it was scar tissue and that he wouldn't remove it because I would have no fat pad.

He also said he didn't do bunion surgery because no one ever was happy. I told him I certainly didn't want to be worse off and left. My problem then was that I had two different diagnosis and really crummy pain in my heel. The lump was like a large marble that was a bit squishy and you could move around. It was causing pain walking and just pain at night - nerve pain in my foot and my calf so bad that I would just think about cutting off my leg.

I decided to get one more opinion, especially since I knew a lot of people who had bunion surgery and were happy, so I thought the last doctor was perhaps too cautious. I had pain from my bunions and wanted to get them done at the same time. I had a friend who raved about her orthopedic surgeon and said a lot of her friends went to him and loved him. I made an appointment and brought my MRI. He looked at them and quickly said the lump wasn't scar tissue that it was like a cyst and he could easily remove it. I told him what the previous surgeon had said and that I wasn't pushing him to have surgery, I just wanted to check it out. I didn't want to be worse off. I asked him about the fat pad and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I also told him that I got keloids and to inject the incisions with steroids. He told me it would be great. Everyone at the orthopedic center (which is a large one in Houston) raved about my doctor, so I was feeling pretty confident.

Came time for my surgery and I again told the doctor I didn't want to be worse off and to take care of my scars - he again assured me. When I woke up I learned that he also decided to take out a bone spur and release my plantar fascia muscle. I asked him what the substance in my heel was and he cheerfully told me it was scar tissue.

Fast forward to the present, almost three months later. I have scars on the side of my big toes (these aren't too bad), the big toe on my left is turning towards the little toes and the big toe on my right is pulling towards the inside of my foot. I cannot put pressure on my big toe, either standing on my toes or having my toes curled underneath without sharp pain. My toes look like vienna sausages and they wobble like bobble heads.

My heel though is the real problem. I have a scar across my heel from the middle to a bit up the inside of my foot. It has not healed very well - it is about 1/4 wide and underneath it feels like a rope because it's very fibrous and hard. It's like walking on a sharp rock. Also it seems like my fat pad is very thin as any pressure on my heel feels like I have smashed it on concrete. I can't go barefoot without lots of pain.

I've been going to rehab three times a week. I found a podiatrist near me that seems very knowledgeable. Wish I had found him before my surgery. He said that the surgeon cut my big toes in the worst possible place as it's hard to heal in that area. He also told me that my feet could not plant on the ground properly because of the surgery. He said that the scar on my toe was pulling the over corrected bunion further towards the middle and that I wouldn't be able to wear women's shoes if we can't get it to come back. He said the scar on my heel was bad and that it should have been made on the side of my foot. He said that I have a nerve pinched in my heel. He gave me one shot of cortisone and said after my feet have recovered that we may be able to correct some things surgically. I got some new orthotics as well.

I'm very concerned about my heel and being able to walk without pain. I also don't know what to expect about my bunions. Should I be having such sharp pain when my toes bend? The surgeon had put a pin in the toe bone and then something that looks like a staple in my toe on the xray. Could that be causing it? Thanks for any input. I'm kind of trying not to freak out too much.

I would get a second opinion I have problems with my foot, it is swollen which makes it difficult to find shoes. If you have been under a lot of stress that may cause the bruise it has happen to me.I'm not sure what an arthroscopic entials but I would assume you would be inactive for a while.......

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

What are the problems that you have with your foot? It looks like the original poster did get a second opinion but I don't know if that was helpful or anything. Can you enlighten me?

Hello, I have also a bunion on my heel for a couple years now.
I was looking on the web and found a Dr. That specializes in ankle and foot pain. He's located in Texas and also a location in LasVegas, NV, Dr. Barrett. My question is if you could start all over, would you have done anything different? Like having surgery. It's quite painful but I can live with it. Hoping your heel
Improves with time. I noticed, your post is quite old but I'm
Hoping you can enlighten me. Thank you.
Lorraine.
 ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Alweays go conservative first. I Used to see Dr. Barrett, good doctor. Orthotics can really help but they need to be fitted correctly, and make sure you wear supportve shoes that are not too narrow or rub you. Function over fashion! No magic bullets!