I would like to know if one can practice yoga and exercise or go for gymming during periods.

Thank you.

Yes exercise is good for cramps.

rnhealth100% wrote:

Yes exercise is good for cramps.

Great! However, I have got to understand from a friend (who has been practicing yoga since 5 yrs now) that during periods a woman's reproductive system becomes very delicate and practicing yoga or any other kind of a workout could cause irreparable damage. May be we could seek a expert advice on this.

Shining Star

Hi girls!

You might feel like a mess and for that reason think it is better not to exercise. However, exercise during your menstruation cycle is not only safe, it can prove beneficial. If you are feeling irritable during your period, it is difficult to get up and start exercising. However, you should force yourself to try it anyway - try for at least 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes you still don't feel better, it is better to take a break. However, a lot of times you will notice you are starting to feel much better - movement often lessens the period discomfort and also boosts you energy level. 

However, it is importnat not to push yourslef too hard. If you are simply not feeling capable of performing the training session, go home.

Best exercises that you can perfrom during your period are stretching and yoga - they both are beneficial and they do relieve cramps and abdominal pain.

Personally I avoid exercising during the second day when my flow is the heaviest - but if I feel capable I do involve in a gentle workout. I think it is most important to listen to your body and try with the 10 minutes trials - and if after 10 minutes your body doesn't "wake up", it is better to skip the training for that day.