Greeting, i have this 50 year old book of Yoga that explains all of the exercises so i started doing some of them that were pretty easy. But lately i have this problem, i basically have problem breathing. I started to experience this problem after i started doing Yoga by myself. Its like i forget to breath, i would be sitting normally and i would all of the sudden start hyperventilating and i realized i was not breathing for like 20 seconds. 

I was wondering if there is any danger in performing yoga exercises by myself without an instructor.
Could this be caused by Yoga? What are you experiences with this? Thanks!

I've done yoga off and on for several years. I do believe it's one of those things where you can really benefit from instruction, mainly to help you avoid either hurting yourself or developing bad habits. If you cannot locate a class you can get to, at the very least I would try some DVDs. They are likely to be more helpful than still photos.

Hello I live at 11 Renown Street, Keyham, Plymouth

I am a certified yoga teacher in Seattle and it's not the yoga that's causing you to stop breathing, it's you. Yoga is a physical, mental and spiritual practice and since everyone's experiences are different, its impossible for me know why your not breathing for 20 seconds at a time..... It's not the yoga that's stopped breathing, it's you....
This old books that your talking about were around before yoga became popular in the west and it's highly ill advised for you to start doing them with no instruction or direction on your own. You can watch you tube videos, or order DVDS, or you can go and take good classes from knowledgable teachers and change your life.
I don't if your breathing is stopping while your meditating or if your in a particular posture when this happens... Are you practicing pranayama breathing on your own? If you are stop, unless you want to hurt yourself or go insane. There are adverse affects on rare occasions that can occur during deep relaxation and have you really stopped breathing for 20 seconds or does it just feel it? HIghly advanced yogi's are able to go long durations of time between breaths, but they have trained minds prior to doing so. Don't mess around with ancient spiritual practices, you could spontaneously combust.