I had hammertoe repair and bunionecomty four weeks ago and have severe swelling. (I am one week out of my boot) I am a 54 female and my doctor called it a moderately severe case. I decided to do the surgery now before it worsened. But I am wondering how long I can expect this swelling (and related pain) to continue. When I saw the doc yesterday I think he was surprised at how swollen I am. He wrapped it in an ace bandage. I promised less walking. But I am starting to get concerned. I have a big overseas trip planned for mid-June. Anybody out there have a similar experience?

My wifs's is same. Can I talk with you.? I like sent more information to you. _[removed]_

Richard

I had bunions on both feet (two on the right) and all 8 hammer toes repaired just two weeks ago today. I have had very little swelling and the pins in the toes will come out in two more weeks. My surgeon has me of work for 6 weeks. The first two weeks I have spent either setting in the recliner or laying down with my feet up. I only walk on them to go to the bathroom and from the bedroom to the living room. The only bruising looks like a tan line on top of the feet. I believe the key is to stay off them as much as possible to keep the swelling and bruising to the minumin. Pain was a 8 the first night, and that was my fault because I would not bother the nurses for pain medication. Once home the next day I got it controlled, and by the third day have not had any medication of any kind for pain. Would I do it again? Yes in a heart beat! The time I am laid up will be soon forgotten when I can where shoes again and have no discomfort when walking. I am only 49 and did not want to wait any longer..............

Can i please stay in touch with you? How do you feel now? I am seriously considering doing the surgery in September on all 8 toes (2,3,4,5) on both feet. I want to listen to every step of your improvement. you can email me at imanltd at hotmail? thyank you!

:-P
Hello everyone,
It's good to see thaty I'm not the only one having this problem or has been brave to have this flaw corrected. The only rarity I notice is the age. I am only 28 and I have this problem. But I can be wrong most blogs don't state ages so excuse me. On June 3oth I just had a bunionoscopy as well as tailored bunionoscopy as well as 4 hammertoes done on my (r) foot. I am also dur for my 2nd surgery on he 14th of July. I am ok right now I was given local anesthesia and felt great after surgery & still do, I do experience spontaneous pain but I also have pain medication for it and it works quickly & affectively when needed. But I don't want to become depended on the meds. so I take it as less as possible. My pain isn't as bad but once again I do experience the burning sensation, thanks to the blog on this site I noticed that I was because my dressing was ideed too tight. Once I loosened it it was fine. My question is how longshould I expect bto be out from work? I only took off from work for a month tentatively, depending on my healing progress. But I feel I'm healing great my post op appointment is Monday, July 6. Hope fully I'll get a good review from the doctor. Let you know, thank you.

I had bunions on both feet and all 8 hammer toes two weeks ago. I elevated my feet, iced with minimal walking. My pins and stitches are due to come out in two weeks. The only set back I had was the infection. For ice, use reusable gel begs and apply it on your ankles, because putting regular ice in the zip lock can lick onto your bandage and cause the infection. Infection causes swelling, blueish-redish skin tone and painful, burning sensation which continued for a week. So my doc gave me Cephalexin 500 mg twice a day for 10 days ( I got four more days – finish the course even if it clears infection early). Keep your bandages dry at all times! Pain was manageable the first night and ice and elevation helped a lot! I only needed pain medicine for a few days.

The most important thing is the surgeon you choose. I live in Chicago, but I travelled to New York for this surgery. My feet had a complete makeover. I had ugly corns on all toes, wide feet due to tailors bunions, with long second and third toes gave me shoe size 11 W, I have had enough of physical pain, not being able to enjoy the beach, wear normal open toe shoes, always having to hide my feet in public, at home, from my husband. I never showed my feet to anyone, I was embarrassed. My husband of seven years never saw my feet. I have two kids I hope they didn’t inherit this from me. After this surgery – I am a new person.

Before going with New York option, I interviewed six different, very experienced surgeons in Chicago area, and met no one who knew how (or would agree) to make incisions on the side of the toe. Those with 27 years of experience only knew how they did it back then and they make incisions on top of your foot and toes making ugly permanent scars.. Dr Zong was the only one I could find who did such a beautiful job with side incisions. Big toes and tailor bunions and all four toes were cut on the side. My foot is 30% narrower now. It is amazing. I keep opening my bandages just to look at my new feet every day. I am so excited and pleased with my toes.

