Hi, guys. My sister in law suffers from blepharospasm. She visited ophthalmologist, but she isn't satisfied with the current treatment. I wonder whether there is an alternative treatment for for blepharospasm. I would really like to help her. What do you think? I would like to hear your opinions. Thank you in advance.

Hello. You haven't mentioned which therapy your sister in law has been given. I am not sure about alternative treatment for blepharospasm. I know that there are some new methods in official medicine. Was your sister offered a possibility of treatment with Botulinum toxin type A? This toxin is not injected into the eyes directly. It is administrated into the tissue that surrounds affected eye(s). I am sorry that I don't know more details. Perhaps, someone else will. Good luck!

There seems to be a mistake here.
The diagram suggests left hand but the writeup says Right hand.

Which one is it ? or does it not matter ?

To the person who is looking for an alternative for Blepharospasm. I am a non-suffering sufferer of Blepharospasm and may have the alternative you seek. Please go on my site and then call me. Thank you. Steve Zarren ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi My Name is Samantha, I;m 18 years of age and have suffered from chronic eye twitching/blinking since i was 3. It would come and go and stay no longer then a few monthsat a time when i was younger, now i'm finding it occurs moreso just before my period. I was wondering if there was anything natural and affordable i could do to fix this. Its acctually happening right now, which is half the reason i thought i'd look into it a bit more. Its extremely frustrating and effect my ability to carry out simple tasks. I ran into a woman at work today. And i don't think it is that closely tied to stress because it didn't appear throughout my final hsc exams. It looks like i'm blinking really rappidly and i feel my eyes and surrounding nerves tense up, when it gets really severe my eyes scrunch really hard together and they become all blood shot. PLEASE HELP........

Nice to have so many people sharing and giving suggestions here. My dad had the Blepharospasm for nearly three years and become worse. He has serious drinking problems for almost 30 years. And even he had the medication for blepharospasm, he still drink more than 2 bottles of wine per day. So I am really concern that his drinking problem will make his BSP symptom worse.
Could anyone give me some ideas about drinking and BSP symptom?

IM NEW AT E MAILING BUT I WANT TO TALK TO OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT WHAT I HAVE AND I HAVE QUESTIONS TOO. I DONT FEEL THE WINE HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT, I LOVE RED WINE & DRINK A FEW GLASSES A NIGHT. ITS NOT AN EASY THING FOR ME TO TALK ABOUT, I HAVE BEEN VERY STUBBORN ABOUT ACCEPTING WHAT I HAVE AND AM ACKNOWLEDGING IT AFTER SEVERAL YEARS. AS I GET OLDER I MUST REALIZE IT IS REALLY SOMETHING I MUST DEAL WITH AND I AM VERY STUBBORN. I HAVE HAD ACCUPUNCTURE WHICH WAS A TOLAL WASTE OF MY MONEY & TIME, ALTHOUGH IT WAS RELAXING, BUT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SYMPTOMS AT HAND. I WAS IN TOTAL DENIAL BUT BOY DO I REALIZE NOW.. I FEEL FOR YOUR FATHER & YOU BUT I TRULY BELEIVE IT IS NOT THE WINE NOR WILL IT FIX THE BLEPHAROSPASM,. I GET INJECTIONS AND DECIDED TO WAIT 6 MONTHS TO DO ANOTHER TREATMENT, NOT A GOOD IDEA I SUFFURED TO LONG, 3 MONTHS A GOOD THING FOR ME NOT SIX MY EYE MUSCLES WERE WAY TO SORE FIGHTING THE BLINKING. I WISH I KNEW WHAT WOULD EASE THE SPASMS & MY MUSCLE SORENESS WITHOOUT TAKING MEDS, WHICH I DO NOT WANT, BECAUSE MOST ARE HABIT FORMING & DO NOT WANA GO THERE. I SAY TRY TO RELAX YOUR FATHER & MAYBE NOT 2 BOTTLES OF WINE A NIGHT THAT WOULD MAKE MY EYES CLOSE FOR A WHILE BUT MAYBE THATS HIS WAY OF TRYING TO RELAX THEM I'M NOT SURE BUT I DO SYMPATHIZE BECAUSE THIS IS NOT FUN & ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A STRONG PERSON & DONT WANT TO LOOK WEAK IN ANY WAY. LOVE YOUR FATHER WHICH I SEE YOU DO OR YOU WOULDN'T BE CONCERNED, HE WILL BE ALLRIGHT AS I WILL TOO, ITS JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED & WHY & HOPING EVERYONE AROUND YOU IS CARING & UNDERSTANDING AS YOU ARE.

