Hi All, I am looking for beginner books about yoga, any recommendations?

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

My husband started Yoga about 6 months ago and loves it! He bought a load of books (any excuse!) but having just asked him which he finds the most useful he replied:

"The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide to Yoga Postures - by Christina Brown"

Apparently this book is invaluable because when he forgets how to do a new pattern, he can find it in this book easily and quickly.

He also recommends you get the "Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies".

This is what he used to guide his practice when he's not doing a class. I must say in only 6 months of practice I've noticed a real improvement in his body tone =) Lucky me!

Hope that helps

Fran

I was wondering do you have to do yoga every day, or you can do it just a few days a week?

Your yoga practice is very personal. Each person is working with his/her own mind, body, finances and schedules. People practice for different reasons too: some practice to lose weight, some to calm their mind, while others want to build greater strength or flexibility. The wonderful thing about yoga is that you can do it anywhere, with just yourself!

The tricky part is getting yourself to do it, to do it safely, and in a way that allows you to feel some sense of progress.

I think it’s important to attend classes when you can, so an instructor can do adjustments with you, to build your awareness of how you move, how to practice safely, and how to use your breathe in a pose. These are things you can work on at home too.

However, its’ hard for people to make time each day or to feel motivated practicing on their own, which is why many choose to come to class. On the flip-side, it can feel frustrating to come to a class once a week, and feel sore after each class, or like you aren’t progressing in a pose.

Really a personal decision but a crucial one. Good luck! Are you just getting started in yoga?

Well I was exploring a little bit about yoga, and I found it to be pretty interesting. I didn't even started to practice it yet, but I'm really considering it. I think that I can have two or three day of the week to practice yoga, but not sure that I should do it at my home or I should find a class?! Like you said it is personal decision, and I just can't decide on my own. :-)
Does anybody have experience practicing yoga both at home and at a class???

I actually taught myself yoga at home. I think it's the best way to go--you can practice at first in a comfortable environment and go at your own pace. If you can be disciplined with yourself, then you can really make some awesome progress. I know that you're asking for books, but have you considered videos? There are a lot of free instructional videos on YouTube to where I don't even think paying for books or DVDs even makes sense!

Hi I will look for the videos on Youtube. I don't know way i forget to look there. :-) Still not so sure that this is for me. I am doing some meditation and deep breathing now, and it feels really nice. I was considering in combining this with yoga. So do i need to be careful about this or it is good to combine this?

When I started with yoga, I joined a regular yoga class. It was only after the advanced yoga class that I started practicing at home. But from time to time, I still go to that class. It's always best to do yoga with a yoga teacher before doing it on your own. That way, you already know most of what you should and shouldn't do. good luck!:)

Well I have found one yoga class, but the timing wasn't really good for me. So I do yoga from time to time. Nothing to much. Some basic things. I'm trying to make a Lotus and I am almost there. Tree makes me really relaxed and it helps me with my balance.
What is the hardest position that you have done?

Yeah, I really like the Tree pose:) I think the hardest pose I've done so far is the shoulder stand because I can't really support the weight the lower part of my body for now.

I didn't even tried shoulder stand. I googled it a little bit and it seams interesting. So I will give it a shot i next few days. Yoga has some very interesting positions. And when you see someone performing it, it seams like you can never do that, but with a little practice everything is possible. :-)