I just did botox for the first time and have experienced a horrible side effect called ptosis (eye lid drooping) in one of my eyes. It is so bad that I have one eye almost completely closed and cannot properly see out of it. I feel and look like a monster. My doctor says this has never happened to any of his patients and advices the only thing I can do is wait. I've been waiting and trying to stay positive but it seems my problem is progressively getting worse hour by hour. I just don't know what to do anymore.

When I recieved Botox a year ago I was told that there was a 1% chance of the side effect ptosis. Sure enough, it happened to me! Within 24 hours I noticed my eyelid looked as if were "heavy." Within 3 days, my eye was FULLY closed! It was almost impossible to even open my eye. The side of my face and my ear felt as if it was being tugged on. When I went back to the doctor he prescribed eyedrops (which did not help) and said I should be better in 2 weeks. Well, nope not for me. Every morning i would wake up and look in the mirror and hope to see a slight possitive change. It took 2 months to fully recover!!!! I had many events to attend looking like a monster, its was very humbling. I am still not sure if I was given to much or if the injection was injected in the wrong area. I am a small framed woman so mabe the dose was to much...who knows. I do know one thing - I speak freely about the effects Botox had on me and would NEVER do it again! I hope this helps someone out there. You aren't the only one...please speak up...share your story!

This is a known risk of BOTOX. There is no mystery about it. If the drug gets into the "wrong" place (even in the most skilled hands) it will cause the eyelid muscles to be too weak. This is what's so sad about cosmetic surgery - people are so focused on what they look like - they don't consider the risks. A REAL risk of blepharoplasty is blindness. YES I SAID BLINDNESS. It's uncommon - but if it happens to you - it's doesn't matter how uncommon it is. And it can happen with the best of surgeons. And if if it does happen to you, and it was done by a reputable surgeon, the final answer you're going to get is "if you can't stand the heat (i.e. take the risk), then stay out of the kitchen"

so think twice when you put the priority of your appearance/vanity in front of you health!

I am so sorry!!! Nobody goes into the adventure of having a rejuvenating medical procedure that is generally considered safe thinking they will be one of the few people who experience serious adverse effects. But it happens. And when it does, nothing prepares you for the prospect of being disfigured for who knows how long instead of looking younger. 

See your doctor, or a new one, to see what can possibly be done about this!

And let it be a warning story to anyone considering Botox. Is Botox safe? For some people, not others, apparently. I am sure you would undo it if you could. Those who haven't had Botox yet still can.

I had gone to the same Dr 2-3 times a year for 8 years with wonderful results from Botox.  This time I was not so lucky....I am now suffering from ptosis (eye lid drooping) in my right eye.  Like the previous posts, I look disfigured and cannot open my eye which not only is humiliating but is also causing me difficulty in functioning in my daily life.  I was very disappointed with my conversation with Allergan.  They offered no comfort or reassurance other than I "should be" fine in 3 months.  I asked about the eye drops (Apracionidine) and they said to have my Doctor speak with colleagues to discuss as they cannot comment.  I understand they are protecting themselves against lawsuits but a little compassion toward someone injured by their product would be nice.  The only thing the Allergan Safety Dept person would reassure me about was that this side effect is unlikely to occur again if I continue to use Botox.   Glad they are concerned about future sales.  My Doctor consulted with an Ophthalmologist and he recommended Apracionidine .5% drops.  It took me some time to find the medication as Rite Aide does not carry the product.  Once I put the drops in my eye I was able to open my eye enough to see.  I still look disfigured but at least I can see to function.  I am an actress/model so I am horrified by this side effect and hope my cells can regenerated sooner than later.