All the scars are hidden on the side of my toes and feet. My doc said, the extra skin will naturally pill off along with the corns over the course of six months, so there is no need to cut the corns out scaring your toes.. I cannot believe my feet look so good just two weeks post surgery. I walk with slight discomfort due to the pins and virtually no pain. It takes a little adjustment with first two steps and walking is getting more comfortable every day. My bunions have internal, self-dissolving stitches on a side of my foot. All of my toes have normal parabolic descent as all those beautiful, normal feet out there, (all of my toes were shortened straightened to accomplish that). I cannot bend my toes because I have pins in all 8, but I can feel them all and move them all at once up and down along with my big toes. All of my toes are stitched to the back of my foot to prevent them from lifting up during the healing. So when I walk, one discomfort is the stitches pulling in those areas on the back of the toes. My tendons were released as well with dot-like incisions to keep my toes in laying straight down position.

I have read so many bad stories and most of them gone wrong due to the surgeon’s negligence. I can highly recommend my doc Oliver Zong in New York foot care. His office is on 80 maiden lane. Google him and see his website. He will do the surgery and Dr Dina (his right hand) will be like your mother, always there to answer all of your questions. He and his staff were amazing. My insurance covered everything, I only had to pay $250 out of pocket + travel and hotel (which I have also submitted to insurance). He did my right foot first on Friday and three days later, on Monday was my second foot, and three days later on Friday same week I flew back to Chicago. My husband traveled with me. United airlines has a free wheelchair service from the cab to the plane and back to the cab - take advantage of it! Even though I could have walked on my crouches - I loved the priority boarding, and skipping the long check-in lines at both LGA and ORD airports. Everyone was extremely accommodating and understanding.

For those who have any doubts about the surgery – I can assure you – no matter the state of your foot – it can be made over – the key is your surgeon. Everything else is time & healing. I was able to walk one week later. With so much work being done on my both feet- I could not believe the recovery time was so short. I am still in state of shock that after 30 years of suffering and pain, personally, emotionally and physically – my feet could look and feet like this.

Good luck to all of you. I share your anxiety. My best advice is - do your homework on the surgeon! Its 99% of your success.

You're very lucky. I had the bunion and hammer toe surgery on both feet, the right was in Oct. 2008 & the left Jan. 2009. I was on disability for almost a year, and to date my righy foot continues to be a problem, I can't wear high heals and I can't be on my feet more than 3 hours or I get excruciating pain on both feet at the ball of my foot and toes, it's a burning pain. I paid $350 for orthotics and was told this would take care of my pain to no avail, the pain continues. I relocated to another state but prior to this I told my podiatrist the above, she said I would have to find a podiatrist in the area I live and let them deal with it???? Has anyone ever had problems like I have, please share them with me because I feel like a cripple, I can't even do my yoga practice anymore. Had I know what I now do I would have kept my bunions & hammer toes. Now I have two screws in each foot, there is a raised area on each foot. On my right foot my second toe is longer than the big toe and it drags on the carpet when I walk barefoot, & the third toe is now a hammer toe since the surgery??? Thanks for any feedback.

Thank you very much! Your post led me in the right direction. I am in NYC and was looking online for a surgeon to remove my bunions and hammer toes and after reading your post , I googled Dr Zong and found that I could schedule an appointment and fill out all of the neccesary paperwork in advance. I am looking forward to seeing him and finally getting this work done on my feet. I am 45 and really tired of bunions and hammer toes. Thank you again!

After bunion removal in Feb 2011 I had persistent swelling and was told that I had Lymphodoema and was prescribed some very strong elastic stockings which certainly did the trick. In Sept 2011 I was told by the Lymphodoema Nurse that I didn't have Lymphodoema and wouldn't need to wear the stockings any longer (I was pleased as they were so difficult to put on!)

