Hello everyone.

I have a cat for almost 7 years now and she is eating everything. Now I am taking a good care of her and I take care of what she eats. I remember that I was feeding her with corn and wheat gluten and she liked it.  Now when I want to feed her with it again my friend told me that I am insane.

According to her words this is very bad for my cat’s health and I should avoid it. Really?

Is this true? Are corn and wheat gluten bad for my cat?

If this is true, can you answer me why?

Hello. Look, corn and wheat gluten in the most of the cases are not the perfect solution for your cat. Lately this is very popular feeding concept just like high protein diet and low carbo diet program. Well low carbo diet program and high protein have some sense but corn and especially wheat gluten – not! I know that a lot of cats are allergic to wheat gluten so I believe that feeding your cat with it can be very bad. Like you probably already know I am not an expert for cats but I would not feed a cat with it.

Hey there everyone.

Well I have a cat and I can tell you a little bit more about it :)

My cat just can’t stand corn and wheat gluten. I need to tell you that I was forcing her to eat it when she was younger because some people told me that this is the best diet program.

And it is not.

My cat is allergic to gluten and I think that those couple of months were the worst months in my life. I didn’t know what is going on with her. Nether my vet. Should I say that this vet is ex – vet? Because he is.

New vet told me that she is allergic to wheat gluten like a lot of other cats.

I would find other food for my cat if I was you :)

Definitely yes. Corn gluten meals will probably make your cat feel full for a longer period of time, and she might love the taste of these meals, but they will certainly not make her healthy.

You see, this is a very cheap ingredient and therefore you need to be suspicious when you see some food brand at the pet shop with a significantly lower price than other brands, the reason might be that they use corn gluten. And the producers of dry kibble love to use it since it helps kibble to keep its shape.

So be very careful, read the ingredients list  thoroughly if you don’t want to feed your cat with this.

I agree it is very bad. We all know that gluten is bad even for people.

And it is well known that cats can’t digest corn well so by feeding them with it you might be causing them a lot of trouble when their bowels start digesting it.

And can I just say that is very logical to avoid this. Just think about it. If they were living in the wild, cats would consume 1 to 2 percent of carbohydrates. Some popular brands of dry food (which contain corn gluten meal) consist approximately 35 to 50 percent of carbohydrates. This leads to obesity and diabetes in our cats.

I think that the greatest concern when it comes to this are cat allergies. There are so many cats that are allergic to this ingredient. So it is not only poor quality protein source, it’s one of the most common allergens for cats too.

When you feed cats who are allergic to corn with products that contain it, they could experience upset stomach, nutritional deficiencies or even some more serious health issues- they could develop IBD’s. It could happen that the cat start to develop sores or start to lose hair etc.

So to sum it up, yes they are bad for your cat, avoid them.

Hey everyone,

I wouldn't agree with you guys. Gluten free food is never given to cats because gluten food is bad, only because the cat has allergies. You are right about that, most of the cats are allergic to gluten and that's why they need to stay away from it.

But on the other hand, the cats who aren't allergic to gluten should eat it, it is a rich source of proteins. I saw someone wrote that these proteins are low quality ones. Where did you hear that, because I heard just the opposite, I heard that these are high quality proteins and that they are good for your cat.

Hey guys,

I will join the conversation even though I don't own a cat. You are talking about gluten food and it's a lot similar situation with dogs.

I didn't hear that it's bad, either. I know that people don't give gluten food to their dogs in case he is allergic or his stomach just doesn't like it very much. Other than that, people do give it to their dogs and they are satisfied with the quality of these foods.

When it comes to corn, almost all pet owners I have met say it's bad and they don't give it to their pets, I don't know why though.

Hey guys. I have heard as well that corn and wheat gluten are bad for the cats. But I still feed my cat sometimes with it. I didn’t see any changes in her weight, health issues or behavior. She is not having any digestive problems as well. But anyway I am planning to end up this, especially now when I read all your comments about it. I didn’t know that this food can be that bad for my cat. I am very happy because I found this site and just now I am going to make some changes in my cat’s diet program. Thank you!