Hi there, I want to know more about Borderline personality disorder. I heard that this is one of the most controversial psychological diagnoses today. What is so special about this condition? What are the signs and symptoms of the condition? I am eager to hear your responses. Thank you for your time in advance.

Hello, I will try to help you out on this subject. Borderline personality disorder is characterized by "black and white" thinking (two opposite stands). This condition affects patient's total psychosocial facets of life. The interesting thing is that there is mnemonic which is used to remember some of the feats of the condition. That mnemonic is PRAISE. It goes respectfully for paranoid ideas, relationship instability, angry outbursts, impulsive behavior, suicidal behavior and emptiness. The sessions are short but sometimes those are mixed with self cutting or alcohol abuse. Sometimes the self destruction is total - it may end with a suicide. The cause for the condition is probably a mixture of many things. If the patient was neglected or abused as a child and is stressed all the time or had some maturational problems during adolescence, there is a risk of this condition. Physiotherapy and antidepressants are part of the treatment for this very serious condition. I hope that this answers your question.