Hello there. My cat is acting a little bit strange lately. One day she is OK, but next day she has some strange reactions on certain foods and groceries, and she was eating those groceries before. So, one day she can eat it, without any problems, next day she is refusing it. But, I saw that, after she eats those ingredients, she is licking her tummy very often, like she has some rash. I was telling this to my friend, and she told me that this is typical food allergy reaction, and that I should give her novel proteins.

What???

What are novel proteins in cat food? 

Hello. Novel protein can help to support your cat’s nutritional needs and help reduce some of her unwanted symptoms. Novel proteins consist of animal proteins. Some studies suggest that cats can develop food sensitive after eating some type of foods, but usually this happens when you give your cat a food that she hasn’t eaten for a long, long time. Symptoms are same that your cat has – upset stomach and very itchy skin. Those proteins can help you, and you can find them in: duck, sardine, salmon, trout, etc. Try it, but you have to know that it can take a little bit longer than you expected, to see that something is getting better.Good luck! 

It is possible that your cat has developed allergy or intolerance on certain ingredient in foods you give to her (or some ingredient in it).

The novel protein is a new concept in fighting against pets’ allergy. Basically, if you chose to try this diet, you will “give” your cat’s immune system a break in fighting against foreign invaders by switching to different foods (which contain ingredients your cat’s stomach isn’t familiar with).

To do so, you need to identify primary sources of proteins and carbs in your cat’s nutrition and select different foods without those ingredients.

I never tried this concept, but heard many good things about it, so I would give it a try if I were you.

I’ve heard about that. A friend told me about it back when my cat had several rashes on her body.

He said that those rashes may come as a result of my cat eating the same food for years. That was of course not true, she didn’t eat the same food for years. She did only eat dry food though.

Anyway, he told me that Novel proteins are actually animal proteins that my cat hasn’t yet eaten before.

They’re supposed to help cats with food sensitivities. It is thought that cats develop food sensitivities when they eat the same food for a long period of time.

My cat had this rash. It looked like an allergy and we couldn’t get rid of it. My cat wasn’t helping at all since she couldn’t stop licking and scratching that area. I figured it must be an allergy so I tried changing her environment until it goes away. Since I have my own house in the suburbs, we went there for a few days, but the rash was still there.
My brother told me to start feeding her with Novel proteins. I did, and luckily the rash disappeared in a week.
After a while, I started feeding her the same as before. Everything is fine now.

Hello You have exactly the same problem like I had with my cat a few months ago. She was eating always the same food, but one day, she started to refuse certain groceries, such as turkey. So, I really didn’t know what to do, and I found a lot of positive comments about this novel protein. These proteins can help you fight against your cat's allergy, this will help your cat to have good immune system and I know, from my own experience that she won’t refuse to eat those groceries anymore. I am totally sure. You need to be patient :)

Hey. Well, in the pet food industry, a novel protein is a protein that is a source that the pet has never eaten before. They usually are used as pet food for animals that have developed some certain allergies to common protein source. Today, those proteins are really important subject these days, especially when we know that so many cats have food allergies lately. Some of those allergies can cause vomiting, diarrhea, but also some skin problems, such as rash, inflammation, etc. So, to cut long story short, this protein can help you to fight against allergies. It is actually amazing thing as well :)

I heard this woman at work talking about this and I had no idea what it was.

It was just recently when my friend started having allergy problems with her cat and she tried to find a solution by herself since her vet was pretty much useless.

That’s when she told me all about Novel Proteins and why do we give them to our cats. She had found it on some site about health care for cats and dogs.

It’s pretty much what I’ve read here, those are some good explanations.

As for my friend’s cat, she had allergies several times. The minute her owner decided to use the information about Novel Proteins, the cat got better.

I’m glad that this helped your friend’s cat. I remember when I was younger, we had this dog, I don’t know which breed was that, but I loved him so much. He always had problems with allergies and the vets could not solve his problems in long term. I wish we knew about this concept before. We would have been able to help him. When I go back and think about it, I am quite sure that it was the food that was causing his problems. Maybe if we limited some types of food back then… But it is too late now.

I am so glad I’ve found this topic. I first heard of it few months ago when my mother suggested we should start feeding our Baron this way. We eventually gave up that idea cause we didn’t have enough information about it.
I always say ‘’ I’ll look it up on the internet’’, but somehow I always forget to do that. I guess I am just too lazy.
I’ve been on this forum for 4 months or so and I am too lazy to register and also too lazy to post. This is my first post since I started using the forum.:)