I too am living a botox nightmare. Going on 3 yrs, please dont let that discourage you my story is different. Although it started like yours .I had a problem with the left eye. The Doctor injected more telling me it would correct the problem. What happened from there is unbelieviable. It migrated into my blood stream. Entering the frontal lobe of my brain spreading all over my body. Allegan owns the Med community. No Dr. will associate with any negitivity surronding botox. I have tried over and over to get medical attention to no avail. My blood pressure has dropped to 80 over 40. Test reveal thickening of the scalp and the presence of cellutis .My immunal globin is very high indicating by body is termoil desperatly fighting something(botox poisoning). I have been tested for disease known and all results are neg. Still the Doctors are hesitant to admit botox is cause, the one Doctor Im seeing will only say I need time. He will niether admmit nor denie the toxin is robbing me and my family of the happy life we once had. I can not tell you this will end soon. Botox paralizes the body and if it enters the blood stream its hard to say when it will be omitted completely. I will offer sugestions, Iam not a Doctor. Please talk to your doctor before doing or taking any thing I have used to ease the pain and humilation. Cilantro, the herb is a good anti-toxin as well as jalapenos. I like them both so it was a no brainer for me. I believe the come in a capsule .Massage, Im a licsensed comsetologist so I have a back round in massage therapy. Not in spelling or grammar as you can see! Look into massaging the eye area to help the toxin free up from keeping your eye displaced. There is a liquid clay you can drink. Not to tasty but will absorb toxity faster from your system, than if your body can do on its own. Stay clear of all caffiene, I know it sucks but it will help to heal quicker. Im sorry to hear that one more person like yourself is suffering. The public has no ideal just how deadly this toxin is. Here in ca people think its magic.If they only knew that a single table spoon of botchulism has the capacity to kill 1.2 billion people, yes 1.2 billion human beings they woud be shocked and frightened. Im certain in the next decade the truth will be revealed. The injections are endless, given by just about every kind of physician. Botox the cure can go wrong,its a small % that become ill or at least that are coming forward. I was so ashamed and humilated for the first 2 yrs I would not speak out ,no way no how. Now it will be 3yrs in Dec, and I'm mad as hell, disgusted with allergan and have no faith in the medical community. The only hope I have left is God and karma. I have to believe one of the two will make it right. One day what is morally good and right will triump over what is greedy and inmorale. Until then I must except the sad reality that is my life .Deal with the damages botox poisoning has caused for me and my family. The most heart breaking is my children.My beautiful children one boy and one girl who can not understand who took their outgoing happy mother from them and replaced her with a mommy always sick, imprisoned to the home and almost unreconizable. You must push and push dont let this defeat you.There is a light and you will find it. Best wishes for the future.
Sincerely Jen P.S author Dr. Eric Kaplan wrote Dying to be young, Its his story about how he and his wife nearly died after recieving botox. Its a sad story but I think anyone who has been harmed by botox will benfite from reading it.

I am sorry you are suffering. I am a victim of botox poisoning myself, not fully recovered yet, but there is hope. Actually, Kaplan's book has give me so much encouragment. He receive a dosis about 3000 times higher then I or you did - and survived & recovered. Maybe not 100%, but he is vital & working & enjoying life. Besides, his and his wife's brains were not toxified. Botulism toxin molecule is about 500 times too large to cross the blood brain barrier. Try not to worry so much. Take the message of Dr. Kaplan, be strong!

thank you for posting. Am scheduled for botox into back spasm. will be canceling my appointment

All, I had Dysport in April 2016, extreme acute vertigo in June 2016. Not thinking about the injection and vertigo connection I had Dysport again in July. Within two weeks I vebvams sensitive to light, sound, vertigo, nausea and severe teeth clenching that I fractured a tooth. I still didn't make the connection. In October 2016 I had Botox (did mention the vertigo to aesthetician & of course "she never heard about that"). Immediately I got flu like symptoms started having panic attacks, crazy anxiety, fatigue, loss of appetite, eye fluttering, loss of feeling in hands, intense vertigo and nausea. Finally I read the warning labels and sure enough all my symptoms were there. I've had so many tests and read so many stories, spoke with a toxicologist , neurologist & everyone says the same thing. Because it's not science backed it's not really acknowledged- they say it's medicine and anything can happen but we haven't heard of it. I've searched high and low and nothing about if the damage is permanent or treatment. You have to just wait it out. I am terrified not knowing what the damage is. I know my entire central nervous system is affected and all over some stupid choice I didn't research and at 35 no knowing when my life will return to normal.

I was injected with 30 units of Botox (20 forehead and 5 to bilateral crows feet on October 28. In hindsight, it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Like many others, I believed this toxin was safe and did little to no research. My physician also tiptoed around the possibility of any serious complications. I felt fine initially, then 3 days later left work early...dizziness, lightheadedness, palpitations, headache, pure panic. My initially instinct was “Oh no, I’m having a reaction to Botox.” As you all are aware, Allegran makes these symptoms downplayed or “unrelated.” 3 months into this nightmare and I’m still trying to find relief. I use to be very social, an avid runner and spinning enthusiast. I now struggle to get through my workday then go home mentally and physically exhausted like never before. I no longer attend social events or my exercise. I’ve spent so much money on negative work ups (ER visit, primary care visits, cardiology appointments, EKGs, CTs and so much blood work) only to be told “everything’s fine” I finally received psychiatric care, as so many of my provides insisted there was nothing physically wrong. I am currently on Lexapro, which has helped minimally with the intense anxiety attaches. I in no way feel like my prior self though. I have spent so much time scouring the internet in hopes of something to just get me through life with these symptoms. As many of you might have found in your internet searches, there are countless sites documenting the terrible results of receiving these reactions. Unforiatnely, many of these sites are not updated and currently have little or no traffic. Therefore, I have made a ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi just wondering how you are feeling now? I had my 1st & last boxot on the 6th dec 2017 & have been suffering the same as you. I have started on a natural path of acupuncture, herbs & counciling & have started feeling a big difference. I’m struggling to let go completely though. But I’m feeling very hopeful.

I have suffered the same as you, I am completely healed it took over a year.

What did you to get better

OMG! Very sorry to hear that! I was planning to do botox as well. And a few days ago I attended the seminar about stem cell skin rejuvenation. It was held by doctors from N-graft Cosmetics. I was it two mind after this seminar and couldn't decide what would be better stem cell treatment or botox. Now I'm completely sure I won't do botox! Thank you for sharing the information