Probably I will have to undergo hammertoe surgery. I would like to have some additional info. Is anyone familiar with the success rate of hammertoe surgery? Will hammertoe surgery be done under local or general anesthesia?

Hello!
Hammertoe surgery is one of the most commonly performed types of foot surgery. I am not familiar with percentages, but hammertoe surgery has a high rate of success and low degree of danger. It is true that recovery process might be uneasy, since you are to avoid vigorous activity after operation, among which is also routine daily activity. Otherwise, you are recommended to walk at easy pace after first post op week. Of course you should also avoid tight shoes in future and maybe you shall be even prescribed with orthopedic shoe.
If you need any kind of additional info, do not hesitate to ask.

I'm due to have surgery on all 5 toes for rigid hammertoes. This was attibuted from a car accident when I was young and the Dr. putting on the cast too tight. I've lived with this problem for 35 years now. The podiatrist said he could straighten out my toes by putting pins in them and also get rid of some arthritis that has set in. My question is has anybody had all toes straightened and how long is the recovery? I don't want to make matters worse as I am not in much pain as of now.

My mom had hammertoe surgery last year. However, her was minor and done only on her 5th toe of the right foot. It was very painful for her and it did look weird.

Her biggest concern was pain but I can understand the cosmetical annoyance especially if all five fingers are “deformed”.

I can’t help you with all-five-procedure but it is said that the procedure is safe with minimal side effects but I guess the more fingers involved, the more possibilities of complications.

My mom didn’t have any pins placed, a part of the bone was cut while she was on a local anesthetic and it was over rather quick. The whole procedure lasted for about 15 minutes. Yours would probably last 5x15mins.

If everything went well, you should be back to feet, walk normally in 3-4 weeks time.

I reckon you should talk to your surgeon (podiatrist) about the possible complications. Ask him/her what could go wrong hypothetically and then see if these risks outweigh the benefits. If you are not in a lot of pain, maybe you should avoid it. However, since the arthritis started setting in you have to think things through and see how bad it can go if not corrected. I suppose that the biggest problem would be malposition. Ask questions about that as well.

Your surgeon is the best person to talk to about this. He has an insight into your personal case, sees your feet and knows his/her job. Any questions you may have would be best if discussed with the doc!

I had hammertoe and bunion surgery on both of my feet (all 10 toes) on July 18th. I'm now 5 weeks into my recovery and things are going great. The first day or two was painful (only when I would get up to walk because the blood rushes to your feet). I was in bed with minimal walking for the first two weeks. At that point the stictches were removed and I was given an orthopedic shoe and am able to walk around (on the heels of my feet) a little more. I don't have pain in my fight, but just a "tightening" feeling. Every now and then it feels like someone is squeezing my toes together and I can't bend them. I'm in physical therapy now and am learning to use my toes again. They give you exercises to do (like picking up marbles and curling your toes) to build strength. One of the things I was concerned with was scarring ( I was in shock the first time I saw my feet after surgery). Although I wasn't in any pain, because of all of the stitches (over 100 in both feet), to me, my feet looked awful. My doctor took one look at them at said "Wow! They look great!!! My skin is healing and starting to peel and I will have absolutely no scarring. My next step is to walk flat on my feet. I'm excited about that.
I would say that the most important things to do after the surgery would be to keep your foot up to avoid swelling and follow every direction your doctor gives you. I know someone who had the surgery and didn't follow the doctor's orders. She wore shoes too early and now after 5 years has excessive pain in her feet and can only wear open toe shoes. For me, having the surgery has been so worth it. Hammertoes are genetic in my family so I had them since I was a small child. I'd always hated my feet. Now I look at them and just smile. Hope this is helpful.

I was so happy to see your post. I have 5 toes done 3 days ago. I'm not in alot of pain. I don't need the percocets really and can hobble around but I'm reading such horror stories!! How are you now?

I am 29 years old and just had hammertoe correction surgery on all 4 toes n my right foot 5 days ago. The surgery went great. I have pins in all toes- all the way back to my ankle. I was told I could walk on my heals right away and would be driving in two. Like I said this is now day 5. Walking on my heals is a no go...hurts too bad. I get burning in my toes alot at night. I have been taking Lortab 10's, Ibuprophen 800's and flexeril to sleep and relax the muscles. I recommend staying on a schedule to stay in front of the pain or it is bad!! I have to wait 7 more days to get the bandages changed.
One thing I can say is stay off your feet for the first week and dont push it. Also, take stool softeners and magnesium citrate to combat the constipation from the meds. I was not told and went 5 days now with no BM and was getting sicker by the minute until I called my family doctor. That was the worst.
In 4 weeks I get the rods out and then when it is all healed I go in to get my other foot done. Not looking forward to it but I cant wait to have my feet back!!!

how long after the surgery did it take for your toes to look back normal

let me ask u what kind of procedure did u have and u was in any pain at all u did both fet all 10 toes and had no pain. aslo how old were u when u got ths done and how long did it take for u to get backto normal

let me ask you u had only one foot done and had hammertoes on every foot and udidnt have no pian may i ask how old were u wher u got this done and did u have rigid hammertoes

let me ask has anyone ever have to get there big toe broke to be put back into place and hammertoes done at the same time or just got toe broke and how long did it take to recover and was it reall painfull.can anyone tell meabout this i would appreciate it. doctor says 6 week and is doing 2 feet at the same time smart to do

I am going in for a hammertoe operation on 3 toes, just wondering how much the surgery will cost? I am paying full fee.

can anyne reccomend a surgeon? I'm having a hard time finding one that will do the minimal evasive hammertoe surgery and I want little or no scarring.

I am 42 years old and I suffered a stroke 4 years ago which resulted in hammertoes on my left foot caused from the spasticity (impulses sent out from the damaged part of my brain). I had all four toes fused and the doc cut a one inch section out from my big toe tendon. I would never recommend anyone to have hasmmertoe surgery unless you can't walk!! Before the surgery, my toes would curl under when I was tired or stressed. Now I am in constant pain and can't wear regular dress shoes with a minimal heal. It's been a year since my surgery and I'm learning to live with the pain without any pain meds, but I walk with a noticeable limp. I only did the surgery because two doctors said it would improve my condition. Unfortunately, it made it much worse! I would sooner cut off all my toes than go through it all again. I went back to the surgeon looking for suggestions to ease my discomfort. He recommended more surgery to cut all the tendons in my foot. I more or less told him to go to hell!

On October 18, 2007, I had surgery on 3 hammertoes, my bunion, and my pinky toe, which needed to be straightened. My doctor does not believe in fusing bones, so the hammertoes were straightened by removing bone, eliminating the corn, and no pins. The healing process has been long and painful. The base of my 3 post op hammertoes are fat and hard. It is now almost 3 months later, and my toes are very sore and tender. I don't know how they would be if there were pins in them. I would definitely get a second opinion before letting a doctor put pins in or fuse bones. Just read some of the comments in this forum. I won't get my other foot operated on now that I saw what happened to this one.