Anyone have suggestions for dealing with sweaty hands during yoga? :shrug: Any postures that require hands on the mat result in major slippage! I've considered using talcum powder or anti-perspirant. Ayudame!

Gloves? Wieght lifting gloves.

Good idea, Running Brewer! I'll see if I can find some before class Wednesday night. Thanks!

Beatrice, I had the same problem when I started yoga 5 years ago.
If you just stick with it for a few more weeks you will find you have no problem as your body adapts to the poses.
Steer clear of talc and gloves.

I can see steering clear of talc, but why gloves, Phar? That's interesting.

Genie, I suppose I like to keep things a simple as possible, hence no gloves.
As I said I had the same problem and as it was explained to me as your mind and body accept the pose/ansana the sweaty hands cease.
Mind you if they push us into something new and challenging the beads of perspiration still break out.

With gloves, your hands would require subtle adjustment to hold poses. I don't mean constant movement to hold it. Essentially your body would be accomodating an unnatural addition to your body. It would be like wearing socks no matter how snug.

I'm no expert however.

I realize I'm replying to this thread really late, but in case anyone wonders in the future...

I always have sweaty hands in downward dog and used to slide all over. Make sure your mat is of good quality and is truly "sticky." Some new mats take a while to get sticky.

You can also buy a practice rug. Lots of people who practice Ashtanga yoga use these cotton rugs over mats. They dampen the ends of the rug to prevent slipping (pour a little water).

What works best for me is just to place a small towel on the front edge of my mat. No more slipping around!

I use a Mysore-style rug. It's cotton...great for absorbing sweat (I get really sweaty after surya A, and it just gets wetter from there). The black mats are really good too, but they're heavy, so you may not want it if you take classes.

Uf! I forgot about this thread! I eventually got my own yoga mat (had been using the gym's exercise mats, which were really thick and had a heavy coating.) The instructor and I talked about it and she advised me to wash the new mat to make it even stickier. She also said that yoga neophytes tend to sweat more at first...toxins, or something. Basically, the same advice I got here. :) Y'all rawk. Sad thing is, I haven't been to that class in forever. I was having some major stress and medicine trouble and couldn't deal with much more exertion. That was a "power" yoga class -- I loved it, but I think I'm going to wade around in the basic yoga group for awhile. In fact, there is a Pilates intro class followed by yoga tomorrow a.m. That would be a very nice way to start the day. :wiggle: Thanks for all the advice folks!

i have had the same problem. i like to use a pack towel. i like to put one up at the top of my mat for my hands, and if i'm having a particularly sweaty class, i put another one down by my feet.