Hi Everyone,

I just had bunion and hammer toe surgery on both feet yesterday morning I was very suprised that I was able to walk out of surgery with a cane because both my feet were still numb my question is how long does it take for the numbness to wear off its been 23 hours and Im still numb is this normal? getting nervous should I call my doctor? thank you

Jo from New York

Wow, having two kinds of procedures on both legs is a brave thing to do, I have to admit.
I’ve been dreading of bunion surgery and am still thinking about my options. I heard that the recovery after bunion surgery may take quite a long time and I am hesitant.

I suppose that numbness, and pain and redness is a common feeling following any of these two procedures. Are you in pain as well? Have you been given any painkillers?

I reckon that you should keep your feet elevated and stay off your feet at least 48h following surgery. You may apply warm compresses on your hammertoe's surgical incision.

Anyway, any prolonged numbness or burning and tingling could mean that your dressings are way too tight. If you experience any other problems, or these persist, you should call your doctor then.
I heard that hammertoe may take from three to six weeks but bunionectomy recovery may take even longer. I guess it depends on how lucky you are!

i had the surgery in sept and my feet are still blown up and hurt so much that i cant stand more then 20 mins at a time

I had bunion surgery/ hammer toe on 2nd June 06.

The most uncomfortable thing for me was the pin that constantly rubbed on my foot.

You had the surgery over a year ago and you're still in pain?

It's been one month exactly from bunion and hammertoe surgery - still have 4 pins in toes but I need to drive my car. Comments please.

I had surgery done on November 3, 2007. Had a bit of bleedng the first day after surgery. Kept foot elevated and cold packs every two hours. Stitches removed in two weeks and pin removed from hammertoe in four weeks. Wore corrective shoe for one month, then switched to Birkenstock sandals. Walking 2-3 miles two months after surgery. Very pleased with the surgery and my surgeon has been doing this kind of surgery for at least 15 years. He gave me vicodin for pain, but I only used a few. Definite uncomfortable feeling in foot for a month or two, but now I'm wearing my New Balance and Earth shoes. Swelling is almost gone and the fact that I can wear closed shoes without my hammertoe hitting the top of the shoe or my bunion sticking out the side is wonderful. When people heard I was going to have surgery they advised against it because they had heard bad stories. Guess those people haven't heard the good surgury stories such as mine. Mostly do what the doctor advises to heal well and be healthy. :-D

do you know what KIND of procedure you had? sounds like good results but knowing that you can walk 2 months after surgery would be more meaningful if we know the type of procedure you had...

I have had bilateral bunion surgery and posted a positive comment about my experience on another page as well. It has been just over 2 months for me and although I am still experiencing a little bit of numbness, I rather that over the sharp bunion pain I have always delt with. I am 30 years old and a passionate volleyabll player in doors and out. This past weekend I played at the beach Saturday and Sunda for over 4 hours each day. I am a little swollen but doing well. I see the doctor again Thursday and can't wait to tell him the good news. I am hoping the numbness completely disapates but if it doesn't at least I am not dealing with painful bunions anymore. :-)

do you know what procedure you had?

I had major foot surgery 2 weeks ago, I have had trouble with one of my toes turning black. My Dr. is very concerned,but so far it's a waiting game. The pain is still pretty bad too. Any body have any suggestions?
Mary

joe

i just wanna know how long was it for ou to get back into a regular shoe and was it very painful. were u in a lot of pain how many days did it take to go away and how man hammertoes did u have did the pain medicine help can u tell me im thnking about dooing this very nervous was it hard to do both feet thinking about do it to

hi im very nervous of getting this done myself i wanna know is it very painful and was it worth doing. also how old were u when u got this done im 22 years old and i feel im to young but th edoctors say that not true and since im young its better.also was getting both feet done the baest thing one doctor says get one at a time but one bperson i taklked to said get both cause u dont wanan go back and do it over i just wanted to know did u experience a burning pain and did the medication they give u nock the pain away also how long did it take for u to get back to a regular sneaker and how many hammertoes did u get fixed i would apperciate if u can respond

i wanna know did u have just one foot or did u have two feet done i have to go threw this on 2 feet and i am very nervous. was it very painful and how long was it for the pain to go away and for u to recover. did the pain mediaction they give you knock the pain away also how old where u when u got this im hearing alot of bad things on teh internet and im ver nervous i would apperciate if u can enlighten me on this. also how many hammertoes did u have can u please email me back also did u experience a burning pain im hearing that alot but one person told me they got both done and he didnt have really no pain that he stood ahead with teh pain killers every 6 hours email me back at ****** or put up a post please thank u

**edited by moderator**emails not allowed**

hi joe i poster a comment yesterday and i wanna know if thie procedure was very painful and u tell me how the first and couple of days after that were . how many hammertoes did u have on each foot andhow long was your recovery. how long did it take to get back into a regular shoe and did u have severe bunions aor mild. slao how old were u when u got this done if u dont mind im 22 yeard old and i wnna know if im to young to get this dione. i hear the younger u are th ebetter it it. also getting both feet done can be less painful. was hard to walk around did u have crutches and where did u get this done at cauase i am also form ny and its hard finding a doctor im comfortable with and has alot of experience in this feild. also was getting bot feet done at the same time better than having one at a time cause i hear it a long recovery and its stressful to go through the procedure agin is that why u did both or doctor said to get both and were u happy with the results if u can email me *****i would appreciate it thank u

**edited by moderator**