I had Hammer toe surgery 10 days ago on my second third and fourth toes of my right foot.  This morning I had my stitches removed and as usual I was in and out of my Dr.s office in less than 15 minutes.  He took out the stitches, changed the bandage and taped my 3 toes together.  He did not have me move them or try to move them about himself.  Since I have an odd sensation of numbness ans a lack of feeling but can't quite place what toe I can't feel I took it upon myself this afternoon to un bandage the toes and check them out myself.  Well lo and behold my second toe just flops around like the only thing hold it to my foot is the skin.  I can feel that I am touching I have external sensation but aside from that it feels nothing...like it is dead, it just simply rest on my third toe to which it has been taped for 10 days.  Freaking out I called my doc who was very defensive and said they are fine as he saw them this morning but simply looking doesn't you can't tell that it is floppy.  He says that he will see me tomorrow to reassure me after all"a tendon couldn't have snapped since this morning"me that nothing is wrong but he has been so evasive(did not show me post op xrays) and has never spent more than 10 minutes with me pre or post op and until I called him he did not even feel the need to see me again after today until I am ready to have the other foot done (which he wanted to do right away but I said I wanted to wait until I saw how all of this turns out).  Soooo am I paranoid or does anyone else had a dead/floppy toe after surgery and what if anything can be done

I had bunion surgery and at the same time dr said hammertoe should be corrected which left me with a floppy toe 9 years ago. In august i needed hammer toe surgery on the same foot with 3 toes being corrected and dr said this would correct the floppy toe. I still have the floppy toe which lies under my toe.

Hi, I see that your post was 12 months ago but wanted some advice really, as I've just had my 2nd 3rd 4th hammer toes done as well and I'm experiencing what looks like what you did, I had my surgery 4 weeks ago, still have pins in they are due to come out in. 5 days but I feel that I have a numbness sensation under my toes, I can't open my 2nd or 3rd toe it's like they are stuck together but hospital keep saying I need to get them open, my foot looks discusting it's looks like them 3 toes are just dead. How are your toes now? Did it hurt getting pins removed?

To your message re. a floppy toe after hammer toe surgery. I had this surgery a year ago on my second toe. The toe has no support and just leans against the next toe. There is a feeling of numbness and when wearing shoes, there is an odd feeling that there is something caught inside my toe. The surgeon at the post op appointment brushed this aside as said all was ok. One year later it hasn't improved and I wish I had not had the surgery in the first place.