I had this condition for two years with dr's who never said it was blephorospasm.  I now know that is what i have and nothing is working on it.  So far they have tried me on every one of the medications, some with bad side affects.  and the 589 dollar botox which only made my right eye close even more.  There has to be a way to get this condition under control.  I cannot accept i will be legally blind.  Can anyone relate to my situation.  Can anyone respond and tell me your story with this c**p.

May I ask how long you were taking acupuncture and how often? Once a week, once a month? And for how long? Also were you going to a reputable acupuncturist? I have bleph and just started about a month ago and have started to see small changes, but go once a week.

Thank you for responding!

mommalor123 wrote:

ar wrote:

Thank you for responding!

This is "Mommalor" and wrote about 3 weeks ago about acupuncture. Could you kindly answer my questions that I posted above? I have been taking acupuncture for about 2 months know and notice small but visible differences. The only complaint I really have about it is that it makes me really tired the day of and day after it. Other than that, I do think it is helping somewhat. Would love to know how long and how often you did this for. I also don't want to waste my money, but am looking for an alternative since botox helps me very little. Actually, I would be happy for ANYONE to reply to this who has had any experience with this since I noticed this person above wrote this over a year ago and may not be on here any longer. Thank you!

Could really use your help please let me know

I've been suffering from Blepharospasm  for 6 months and a cure that helped me was CHINESE HERBAL TEA. The Chinese have had remedies for over 1000 years and is much more effective then modern medicine. Go to a Chinese herbal medicine place ( hard to find) and they will check u up, then give a special tea for YOU which you drink for a week. This relaxes the eye and defiantly helps. You should give it a try.

Do you know what kind of tea that they gave you? I am going to try and find a Chinese herbal medicine place but thought it would be helpful to know what you may have had that helped you. Thank you for sharing!

My left eye has twitched for about the last four years.  It seems tied to the workings of my mouth (synkinesis). It's difficult eating out at a restaurant sometimes because chewing sets it off.  I am also very self-conscious about it which just seems to make it worse.

I went to a neuroscience institute and had several tests, including two MRI's. I was told that something is haywire in the basal ganglia of my brain, cause unknown, cure unknown.  I also had an EMG (electromyographic) test to evaluate the functioning of my facial nerves and muscles. It showed no issues, so I have always thought my synkinesis comes from misinformation sent by my brain, or from nerves that misfire.

The only option offered to me was Botox but my insurance no longer covers the injections. They consider it "cosmetic" and I can't afford to pay for it myself.  I had tried Botox when my insurance covered it. One time the injections were given in my eyelid. OMG! My eyelid was paralyzed and I couldn't hold my eye open, got double vision ... very scary. I wore an eye patch for three months worried that it would be permanent. It finally wore off, thank goodness. When the injections were given in the right place, I did have some improvement but not perfect. I definitely would not recommend injections in your eyelid, though!

Now for some more optomistic news.  I happened to read about Natural Beta Carotene supplements. Since Beta Carotene is what's in carrots and is supposed to be good for the eyes, I ordered supplements and I have been taking them for about a month now, one in the morning and one in the evening at bedtime.  What I'm taking is a 25,000 IU pill, twice daily, which converts to 15 mg per pill according to what I find on the internet (30 mg/daily).

I didn't really expect any kind of improvement. However, I'm convinced I have less twitching. This morning I looked in the mirror and said the vowels (in an exaggerated way) and my eye did not twitch once. If you decide to try this, be sure to purchase NATURAL Beta Carotene and not synthetically made. The brand I bought is "NOW." I bought them online and paid about $13.00 for 180 tablets.

I have been tempted to increase the dosage since I feel I am seeing results, so this morning I took two pills, and stayed with one pill at night to see if it improves even more.  I will keep to this dosage for the next month, then decide whether to alter the dosage further.

I know I'm not imagining this. My twitching has decreased, which makes me question whether my issue is a brain issue at all. It would seem to be more of a deficiency directly involving my eye since the Beta Carotene is helping. Anyway, that's my latest. Because this supplement is not regulated by the FDA there are no guarantees or promises, of course. However, everything I've researched online says the NATURAL product causes no harm, and may even give your skin a summer sun "glow!"   Nancy

Thank you, Nancy. I will definitely try this. My 10 year old daughter has similar symptoms, including eyes rolling back in her head. When they are apparent we give her a children's magnesium supplement, which helps them to go away after a couple of days. As she gets older, she would prefer not to wait a couple of days for the relief, so I will try the Beta Carotene. Thank you again.