I had exactly the same surgery on my right foot about a year and a half ago and the left one just 6 weeks ago. I had all the dressings/pins removed about 10 days ago but my foot is still very swollen. I know I'm supposed to stay off it but you can sit with your foot up just so much. In any event I can tell you from my first experience it is all well worth it - my 'good' foot looks fabulous and I'm sure in a couple more weeks this left one will be much better. It does take about 6 months for it to be totally normal (all swelling gone) but again, hang in there, it's worth the reward!

I am 21 and had my tailor bunions removed on both feet, not a great way to start my summer, I'm in fourth day in recovery and I have to say I am healing great except for my feet swell and tripled in size. This is normal it's the body's way of healing and no offense since you are older it's probably just going to be longer for you. It helps if you keep ur feet elevated above your heart and ice 30 minutes on and 30 off through out the day. And if it's that bad and if you think you can tolerate it soak ur feet in cold water and ice for at least 30 minutes a day to help bring down swelling. Good luck!

I live in Chicago and I am beginning to research surgical options and physicians to correct both of my "pinky" hammertoes.

Did you get a consultation from Dr. Larry Keyes? His office is located in Oak Park.

Hi all, my name is Jacki and I am nearly 70. My left foot is the worst with a hammer toe and crooked toes turning to the left. (Inward) And a bunion on that big toe...can't hardly wear any "normal" shoes.

So, I had hoped I could get by with no surgery but started losing balance and burning pain and I work on my feet. A friend of mine recommended Dr. Esway in Richmond, va. He is awesome.

I have just started recovery. Like some of you, the 2nd night with me was the worst. I have to sleep downstairs for a while, (13 steps upstairs) and had to call my husband on the cell phone , almost crying to come help me. He gave me an extra pill, iced my foot and soon I began to relax. Then I fell asleep. The next day I was fine. As a matter of fact, most of the time, I FEEL LIKE  walking but try my best to stay in bed or on the sofa with foot always up.  I went out to dinner once, but was a mistake, it began to bleed (just a tiny bit I think where there were stitches). Well, all has gone fine till Friday when my little dog..who by the way..seems to know something is wrong and has been so good...he lays in one tiny little spot on the bed...like he just wants to watch over me...and not hurt me.

Well my husband came down to take the dogs out, and Mickie heard him and got excited and Jumped across the "hump" I have my foot elevated on ...all night long...and most of the day...He caught his little nail on the edge and nearly pulled my bandage off. It scared me to death. (I do not want to see anything at all until I get back to the office. I almost cried it scared me.) And I can't get the bandage back just right no matter how I "maneuver" it. I hope the Dr. is not mad at me. Now it looks like my foot is a size 9 instead of a 7 LoL in length. I have tugged it a bit, and re wound the elastic around it, but soon it slips  down again because of the special shoe which is tilted to make your heal go downward and your toes upward. I get around fine but, it kills your back even with a cane or a walker.

OK. Just wanted you to know that I'm doing ok..I pray the Dr. give me a good report. I will let you know tomorrow. Jacki

I TRIED TO REGISTER AND IT SAID..IT CAN'T ?????

how great it was to read your post! I am currently sitting in a chair with my feet elevated. I am 52 years old and have a similar past with moderat bunions, and most of all a huge issue with showing my toes anywhere.

All the nice and warm summers, all the others in nice skirts and sandals,,and me with warm closed up toed shoes. It may seem shallow to be concerned about what others think of your feet, but like other things we do feel embarresed about this can be very limiting. I am also aware that others might say and mean that a good pedicure is all thats needed.

But they dont know how this feels. I am one week into recovery after having double bunion surgery and toe shortening and 8 toes. On my right foot he also removed a taylors bunion on the outside of the foot.
I am from Europe and flew into NY and Dr. Zong for this procedure.

It was hard to find anybody I thought could be trusted to fix my feet but Dr. Zong seemed to have the longest experience.

Yesterday the bandages was changed for the first time and I could already see how straight my feet looked! Amazing. There has been quite a bit of pain, but from now on its just day by day getting better. Im thrilled that its finally done!
I didnt even think it would be possible before I found Dr. Zong on the net 2 years ago.

Again thanks for posting,,its so good to read about others experiences.

So to you who are wondering what to do...trust yourself and if problems can be fixed for the better I encourage you to do it. Just choose a good surgeon.